Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:59 AM   #26
cvaldes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
wow 98% huh? I wonder where you got that statistic sounds really accurate
Look up the word 'hyberbole' in the dictionary and get back to us. Thanks.

In any case, I'm probably within five percentage points of the actual number. The vast majority of the rumors here end up being false.
cvaldes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:12 PM   #27
janderson0719
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fusion View Post
If this is true, it will be my first iPad purchase.

I waited for the hi-res display of the latest iPad but was quite disappointed that it was thicker, heavier and a battery hog (because they didn't wait for the IGZO display.) And now it'll also have the new dock connecter.

I'm sold!
Battery hog?

My iPad 3 lasts for DAYS and DAYS and DAYS....
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:23 PM   #28
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
In any case, I'm probably within five percentage points of the actual number.
I'm sorry, but there is no way that is true. It is no where near 90%. I wonder if Arn keeps any sort of statistics on the number of rumor articles being true/false.

But of course I'm sure there are many that end up being "false" only because something changed. For example, let's assume that the iPad mini rumors are completely accurate, but Apple executives decide tomorrow that the 7" tablet market hasn't turned out to be as large as they had been expecting over the past year, and decide to cancel the launch. Does that make every iPad mini rumor false?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:44 PM   #29
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

hopefully this isn't all the iPad mini turns out to be.
charlieegan3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:56 PM   #30
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple revised the iPad with the new dock connector so that all the iOS products switched at the same time.

If that happens, it also wouldn't surprise me if they made some additional revisions at the same time. Not sure if that would go so far as to switch over to the IGZO screens that were rumoured to be wanted originally in the 3rd generation, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I think the annual revisions have become a bit of a chain around Apple's neck. I think they would like the flexibility to update when new tech and designs are ready. A small update out of sequence could be a good way to test the waters for flexible update times.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:15 PM   #31
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
If they revise it and make it thinner, they just screwed people that bought the "old, thicker iPad 3"
Not really, if you're a gambler and play your cards right you can sell your current iPad 3 on ebay for almost the same amount you paid (I'm basing this off my $729 32 GB LTE model which is running between $650 - $800 on ebay).

Personally I plan on selling mine, moving to ATT's share plan with the new iPhone (which will enable tethering) and buying the newer iPad 3 64 GB wifi only.

iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:25 PM   #32
nfl46
macrumors 601

Please, this is the 4th Generation iPad they are working on. It'll be a tweaked version of the 3rd Generation iPad. Release date: 2013. No point of releasing a tweaked version of the 3rd later on this year, when we can just wait until March 2013 for the new iPad.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:26 PM   #33
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

For the 3rd-party vendors' sake, I hope they don't change the overall thickness in mid-cycle. Reduce the weight and/or put in a larger battery. That will keep the customers happy IMHO.
BornAgainApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:30 PM   #34
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
I bought an iPad last week, it had a ding on the aluminum, so I shipped it back.
All iPads are out of stock, and my replacement iPad has been put on hold.

I call this one plausible.
According to apple.com, they have all iPad models in stock...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:37 PM   #35
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvizzgamer101 View Post

That would be in the 4th Gen not a revision of current generation hardware.
I understand the updates I'm listing would be, I guess i'm thinking leave it the size it is now, so that at the next major revision they can pack even more power into it. If they shrink it now, they won't want to back step and make it thicker again. but the case makers will love the thinning, then they can sell all new cases.
arkmannj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:39 PM   #36
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Stopped reading at Digitimes.

Seriously... I think Apple will outfit the current iPad with the new connector ASAP. I don't think they are going do a complete revamp and take thunder away from the iPad mini. They are posturing the mini to be the star of the holiday season. Also, Apple likely still wants the spring revenue rush a new iPad brings in.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 02:20 PM   #37
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjumper View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Apple revised the iPad with the new dock connector so that all the iOS products switched at the same time.

