Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 9, 2012, 06:12 AM   #26
Gatecrasher1875
macrumors member

My friend works in the o2 shop and they haven't been told about the nano sim but he expects it will be the same as the micro sim. Take your new iPhone and current sim to your local store and they will transfer your details over.
Gatecrasher1875 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 06:25 AM   #27
mtj111
macrumors member

What's the point in badgering CS when we don't even know for a fact that iPhone 5 will even use nano-SIM yet?

They don't know much at the best of times, never mind stuff that hasn't been announced yet.
mtj111 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:48 PM   #28
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveishere View Post
I'm sure there are hundreds of Apple Geniuses up and down the country who already know the iPhone 5 like the back of their hand (what happens if someone drops theirs on day 1 and needs the screen replaced) but i'd imagine that these people are also on some secrecy-based contract.
No.

The "Geniuses" don't know anything like that at all.

They receive a small amount of training, and generally just give people replacement devices (particularly when a new device is released). Repairs are carried out by other (more qualified) staff members.

Very few people within Apple will know what's going to be announced at the event.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 04:51 PM   #29
daveishere
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
No.

The "Geniuses" don't know anything like that at all.

They receive a small amount of training, and generally just give people replacement devices (particularly when a new device is released). Repairs are carried out by other (more qualified) staff members.

Very few people within Apple will know what's going to be announced at the event.
There must be a few repair people that are aware of the device.

Also, my comments don't just cover Apple. They will have had contact with network providers worldwide to negotiate prices for nano sims etc, and Apple will want apps to work on the new taller display at the unveiling next Wednesday.

I think 'very few people within Apple' having knowledge of the new iPhone is very naive.
iPad mini 64GB Black & Slate.
daveishere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:38 AM   #30
NightFox
macrumors 65816

I remember the total chaos with O2 and microSIMs at the iPhone 4 launch - I'm really not looking forward to going through that again.

I was an existing O2 customer, but had pre-ordered my iPhone from Apple. The information available from O2 was pretty much as it is like now, contradictory and confusing. Following the phone's official announcement and a couple of days before the launch date, some parts of O2 started saying if you took proof of your order into an O2 store, they would give you a microSIM (even if you'd ordered direct from Apple). The problem was then finding a store that actually had any in and was willing to let you have one - I did eventually manage to pick one up the day before launch.

I later found out talking to an assistant at another O2 shop that they had received loads of microSIMs a couple of days before launch, but as they didn't know how many iPhones they were going to get their manager instructed them not to give them out in case they ran out of microSIMS for new customers buying iPhones. In the end I think they got less than 10 iPhones to sell on launch day, but still the manager wouldn't let them give any away because he didn't know what iPhone stock he had coming in over the next few days.

I'm guessing it's going to be a similar story this year as the likes of O2 and CPW never seem to learn from past launches.

Last edited by NightFox; Sep 10, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
NightFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:44 AM   #31
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

I'm with o2 but may jump ship to 3. Still undecided.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:15 AM   #32
dazlicous
macrumors 6502

Anyone heard if Vodafone UK no anything about a nano sim.

I get a 20% discount per month through work so don't really wanna jump ship to another carrier
dazlicous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:57 AM   #33
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazlicous View Post
Anyone heard if Vodafone UK no anything about a nano sim.

I get a 20% discount per month through work so don't really wanna jump ship to another carrier

If the iphone 5 requires a nano sim then all the Uk operators that will offer the new iphone will offer it.

It would be business suicide not to !

iPhone 5s 16GB Space Grey - iOS 7.1.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 7.1.2
bandofbrothers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:13 AM   #34
garybUK

Why are people so worried? I thought Apple carried blank sim's that you can just transfer your number over... that's what my brother did, the Apple girl just logged onto the Voda website whilst we were there and it was all done and dusted.
garybUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:47 AM   #35
8a22a
macrumors 6502a

I asked Vodafone and they said they have no information until Apple's official announcement.
8a22a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:56 AM   #36
NightFox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybUK View Post
Why are people so worried? I thought Apple carried blank sim's that you can just transfer your number over... that's what my brother did, the Apple girl just logged onto the Voda website whilst we were there and it was all done and dusted.
If you pre-order an unlocked Iphone direct from Apple, it will be delivered with no SIM card (based on previous launches), leaving you unable to use your new phone until you manage to get your hands on a nanoSIM.

----------

I noticed a few people had asked O2 on Twitter and been given the same answer: "We do not sell any phones that use a nanoSIM. If we ever do, we will also provide nanoSIMs" (or words to that effect) which was obviously a stock answer and no help whatsoever. I tried tweeting them with a more hypothetical question:
@O2 Any word on the availability of nanoSIMs for existing customers should (ahem) there be a sudden demand for them in the very near future?

@NeilJonesOnline What nano sim? Not aware of any information.

@O2 IF a major new phone were to be launched using a nanoSIM,would nanoSIMs be available to existing customers a few days before launch?

@NeilJonesOnline Im sure wed do something to make sure you were OK.
So read into that what you will, either read between the lines that they know what I'm talking about and can't officially comment but it'll all be sorted, or take it at face value that they really don't know what I'm talking about!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:23 AM   #37
J@ffa
macrumors 6502a

You're bound to get frustrated asking front line customer service reps questions you know full well they're not going to be able to answer. If O2 were suddenly offering nano-SIMs, do you really think the first place you're going to hear about it is from an O2 chatbot? If history is any guide, even asking them once the phone's been announced will still get you variable answers.

