Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photo by Luis Gutierrez, Developer of Super Apps
Apple has finished decorating the front facade of the Yerba Buena center in preparation for their September 12th media event. Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 5 at that event. At initial glance, the front decoration seems to show no obvious clues as to their announcements.

However, one eagle eyed MacRumors forum visitor believes the facade show stretched iOS icons. Zaym points out that you can see stretched versions of iOS icons including Game Center, iTunes, Music and App Store in the image and provides an example image.

After taking the above image and skewing it and shrinking it, we've verified his findings. Several icons are clearly recognizable in their un-stretched form:

stretchedicons2.jpg

Game Center (upside down above), iTunes and Music icons:

Of course, speculation on the reason for the stretched icons points to the long-running rumors that Apple will be introducing a taller iPhone with a 4" diagonal screen. Our complete iPhone 5 roundup details everything we expect in the new iPhone.

Update: Another take on the icons from roosternugget:

apps.jpg

Article Link: Apple's Yerba Buena Decoration Shows Stretched iOS Icons, Possibly Hinting at Taller iPhone 5

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
This blows my mind. Very clever.

Edit: I've looked at this a few times and still cant believe how brilliant this is.

Also: Being that Game Center is upside down, could another new App we haven't seen yet be upside down too?

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I think this is evidence that each launch page will only have one row of icons, but that each row will be very tall. Icons that aren't updated will be stretched to 5x their ordinary height.

Edit: Better than MR's distorted picture, just look at the original picture from edge on (IE: open the image on an iOS device and put the charging port to your nose. Adjust the angle until you can perfectly make out the icon.)

If you're standing right against the facade of the building and look up, I imagine the icons will look right. Maybe that's all Apple was really going for when they made the banner.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I an see it but don't get what it has to do with a taller iPhone. I mean it's not like apps are going to be stretched vertically on the phone.

potao2222

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
is it just me or is the Game Centre icon different to the one in iOS5?

Edit: it's just upside down :)

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Haha pretty cool!! I wonder if apple is gonna give clues about its future products just by he designs of these posters!! (because all the leaks aren't enough) ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.