Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhs91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
I am a scriptwriting student so we get a lot of scripts to read that were scanned and are very huge files. I need to annotate these scripts while in class.

The problem is I have tried: iBooks, Kindle, Notability, and even Notes Plus. The pdf opens but takes a long time to load (even after it has been saved), every page shows up as blank and then it takes several seconds before the page starts to load (so a quarter every several seconds will load). Before I go ahead and start wasting money on apps, can anyone recommend a fast pdf annotator that I can get? I don't mind spending money but it has to be fast.

Edit: I own the new iPad 16gb.

Last edited:

pdfmax

macrumors member
May 13, 2012
I am a scriptwriting student so we get a lot of scripts to read that were scanned and are very huge files. I need to annotate these scripts while in class.

The problem is I have tried: iBooks, Kindle, Notability, and even Notes Plus. The pdf opens but takes a long time to load (even after it has been saved), every page shows up as blank and then it takes several seconds before the page starts to load (so a quarter every several seconds will load). Before I go ahead and start wasting money on apps, can anyone recommend a fast pdf annotator that I can get? I don't mind spending money but it has to be fast.

Edit: I own the new iPad 16gb.

Hi msh91,

Have you tried PDF Max yet? Our app has the quality you need, plus it's FREE to download! You can have a look at here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id540572073

Cheers :)

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
I routinely debind and scan books, then apply OCR. The files are huge. My approach to this is to reduce the size of the PDFs before I even load them on to the iPad.

I use Acrobat Pro to do that, but there are a number of other ways to do so without the expense of Acrobat Pro. Just do a google search.

I can usually reduce the size of a scanned/OCRed file to 1/3 the original size.

I read the resultant files in iAnnotate and the performance is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.