Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
We had a storm that knocked out some equipment and the apple tv will not turn on. Is there any retest procedure for this thing? No warranty either. :(

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
if ur lucky the thing will reset itself after a day or so. Then is open her up if ur so incline see what's up.

So we're talking completely dead right? no beep, no flash light for a second, nothing?

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
if ur lucky the thing will reset itself after a day or so. Then is open her up if ur so incline see what's up.

So we're talking completely dead right? no beep, no flash light for a second, nothing?

DEAD DEAD. No lights, etc. It actually has been unplugged for 2 months. I haven't tried it since because no time. But it was dead when I tried it last. Guess I should try it again.

Brigrat

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2004
We had a storm that knocked out some equipment and the apple tv will not turn on. Is there any retest procedure for this thing? No warranty either. :(

I had the same thing happen and found a tech article from Apple that said to leave it unplugged for 15 minutes then plug it in to your computer and reset it using iTunes. You will need a micro USB cable as I recall and iTunes will detect it if it is salvageable.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Okay it powered up, but fast flashing light. Then I hook it up to iTunes and try to do a restore and get an error 1611. :/

----------

Interesting..unplugging the power and allowing it to pull power over the USB to do the restore fixed the error and it did a restore. :/ Off to test it.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Okay, narrowed it down to having no power through the plug itself. It can get power from USB but that just won't work due the hdmi and it being plugged in at the same time just do not fit. :(

kendojoe

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone had any luck mending this problem?
I have a broken ATV2 with power issues - seems to be a fried power supply.
It is detected fine in itunes and can be restored but no power through power lead (no lights at all).
I have tested power lead in another ATV2 and all works fine.

Does anyone know where I can buy replacement components or of any other solution?

Thanks

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
probably easiest to buy a new power supply from apple.

They're $99 from apple, and come already mounted in an aTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.