O2 are obviously going to sell the iPhone, as is every other major UK network. When they do, they'll obviously have the right SIMs available. There's no point getting in a tizz about it. If O2 staff are anything like Apple employees, they might not be allowed to say anything (since if they did, sales would crater as opposed to what they do now, which is tail off).
J@ffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:41 AM   #38
NightFox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by J@ffa View Post
O2 are obviously going to sell the iPhone, as is every other major UK network. When they do, they'll obviously have the right SIMs available. There's no point getting in a tizz about it. If O2 staff are anything like Apple employees, they might not be allowed to say anything (since if they did, sales would crater as opposed to what they do now, which is tail off).
True, of course O2 are going to have the right SIMs available for new customers buying iPhones on launch day, but what many people want to know is will those of us not buying our phones direct from O2 also be able to get them on or before launch day, or will we be stuck with new phones we can't use for several days?

Hopefully the number of similar requests might get flagged at O2, even if it's by chatbots, and make somebody there actually prepare for the event.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:59 AM   #39
J@ffa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
True, of course O2 are going to have the right SIMs available for new customers buying iPhones on launch day, but what many people want to know is will those of us not buying our phones direct from O2 also be able to get them on or before launch day, or will we be stuck with new phones we can't use for several days?

Hopefully the number of similar requests might get flagged at O2, even if it's by chatbots, and make somebody there actually prepare for the event.
Good point. There's no doubt they are preparing though, just not at store level. I can't remember what the timescale was before — does anyone know if there was any micro-SIM availability prior the iPhone 4 being announced?

In any case, I'm pretty sure that when you buy an iPhone from an Apple store they can give you a whatever-SIM then. Obviously if you order online that won't apply, but if the O2 stores are chaotic/short of them then that's a potential fallback. Otherwise it's going to be sandpaper and scalpels at dawn!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:01 AM   #40
NightFox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by J@ffa View Post
Good point. There's no doubt they are preparing though, just not at store level. I can't remember what the timescale was before does anyone know if there was any micro-SIM availability prior the iPhone 4 being announced?
It was a couple of days before for the iPhone 4, though see my post #30 above.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:59 AM   #41
J@ffa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
It was a couple of days before for the iPhone 4, though see my post #30 above.
Ah, yes, I remember now. Are you in London at all? There's an O2 shop behind Liverpool Street that gave me a micro-SIM when the others all told me I needed a receipt might be worth a try if it ends up being a mess again.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:14 AM   #42
creid
macrumors newbie

i just trimmed my sim down to micro sim with scissors for 4S

nano is on left. normal and micro on right

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...48_634x369.jpg

maybe we can trim micro down to nano

Last edited by creid; Sep 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
creid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:05 AM   #43
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

You can just modify your sim into a nano sim. There are already Sim cutters around that will cut a regular/micro sim into a nano sim.

You'll have to wait until they are more widely available as they're just rolling out.

The thickness difference between the nano sim and micro sim is 0.09 mm, less than a tenth of a milimiter. All electrical connectors have some tolerances to them, otherwise they wouldn't work. And the toleranceswouldn't show any difference to a tenth of a milimiter. A tenth of a milimiter is less than the thickness of a really thin sheet of paper.

Unless the iPhone uses some sort of ultra thin ultra precise sim reader, you shouldn't have to sand the bottom in addition to cutting it, but if you do it will take only a few passes with 2000 grit.

Hope that helps.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:10 AM   #44
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
You can just modify your sim into a nano sim. There are already Sim cutters around that will cut a regular/micro sim into a nano sim.

You'll have to wait until they are more widely available as they're just rolling out.

The thickness difference between the nano sim and micro sim is 0.09 mm, less than a tenth of a milimiter. All electrical connectors have some tolerances to them, otherwise they wouldn't work. And the toleranceswouldn't show any difference to a tenth of a milimiter. A tenth of a milimiter is less than the thickness of a really thin sheet of paper.

Unless the iPhone uses some sort of ultra thin ultra precise sim reader, you shouldn't have to sand the bottom in addition to cutting it, but if you do it will take only a few passes with 2000 grit.

Hope that helps.

That's the type of job I leave to you youngsters.. If I tried it it would end in tears+ no service....I tried the O2 chat thing again and got a "We have no knowledge" answer.....That does make sense....I'm not parting with my 4S until my 5 is up and running!

Last edited by Macman45; Sep 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Typo
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:43 AM   #45
JD92
macrumors 6502a

It's really no surprise that O2's customer service reps are unaware of the nano-sims. They most likely won't be told about it, or have it appear on their system, until the iPhone 5 is out.

Basically - calm down and wait til tomorrow evening.
JD92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:00 PM   #46
daveishere
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
If the iphone 5 requires a nano sim then all the Uk operators that will offer the new iphone will offer it.

It would be business suicide not to !
+1 to this.
iPad mini 64GB Black & Slate.
daveishere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:18 PM   #47
stu.h
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksteruk309 View Post
Basically - calm down and wait til tomorrow evening.
What's happening then?
stu.h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:01 AM   #48
RockerDude
macrumors newbie

Follow this link, this should help everone...

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5

There is a bit of information at the bottom about the nano sim.
I think you can order one from today?
RockerDude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:10 AM   #49
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDude View Post
Follow this link, this should help everone...

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5

There is a bit of information at the bottom about the nano sim.
I think you can order one from today?
Yep, I just confirmed it with them....I will mark this resolved now, but if anybody has issues or a contribution, feel free.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:27 AM   #50
Macman45
macrumors G5

Thought I would just confirm that I have just ordered my nano-sim from O2. They are sending them out now, and I was also told that they are available in store too.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
nano sim o2