Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Hi guys

Could someone please help this is driving me nuts....I've just ripped the bluray movie "city of god" using makemkv and when I play it back after its been ripped using mplayerx the movie plays fine and I can see the subs that are in the Mkv, but then when I convert the Mkv using iflicks the subs have gone!!! I also tried this with handbrake and the subs had gone with the handbrake copy too...I'm wanting to play the movie on apple tv ...do you guys have any pointers to ripping a bluray and transcoding whilst maintaining the subs?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hi guys

Could someone please help this is driving me nuts....I've just ripped the bluray movie "city of god" using makemkv and when I play it back after its been ripped using mplayerx the movie plays fine and I can see the subs that are in the Mkv, but then when I convert the Mkv using iflicks the subs have gone!!! I also tried this with handbrake and the subs had gone with the handbrake copy too...I'm wanting to play the movie on apple tv ...do you guys have any pointers to ripping a bluray and transcoding whilst maintaining the subs?
aTV can only display text based subs, like .srt, or burned in subs. Since you say you are coming from BR, I will assume your subs or PGS. Therefore, they are not viewable with the aTV. I have know idea what iFlicks can do, but with HB you should be able to select the sub track and check burn in. If you don't want them burned in, you have the option of downloading an srt file and remuxing it in, or creating your own srt.

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks mic J With your info I'm now on the right track.
I've extracted the .sup file out of the Mkv using Mkvtools and I'm going to convert the.sup to a .sub using sup2sub then il remux the .sub into the Mkv which I will then convert to m4v in iflicks. Thanks again

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks mic J With your info I'm now on the right track.
I've extracted the .sup file out of the Mkv using Mkvtools and I'm going to convert the.sup to a .sub using sup2sub then il remux the .sub into the Mkv which I will then convert to m4v in iflicks. Thanks again

Alternatively, use Subler. Then, all you'll need to do is the following:
- rip the DVD to a MKV with MakeMKV
- convert it to a M4V with HB; make sure you pass-thru the VobSub tracks
- OCR the subs with Subler

This is by far the cleanest and fastest way of converting subs to text.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012

Thanks Menneisyys2 il give that a go.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

As far as I know, bluray pgs subs cannot be processed by Subler. But for regular dvd's, that is my preferred method as well. Let me know if you have had success using Subler for pgs subs.

Update: I visited your site and see that you have a modified process for converting pgs subs to vobsubs before taking them into Subler for OCR...so question answered.

jgabriel

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Same problem here

Hi guys

Same problem here! I am trying to convert a .mkv movie to . m4v using iflicks. The source file has subtitles. After converting, I can see the movie with all the subtitles using iTunes to play it or any other player like mplayerx. But when I try to watch it on Apple TV, it doesn't show up, as if the file hadn't any subs what so ever.

Did you manage to fix it?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I will tell you my process, but I don't use iflicks.

First I play the dvd or bluray movie on a real player (or software player) and find out some things, the title number and runtime, which subtitle selected (if any), and which audio selected.

I then rip using makemkv. I make sure I include the correct title, all english subtitles (even if it showed off while playing) and the correct audio.

I then process the mkv thru the nightly handbrake build (bluray subtitles require this, dvd can use the release version of handbrake.) I use an appletv3 preset in my case.

For the subtitles, if the dvd/bluray automatically ran a specific subtitle in the first step., I set that one, and check that burn in is selected.

If no subtitles was selected during the original watching (from the first step above), I choose foreign audio search, and check that burn in and forced only boxes are selected (they should be automatically selected).

This is the most error proof process I have come up with yet to ensure I don't miss burning in required subtitles and have to redo the process later. This method also ensures compatibility with devices that may not handle certain subtitle formats, as the text is burned into the image.

The downside of this method is that you can't select subtitles on or off.

----------

Same problem here! I am trying to convert a .mkv movie to . m4v using iflicks. The source file has subtitles. After converting, I can see the movie with all the subtitles using iTunes to play it or any other player like mplayerx. But when I try to watch it on Apple TV, it doesn't show up, as if the file hadn't any subs what so ever.

You may want to try this for softcoded subtitles: (I never softcode subs, so I have never tried it myself.)

While playing a movie on Apple TV, press and hold Play/Pause to access chapter selection, alternate audio and subtitle display. The display shows the options available for the current movie. You can access it from the main settings menu as well, you have to turn subtitles on.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
As far as I know, bluray pgs subs cannot be processed by Subler. But for regular dvd's, that is my preferred method as well. Let me know if you have had success using Subler for pgs subs.

Update: I visited your site and see that you have a modified process for converting pgs subs to vobsubs before taking them into Subler for OCR...so question answered.

Oops, sorry, I misread the original post - I thought he asked about DVD's, not BD's.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Oops, sorry, I misread the original post - I thought he asked about DVD's, not BD's.

He really didn't specify, but later on he mentioned extracting sup files. That's why I figured he was doing BR. By the way, your Subler tutorials are very great. I don't think people appreciate what a good app it is because it doesn't have a real "snazzy" interface. If he would add PGS conversion, I think that would come close to a complete package. But, PGS conversion is...well...a multistep...pain.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

iTunes' being able to play it back shows it has textual (most probably SRT) subs, which can be rendered by the ATV as well - see Richdmoore's post.

iTunes, unlike VLC and other, advanced all-in-one players, can't render any kind of (soft) bitmap subs.

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Guys

I cant seem do do anything with the .sub files that have been converted with BDsub2sup ...i know the sub file is ok because i can use it in vlc but whenever i try to load the .sub into handbrake (this says choose .srt) or any other encoding software the .sub is greyed out. the only luck i had was adding the idx file into mkvtoolnix (which i read in a forum that would link to the .sub whick is in the same directory.

do i need to convert the .sub to a .srt ? if so how do i do that?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Guys

I cant seem do do anything with the .sub files that have been converted with BDsub2sup ...i know the sub file is ok because i can use it in vlc but whenever i try to load the .sub into handbrake (this says choose .srt) or any other encoding software the .sub is greyed out. the only luck i had was adding the idx file into mkvtoolnix (which i read in a forum that would link to the .sub whick is in the same directory.

do i need to convert the .sub to a .srt ? if so how do i do that?

1, as you've done, use mkvtoolnix to add the idx file back to the MP4 file

2, import the entire video (with the idx file) into Subler and make sure it OCR's it.

Spacecowboy1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
1, as you've done, use mkvtoolnix to add the idx file back to the MP4 file

2, import the entire video (with the idx file) into Subler and make sure it OCR's it.

Sorry I'm been a bit of a pain here....but do I Mux the idx file back into the Mkv before adding it to subler? If so by adding the idx will that auto add the .sub?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.