If that happens, it also wouldn't surprise me if they made some additional revisions at the same time. Not sure if that would go so far as to switch over to the IGZO screens that were rumoured to be wanted originally in the 3rd generation, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I think the annual revisions have become a bit of a chain around Apple's neck. I think they would like the flexibility to update when new tech and designs are ready. A small update out of sequence could be a good way to test the waters for flexible update times.
I agree. Apple might just announce a dock connector update for the current iPad and maybe change several internal things on the sly
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 02:35 PM   #38
Bevz
macrumors 6502a

Didnt we have all this kind of stuff said last year with the ipad2?
Cant see this ever happening.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:12 PM   #39
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Not going to happen until the 4th gen iPad.
Yes it is. Current product runs too hot.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
I agree. Apple might just announce a dock connector update for the current iPad and maybe change several internal things on the sly
Nothing sly. They will simply announce it as "just the connector". Wait till ifixit opens one up
Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:15 PM   #40
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
If they revise it and make it thinner, they just screwed people that bought the "old, thicker iPad 3"
how? i bought my ipad when it came out, ive gotten tons of use out of it, and it will continue to do its job just as well as the day i bought it.
mdelvecchio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:17 PM   #41
striker33
macrumors 65816

Hate seeing rumours like these while I'm waiting for my iPad to be delivered.

Saying that, this will be my 6th iPad 3rd gen, so I'm not too hopeful that I'll get a good one anyway.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:25 PM   #42
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
Yes it is. Current product runs too hot.
How is it 'too hot' ? Is it scalding and giving you 3rd degree burns? It doesn't even get close to the same temperature as my MBP does, which gets really hot, and yet that is still manageable.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:56 PM   #43
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderson0719 View Post
Battery hog?

My iPad 3 lasts for DAYS and DAYS and DAYS....
Did you read that he doesnt own it? Stupid comment. (from him)
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:05 PM   #44
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502

Gotta admit, entitlement or not, I'd be upset if they revved the iPad less than a year after it was released.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:59 PM   #45
Battlefield Fan
Banned

My couple month old iPad 3 will cry if this comes true.
Battlefield Fan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:07 PM   #46
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
Please, this is the 4th Generation iPad they are working on. It'll be a tweaked version of the 3rd Generation iPad. Release date: 2013. No point of releasing a tweaked version of the 3rd later on this year, when we can just wait until March 2013 for the new iPad.
I'll wait for the iPad 4.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:14 PM   #47
Spock
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Spock Send a message via Yahoo to Spock
This is the same rumor that popped up last year around this time, this is a iPhone event and maybe iPods, not an iPad event. The iPad will get the newer dock connector in March 2013.
Spock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:17 PM   #48
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker33 View Post
Hate seeing rumours like these while I'm waiting for my iPad to be delivered.

Saying that, this will be my 6th iPad 3rd gen, so I'm not too hopeful that I'll get a good one anyway.
Either you're on a serious run of bad luck or your standards are set WAY too high. I notice you've also had a few MBP's replaced. Out of curiosity, please post what problems you've had with said devices.
BornAgainApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:23 PM   #49
striker33
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainApple View Post
Either you're on a serious run of bad luck or your standards are set WAY too high. I notice you've also had a few MBP's replaced. Out of curiosity, please post what problems you've had with said devices.
iPad - Yellow tint to the left side of the screen on all of them. 2 of them also had an extremely pink screen for some reason.

Macbook - Dead pixels on first, lid bent on second (wouldnt close), yellow tint & pressure mark on screen of 3rd.

In fairness I dont think its down to bad luck. A couple of mates both have an iPod touch latest gen, and they both have issues with the top of the screen falling away due to an adhesive problem, but they are too lazy to sort any problems like that out.

Apple's quality control is just extremely poor where screens are concerned. In 2010 I went through 3 iMac 27" due to yellow tint issues as well. The replacement for my iPhone 4 (camera light stopped working) had an extremely dark yellow screen. My iPhone 4S had a big pressure mark in the middle of what was otherwise a perfect screen, and its replacement had the trademark yellow tint on one side of its screen.

Last edited by striker33; Sep 7, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
striker33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:25 PM   #50
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Quote:
How is it 'too hot' ? Is it scalding and giving you 3rd degree burns? It doesn't even get close to the same temperature as my MBP does, which gets really hot, and yet that is still manageable.
The current iPad uses Dual Light Bars due to production issues with the intended IZGO Displays not being able to meet QC standards, and production levels.

Therefore, a larger than desired battery and room for the 2nd light bar resulted in an increase in thickness, and heat approaching the spec limit just about 100% of the time.

The new displays are now at an inventory level whereby a single light bar, smaller battery size, and thinner case can be produced as intended. They run much cooler, and are let's say, the iPad 3S.

I do not anticipate a new case yet. Just the Display and Battery Packs. Consumers won't know the difference other than the new connector.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion