Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:32 PM   #51
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Not going to happen until the 4th gen iPad.
very strongly likely not.

but the 'iPad pro in the fall' rumors have been around since the original ipad and never fail to appear every year. so they had to say it this time and they will next time.

the only way they would backtrack and revamp the iPad 2 or ipad (3rd gen) is if there is some vital piece in this new dock connector that simply must be had right now. And that's very unlikely so no change. and this ipad mini, if it is real, won't introduce any new tech to the game. that will come in the spring.

I suppose they could release the ipad (4th Gen) now before the hoiidays and switch it to a fall release but I can't see the logic in that unless they are going to shirt the notebooks to the spring completely. otherwise they would have a full quarter if not more without something to draw sales. not good for the stock value

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkmannj View Post
Am I the only one that doens't really care if it gets thinner?
I'd much rather see more processing/graphic power, additional memory, additional storage, and additional battery life before it being any thinner.
only three things I would want or like to see

1. better battery, always
2. more processing/graphics power in particular power that would make it better able to use in sunlight


those two are my wants.

my 'I wouldn't turn it down' would be a more sensitive touch screen with perhaps even pressure control. I draw a lot so it would be a nice feature to have. particularly if I could turn it on and off as it might not always be good to have (just like multitouch gestures can sometimes be bad to have on)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
Yes it is. Current product runs too hot.
mine has only ever been noticeably warm if I have it on the charger for a while. especially if I'm playing hours of video with it on the charger.

You might have a bug in your system. Some hinky software perhaps. might want to sync that data over to the computer and restore that bad boy.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:48 PM   #52
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Because people would want a free upgrade to the "thinner iPad 3" Apple would get a lot of backlash if they didn't do this. Similar to the iPhone first generation price drop when they gave everyone some money back.
The fact is Apple isn't screwing anyone. They're releasing a new product. Just because people get p*nis envy doesn't mean its Apple's fault.
Lark.Landon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:03 PM   #53
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
Entitlement much?

Those people are crybabies.

Prices change, new products arrive every day. I filled up my car two days ago. If the price of gas drops next week, should I throw a fit at the gas station?

There's a better version of my toaster oven on store shelves now.

Do I get infuriated by Apple because my iPhone 4S is a small porky slowpoke when the next generation handset is announced? No, because I actually have a grip on reality and am not an entitled self-absorbed twit.

Well said.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker33 View Post
iPad - Yellow tint to the left side of the screen on all of them. 2 of them also had an extremely pink screen for some reason.

Macbook - Dead pixels on first, lid bent on second (wouldnt close), yellow tint & pressure mark on screen of 3rd...
You're on a run of bad luck. Yes, these things happen... but... 6 times must really suck bro. I'm sorry
Lark.Landon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:27 PM   #54
Don Kosak
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
The highly predictable "annual release cycle" actually hurts Apple in the marketplace.

It causes too long of a "blackout" period where people are hesitant to buy because a new model is just 2-3 months away...

If they did updates more like other products (iMacs, Macbook Airs, etc.) then that blackout period would only be a few weeks long.

The annual release cycle also hinders Apple from making small incremental improvements - like slight speed bumps etc. These incremental improvements have let companies like Samsung get buzz several times a year as slightly improved models of the same basic device get released.

I think it's highly probably that Apple will be releasing incremental updates to iPad hardware. It's not like a phone that comes with a 2 year contract -- so it's to their advantage to do so.
__________________
iMac, MacBook, MacMini, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, AppleTV
Developer of Wiki Edit - the MediaWiki Editor for iPad
Don Kosak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:32 PM   #55
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
I hope that they find some way of revving the iPad 3 to support a charge current of >2A (or a higher charge voltage). The new dock connector may address this issue.

The current iPad 3 recharge rate is way too slow. As the owner of a 1 and a 3, the 3 is really starting to annoy me in this respect.
Use it during the day, and charge it over night using the USB plug. I really don't see how difficult that is...
Pakaku is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:39 PM   #56
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I can see them maybe updating it for the new dock connector. But any other type of re-design I call BS on. Tech gadgets do not need to be re-designed every 6 months. if Apple comes out with a new iPad and its basically the iPad they wanted to release in March you'd have a whole lot of angry customers feeling they got screwed.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:52 PM   #57
striker33
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I can see them maybe updating it for the new dock connector. But any other type of re-design I call BS on. Tech gadgets do not need to be re-designed every 6 months. if Apple comes out with a new iPad and its basically the iPad they wanted to release in March you'd have a whole lot of angry customers feeling they got screwed.
But as others have said, they'd be wrong to feel screwed.

The people who cry about it are just too damn fickle. I'd hate to think what they'd be like owning an Android device, as they become irrelevant after less than a month.
__________________
6th rMBP returned. 3rd iPhone 5 returned. Gone back to the trusty 4S. Tim Cook sucks.
striker33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 08:26 PM   #58
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God
 
firestarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Green and pleasant land
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
Use it during the day, and charge it over night using the USB plug. I really don't see how difficult that is...
Thank you captain obvious!

If you ever travelled beyond your neighbourhood you might encounter a scenario where you drain the unit then don't have a convenient 6 hours to charge.
firestarter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 08:53 PM   #59
kfscoll
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
I bought an iPad last week, it had a ding on the aluminum, so I shipped it back.
All iPads are out of stock, and my replacement iPad has been put on hold.

I call this one plausible.
Uh, according to the online Apple Store, every iPad model is currently in stock.
__________________
Late '13 nMP (6-core / 512GB SSD / D700 / 32GB RAM) Mid '12 15" 2.7GHz i7 rMBP iPad Air 128GB+AT&T LTE iPhone 5s 64GB iPod classic 160GB iPod nano 7G 16GB
kfscoll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 08:54 PM   #60
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
This is another of those rumours that just gets floated every year. Like the smaller iPad - also rumoured for every October since iPad was released. Neither have happened, yet.

Unlikely Apple will do 2 releases of iPad in the same calendar year, even if they want to make a space for a Television. Moving iPhone didn't result in an earlier release, only a later.

Anything is possible, but it's sad to see so many people getting worked up about rumours that come back every year… maybe this year it will really happen!

Wake me after the keynote. This is getting tedious.
albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:07 PM   #61
the8thark
macrumors 68040
 
the8thark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Not going to happen until the 4th gen iPad.
Quoted for truth.
Does not take a genius to work this one out.
__________________
Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:16 PM   #62
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Great...now MR is getting spammed. Spam alert in comment 61.
BornAgainApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:30 PM   #63
x13gamer
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pure Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
Entitlement much?

Those people are crybabies.

Prices change, new products arrive every day. I filled up my car two days ago. If the price of gas drops next week, should I throw a fit at the gas station?

There's a better version of my toaster oven on store shelves now.

Do I get infuriated by Apple because my iPhone 4S is a small porky slowpoke when the next generation handset is announced? No, because I actually have a grip on reality and am not an entitled self-absorbed twit.
How about when your 1st gen iPad can't be updated to iOS 6 and its 2.5 years old? I have had my MBP since late 06 and have been able to do three major software updates in 6 years (10.5, 10.6, and 10.7) and have only gotten two major iOS updates out of two years before not being able to upgrade it anymore?
__________________
Apple II plus,Apple IIe, Apple LC, and that's just the old ones to name a few... Don't tell me you're an apple Fan.
x13gamer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:03 AM   #64
Tiger8
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
Here we go again

Guys we discussed this exactly one year ago, and it never Happended.

apple have absolutely no reason to release a mid-year revision, iPad is still selling like hot cakes, I have no doubt the new iPad (4th gen) will be thinner with longer battery and what not, but there is absolutely nothing wrong ith the 3, it is very usable and a great device, and I'll live at the $399 price point next year.
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:34 AM   #65
CoreyLahey
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
And how are those people screwed? Do their iPads suddenly stop working when the next model shows up?

Did Apple screw me -- an iPad 2 owner -- by releasing the Retina iPad?

That said, this is an inane rumor -- and like 98% of the rumors here -- that is unlikely to end up being true.
If they would release an improved version in such a short time frame, Apple would have ****** buyers of the iPad 3 in the *** without buying them dinner first. I also have an iPad 2, and I would've been mad as **** if they had released an update within the same year. They need to focus on releasing their outdated products instead of hyping the next ****phone or ****pad, also nobody needs that many laptops. Seriously though, the nice think about Apple is yearly updates, unlike Android phones or PCs which are outdated within 2 weeks/months. Technological progress is one thing, selling the same product in a slightly better packaging is another. If the iPhone 4s hadn't been my first phone, I wouldn't have bothered upgrading from a 4. Also, I think Kuo and Cock are having an affair, but you didn't hear that from me.
CoreyLahey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 03:29 AM   #66
GeekNN
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
this would piss so many people off

with the iPad3 selling so well, this would really piss people off to have spent the money on a current iPad only to have a thinner one come out 6 months later.
GeekNN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 04:39 AM   #67
scottrichardson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ulladulla, NSW Australia
To everyone saying if Apple does this, they have 'screwed those who purchased a 3rd gen iPad already'. How is this so?

Did Apple screw over all the 2nd gen iPad owners when they released the 3rd gen one?

Doesn't it seem more rational that people who purchased the 3rd gen iPad are being screwed over FAR LESS than normal, if the next iPad only has a thinner chassis and updated screen tech?
scottrichardson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 04:51 AM   #68
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrichardson View Post
To everyone saying if Apple does this, they have 'screwed those who purchased a 3rd gen iPad already'. How is this so?

Did Apple screw over all the 2nd gen iPad owners when they released the 3rd gen one?

Doesn't it seem more rational that people who purchased the 3rd gen iPad are being screwed over FAR LESS than normal, if the next iPad only has a thinner chassis and updated screen tech?
No, because this one is coming out just a few months after people bought the previous one. Apple has done very well out of predictable release cycles over the last few years, it enables those who crave "the latest thing" to buy a product on release and not crave another purchase for a decent period.

If they release an "updated" iPad, lots of iPad 3 owners will feel an uncontrollable urge to upgrade, and they will be pissed off about that, because they thought they were buying a 12-month fix. Additionally, the resale value of their nearly-new iPad drops through the floor.

At the core is this about pathetic consumerism? Yes. But that's how Apple makes money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker33 View Post
But as others have said, they'd be wrong to feel screwed.

The people who cry about it are just too damn fickle. I'd hate to think what they'd be like owning an Android device, as they become irrelevant after less than a month.
Have you considered that people may have intentionally not bought an Android device for that very reason?

Last edited by tomjleeds; Sep 8, 2012 at 04:57 AM.
tomjleeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 06:50 AM   #69
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kosak View Post
The highly predictable "annual release cycle" actually hurts Apple in the marketplace.

It causes too long of a "blackout" period where people are hesitant to buy because a new model is just 2-3 months away...

If they did updates more like other products (iMacs, Macbook Airs, etc.) then that blackout period would only be a few weeks long.

The annual release cycle also hinders Apple from making small incremental improvements - like slight speed bumps etc. These incremental improvements have let companies like Samsung get buzz several times a year as slightly improved models of the same basic device get released.

I think it's highly probably that Apple will be releasing incremental updates to iPad hardware. It's not like a phone that comes with a 2 year contract -- so it's to their advantage to do so.
The ipad release cycle is perfect in my opinion. By not releasing it next to holidays it tempts many to get the 'old' model as gifts, then shortly after the holidays a new one is announced again another sales spurt.

Besides the release schedule is highly predictable for us apple nerds, the general pop doesnt keep up with this stuff.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 08:27 AM   #70
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601
 
BornAgainMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida Resident
With the new Apple management, making it cheaper to make would be the priority.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 08:41 AM   #71
Tom8
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I got an iPad 3 on release and would probably sell it to get an iPad 4 if they made it lighter and fixed the heat issues. It's not a massive problem, but it's definitely noticeable, even on low brightness.

I know IGZO gives lower power consumption, but will it reduce the chances of getting a tinted display that many people have complained about? My iPad 3 display was perfect first time round.
Tom8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 08:52 AM   #72
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
If they revise it and make it thinner, they just screwed people that bought the "old, thicker iPad 3"
I dont think so at all. I have the new ipad and I absolutely love it. Found it more usefullthan I thought it would be. I also know that one day it wontbe the latest and greatest. Once the new (new) ipad is released is my ipad going to get slower and start breaking down? No. Technology moves fast. **** happens you could say.

----------

Also with my ilove smart cover I dont notice at all it getting hotter, i would reccomend it to any one.( no affiliation to ilove )

----------

Its hardley too thick at the moment anyway and cant complain about the screen.
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 09:16 AM   #73
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lindisfarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom8 View Post
I know IGZO gives lower power consumption, but will it reduce the chances of getting a tinted display that many people have complained about? My iPad 3 display was perfect first time round.
If there were widespread problems with the iPad displays we would have been reading it everywhere, there's nothing those tech news sites and blogs like more than a negative Apple story.
Eadfrith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:07 AM   #74
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
I don't see Apple doing a mid lifecycle refresh.

If there is no iPad Mini, it won't be till March or April 2013 till the iPad gets a touch up.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:10 PM   #75
2IS
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
I hope that they find some way of revving the iPad 3 to support a charge current of >2A (or a higher charge voltage). The new dock connector may address this issue.

The current iPad 3 recharge rate is way too slow. As the owner of a 1 and a 3, the 3 is really starting to annoy me in this respect.
Well if power consumption is lower, batteries will likely be smaller and thus, charge faster. They can't do higher voltage unless the new connector has dedicated pins when connected to a wall charger vs a USB port. Unlikely seeing the new connector actually has fewer pins.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadfrith View Post
If there were widespread problems with the iPad displays we would have been reading it everywhere, there's nothing those tech news sites and blogs like more than a negative Apple story.
Well where else would you hear about it then? News sites talk about it, a whole lot of members here have it (myself included) does the president need to acknowledge it for it to be considered widespread?
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RMBP - battery life improvements? johnhalsted MacBook Pro 2 Oct 25, 2013 06:07 PM
Battery life improvements cube MacBook Pro 3 Feb 9, 2013 07:43 AM
iPad Mini: Developers - Is there any truth to the scaling claims (iPad Mini, battery life, etc)? macbook123 iPad 30 Nov 5, 2012 03:00 PM
Tweaked Full-Size iPad with Lightning Connector Coming Next Week MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 480 Oct 24, 2012 03:22 AM
Sketchy Claims of Revamped iPad with IGZO Display and Thinner Enclosure in Late 2012 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 55 Jul 11, 2012 05:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC