Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Hey all,

I'm studying Music Tech at school for 2 years, and i've been told i need to get a Midi Keyboard as well as Cubebase. I've done some small Scale ProTools recording before, but nothing without real instruments.

I don't want to spend loads, but what should i be looking for with a Midi Keyboard? Do i need an interface or anything? I think i'll be getting the slimed down version of Cubebase....

I've got a MacbookPro, but school are using WinXP box's. Shouldn't have any issues with moving files between?

Simon

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
a used m-audio keystation (keys, a midi-volume slider) will probably be your cheapest bet for full-size keys. feel is kinda mushy but they work.

for sure a deal on craigslist for a 49 or 61 key version.

if you want assignable pads, knobs and more sliders they have those available too - for more money. check m-audio.com

korg makes a super-cheap controller called the nanokey2 - might not be what you're after but it's tiny and portable.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey all,

I'm studying Music Tech at school for 2 years, and i've been told i need to get a Midi Keyboard as well as Cubebase....

Can you play keyboard instruments? Pianos or synths? If so then you know what you want.

Some cheap keyborads have a USB jack and the MIDI-USB interface is built-in. This is good but only if the K/B uses a good internal interface that does not require drivers. "real MIDI" uses two round DIN jacks but requires a separate MIDI-USB cable (with interface built into the cable)

Bring your Mac to thew store and plug in the keyboard and it should "just work" in Garage Band with not software/driver install. It it does not buy another one.

About CuBase. Many times yu can get it free as bundled software with an Audio interface. If you need an interface get the one that has this software and save a little.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.