Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Sep 7, 2012, 07:48 PM   #1
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

Splash screen rquired?

I am ready to submit another app and I was reading through the guidelines for icon and it said that a splash screen is required. I never put one in the last 3 apps I made because they open immediatley, a splash screen does not seem necessary. If my app opens immediatley is it still necessary to insert a splash screen?

Last edited by fun173; Sep 7, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
fun173 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:48 PM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
You should have a launch image. It should look exactly like the main screen of your app with the following changes:
- Dynamic content shouldn't be present.
- Things the user can interact with (IE, buttons) should either be grayed out, or better yet, not present.

To make one, I suggest just duplicating your main nib and removing the things that shouldn't be present.

You should have an image like this because it's what is shown when the user taps on your app icon. There's an animation that lasts ~0.25 seconds when the user taps your icon of that image zooming from the background of the launch screen up to the foreground. If at no other time, it'll be visible for that initial animation. If your app is ever running with tight resource constraints (maybe it's an old device, maybe it's defected, or maybe they have some background task that's hogging resources,) then your app might be a bit slow to display your main nib, and so it might display that launch image for a second or two (potentially up to ten seconds. If your app takes longer than ten seconds to launch, iOS will kill it.)'

For one app where my app had a search field on the navigation bar on the first screen and I didn't like it not being present in the launch image, I chose to include it in the launch image but then write "Loading..." in gray in the field so that users wouldn't think the app was just unresponsive.

Last edited by ArtOfWarfare; Sep 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:33 PM   #3
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

Thank You for the advice. I went along with what you and described and made the image of my main nib without any elements that won't always be there.
fun173 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming