Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups

Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:57 PM   #1
PONR
macrumors newbie

Cool Iphone 5/New iPhone Meadowhall, Sheffield MeetUp!

I thought id get the hype started now. Been to most of the Apple launches in Sheff, i think this one will be hectic!
PONR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 08:17 AM   #2
lukefinch
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to lukefinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONR View Post
I thought id get the hype started now. Been to most of the Apple launches in Sheff, i think this one will be hectic!
I'll be there if i can't preorder one in time.

How are the queue's there usually?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:38 PM   #3
bluntcave
macrumors member

If I can get it from the store with a new contract, I'll be there. I went to the original iPad launch in 2010 and there were about 20-30 people when I arrived at 4am.
bluntcave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:45 AM   #4
lukefinch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntcave View Post
If I can get it from the store with a new contract, I'll be there. I went to the original iPad launch in 2010 and there were about 20-30 people when I arrived at 4am.
There were those sort of queue's at 4am?

I guess I'm just going to have to try everything I can to pre-order one first!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:34 AM   #5
PONR
macrumors newbie

Generally they get split up for contracts and sim free. I was just over,about 100th for the 4s @ 4ish last year.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:22 AM   #6
TC25
Banned

I love launch meetups. Like locusts coming out of the ground, tens of thousands of geeks around the world climb out of their parent's basements and make their way to an Apple store.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:48 PM   #7
bluntcave
macrumors member

Quote:
Generally they get split up for contracts and sim free. I was just over,about 100th for the 4s @ 4ish last year.
What time did you get there?

Edit: I should read your post fully next time.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:39 PM   #8
lukefinch
macrumors 6502

I'll not be there any more. I've just pre ordered my iPhone 5
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:25 PM   #9
yateseyd1991
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefinch View Post
I'll not be there any more. I've just pre ordered my iPhone 5
How did you manage that? Can't pre order until Friday morning :P
yateseyd1991 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:00 AM   #10
PONR
macrumors newbie

What size or colour are you lot feeling? Im loving the black 64GB. The back looks amazing.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:03 AM   #11
lukefinch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yateseyd1991 View Post
How did you manage that? Can't pre order until Friday morning :P
Oh yes you can

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/iphone-5
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:34 AM   #12
bluntcave
macrumors member

Quote:
What size or colour are you lot feeling? Im loving the black 64GB. The back looks amazing.
I've always gone for the highest spec in black, same with the iPad. I can always not use disk space I have, I can't use space I don't have.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:17 PM   #13
PONR
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I've always gone for the highest spec in black, same with the iPad. I can always not use disk space I have, I can't use space I don't have.
Go for 32gb save a bit of money, i have too many apps, so many it wont allow me to do the updates for them!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:19 PM   #14
bluntcave
macrumors member

So what time are people getting there? I'm wondering about when I should go.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:42 PM   #15
Big Stevie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
I love launch meetups. Like locusts coming out of the ground, tens of thousands of geeks around the world climb out of their parent's basements and make their way to an Apple store.
Love that
Big Stevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:44 PM   #16
lukefinch
macrumors 6502

I've got my pre order being delivered to my local Carphone Warehouse on Friday where I can pick it up at any time throughout the day. I'm going to go down to Meadowhall at about 9am to see what the queues are like and to pick up a case for it.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:09 PM   #17
bluntcave
macrumors member

I'm hoping to be out of there before 9am... But if the queues are long enough, I'm not counting on it. Glad I've got the day off work is all I can say. I've never personally been to an iPhone launch at the Apple store but I should imagine all the contract sign ups take a while... And that's assuming the system is working fine. I remember at the Snow Leopard launch, the card readers went offline and they let people go to the bank in groups without losing their space.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:25 PM   #18
Smog
macrumors regular

Only ever been to the original launch at meadowhall. Do they allow you in the centre during the early hours or is it a mad dash from each entrance?

Originally launch was evening so made it easier to queue. Hoping to be there in the early hours.
Smog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:28 PM   #19
bluntcave
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smog View Post
Only ever been to the original launch at meadowhall. Do they allow you in the centre during the early hours or is it a mad dash from each entrance?

Originally launch was evening so made it easier to queue. Hoping to be there in the early hours.
I spoke to a guy in the store yesterday and he said that I was pretty much welcome to queue over night ("there was a queue at 9pm last year" was his quote)... I won't be doing that though, I'll be getting there plenty early though, before 5am at the latest me-thinks.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:46 PM   #20
PhazonUK
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to PhazonUK Send a message via Skype™ to PhazonUK
Queued for the 4S (even thought I returned it a few days later. Complete waste of a night) and there were people queuing from around 9pm. They actually had a small sign at the main entrance to Meadowhall saying "Queue here for iPhone".
It does seem kind of ridiculous how early you have to queue, but because some people do it then everyone else that wants one has to as well.

Don't know when you're planning on getting there but I'll say this.
At the 4S launch there seemed to be a lot of Chinese people queuing up, an awful lot. And every single one of them bought two 16GB iPhones each. They even had a dude with a clipboard checking names off as if it was an organised trip or something.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:06 AM   #21
bluntcave
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhazonUK View Post
At the 4S launch there seemed to be a lot of Chinese people queuing up, an awful lot. And every single one of them bought two 16GB iPhones each. They even had a dude with a clipboard checking names off as if it was an organised trip or something.
Well to get into the spirit of the occasion, even though I'm going on my own, I'll take a clipboard and register, just to make sure I'm present and haven't gone missing... In case of a fire or something.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:56 AM   #22
trufaith
macrumors newbie

Will be there

Gonna get there about 4:30
trufaith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:33 PM   #23
bluntcave
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufaith View Post
Gonna get there about 4:30
Based on PONR's experience of last year (100 @4am), I'll probably edge to get there earlier. While I do have the day booked off work, I don't want to spend it queuing if I can help it. I can always sleep during the day after I stop playing with the phone... That may not happen though as I sold my "4" two weeks ago and I'm getting serious withdrawal symptoms. I never thought going back to a regular button phone would be so hard.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:27 PM   #24
PONR
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Based on PONR's experience of last year (100 @4am), I'll probably edge to get there earlier. While I do have the day booked off work, I don't want to spend it queuing if I can help it. I can always sleep during the day after I stop playing with the phone... That may not happen though as I sold my "4" two weeks ago and I'm getting serious withdrawal symptoms. I never thought going back to a regular button phone would be so hard.
LOL Withdrawal symptoms. Yea it was hectic when i arrived at that time. It was a kool atmosphere with loads of geeks. Im only queuing early as i have to dash back to work and plus i enjoy the buzz. I was going to arrive around 1am ish this time. I no one guy that is arriving 7pm day before (thursday), WOW.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:39 AM   #25
bluntcave
macrumors member

Quote:
LOL Withdrawal symptoms. Yea it was hectic when i arrived at that time. It was a kool atmosphere with loads of geeks. Im only queuing early as i have to dash back to work and plus i enjoy the buzz. I was going to arrive around 1am ish this time. I no one guy that is arriving 7pm day before (thursday), WOW.
7pm the day before is crazy talk! What if he needs the loo?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups