Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
As stated above, :)

In theory no, in practice they do not go into the tedious job it would be to check for previous jailbreaks.

I have seen countless iPhones that have been sent to repair after a jailbreak has been removed just by a simple restore :) All passed with flying colors :)

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
In theory no, in practice they do not go into the tedious job it would be to check for previous jailbreaks.

I have seen countless iPhones that have been sent to repair after a jailbreak has been removed just by a simple restore :) All passed with flying colors :)

Restore and setup as new will erase all jailbreak traces. the phone is wipe clean and a new stock iOS is installed.

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
DFU restore and set up as new phone will leave no trace of the jailbreak, you can then sync again to get your music etc back.

DFU restore and restore from backup can in theory leave traces, as some tweaks work by modifying configuration files that are backed up. If you disable such tweaks, i.e. make your iDevice look as normal as possible before backing up, and then restore it, you will be fine. It may be theoretically possible to detect that it has been jailbroken, but it will require a significant effort, and no-one will bother.

4S/4G/3GS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
DFU restore and set up as new phone will leave no trace of the jailbreak, you can then sync again to get your music etc back.

DFU restore and restore from backup can in theory leave traces, as some tweaks work by modifying configuration files that are backed up. If you disable such tweaks, i.e. make your iDevice look as normal as possible before backing up, and then restore it, you will be fine. It may be theoretically possible to detect that it has been jailbroken, but it will require a significant effort, and no-one will bother.

I am getting confused o_O, "DFU restore and set up as new phone will leave no trace of the jailbreak, you can then sync again to get your music etc back."
So is it theoretically (as stated in one of the post above) true that DFU restore + set up as new phone will not traces of jailbreak?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Correct, DFU-restore +setup as new will leave no traces.

If you than sync to a backup, it will reload all settings files (plist) including those of jailbreak apps.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
If you are really worried (as in stray plist files from the jailbreak), DFU restore, do an erase all afterwards (this ensures anything stored in the data partitions is unreadable due to cryptographic keys purged), set up as a new device, then hand the device over for service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.