Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
My wife is getting her new car - Vauxhall Insignia (a GM brand) - which has full iPhone/iPod music support in the audio system, i.e. it displays track list, playlists etc. on the Sat Nav screen and can be controlled from the steering wheel buttons.

Rather than keep connecting/disconnecting her iPhone I am think about a cheap iPod that she can leave permanently in the car.

I know that the Shuffle, which is the cheapest, won't display track lists etc. presumably because it is a simpler device with no screen, but what about the Shuffle? Will they provide the full functionality? Obviously as they have a much smaller screen than the iPhone/iPod Touch I assume they don't display as much info on the screen so will that limit the info available on the car's screen?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My buddy has a new GM Zafira...I'm guessing your newbie is equipped with GM's "infotainment" system? It's all BT and USB based...I would think any device capable of Bluetooth SHOULD work fine. I've tested both mine and his 4S's over BT in the car and they work fine.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
yes the nano will work for what you want but to the post above me I like that better I don't have to keep taking the ipod out just a thought

parish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
My buddy has a new GM Zafira...I'm guessing your newbie is equipped with GM's "infotainment" system? It's all BT and USB based...I would think any device capable of Bluetooth SHOULD work fine. I've tested both mine and his 4S's over BT in the car and they work fine.

If it works in a Zafira then we should be OK.

The Insignia has what Vauxhall call "Navi600" which uses a USB ocnnection - she's not getting the optional phone integration which uses BT.

For a car stereo integration nothing beats the ipod Classic.

Bit expensive though :(

yes the nano will work for what you want but to the post above me I like that better I don't have to keep taking the ipod out just a thought

Yes, that's the idea, just leave it in the car. We know that if she uses her iPhone then she's just going to park the car and forget to take her phone with her :p

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
... but what about the Shuffle? Will they provide the full functionality? Obviously as they have a much smaller screen than the iPhone/iPod Touch I assume they don't display as much info on the screen so will that limit the info available on the car's screen?

I think you meant to ask about the nano? If so, I can confirm that song title, artitst, and album info can be displayed in the car. Also, playlists or sort by album or artist may work too. These work in my car (with a nano) but I don't know about your model. It is VERY rare that album art is supported in a factory car stereo (I don't know why).

If possible, borrow a friends unit and go to the dealer and test it. Or buy one where you can return it and test it that way. Good luck!

parish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
I think you meant to ask about the nano?

Yes - good catch :eek:

If so, I can confirm that song title, artitst, and album info can be displayed in the car. Also, playlists or sort by album or artist may work too. These work in my car (with a nano) but I don't know about your model. It is VERY rare that album art is supported in a factory car stereo (I don't know why).

If possible, borrow a friends unit and go to the dealer and test it. Or buy one where you can return it and test it that way. Good luck!

Thanks. We've now found out that a friend has a Nano so we can borrow it to test :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.