Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgmul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Was wondering if you all had any suggestions for online services that I could use to back up important data?

I tried CrashPlan, which really bugged me, because I could only set it for an automatic backup schedule. I just want to be able to manually upload files to an online cloud, essentially like having a virtual external HD. Any suggestions?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Also SugarSync, it's more robust than Dropbox, but at the cost of ease of use. Although you do get more initial storage.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Was wondering if you all had any suggestions for online services that I could use to back up important data?

I tried CrashPlan, which really bugged me, because I could only set it for an automatic backup schedule. I just want to be able to manually upload files to an online cloud, essentially like having a virtual external HD. Any suggestions?
I've just subscribed to Crashplan, you can chose what folder you want to upload and keep updated.

It defaults to your Home folder on a Mac, but you can chose any folder, so just make a folder on your HDD and use that?

SilverOnemi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Crashplan, here's why:

*unlimited space

*web restore, iphone restore, built in app restore.

* seeding (you send a drive with your files) and restore to your door ( they send a drive with the files)

* data de duplication and compression

* Live monitoring ( doesn't scan the entire drive for changes )

* they allow you change file versioning to your needs ( even every min)

* Backup sets -> different settings for different folders, say you need more versioning for your docs than your pics.

* Backups to external drives & friends house (free)

* low cpu usage ( although it is a java app) , it runs constantly but is easier on the battery than running entire scans every hour.

* allows you to set cpu usage

* they never delete files by default , backblaze does if you don't connect your externals every 30 days.

* 448 blowfish encryption with user set key

a bit slower than other alternatives, like backblaze for example, however i didn't feel like their app was customizable enough and really didn't like the 30 day file deletion. Also hourly entire drive scans consume battery.

they have a free 30 day trial and a really impressive client list (nasa? google? adobe? evernote etc)

I've just subscribed to Crashplan, you can chose what folder you want to upload and keep updated.

It defaults to your Home folder on a Mac, but you can chose any folder, so just make a folder on your HDD and use that?

There you go :p

for the price it's hard to beat.

Last edited:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I'm reviewing solutions as well. But I need to start with 500GB of storage and that will grow fast since I'll be backing up RAW photos.

I'm checking into Crashplan and Backblaze is another I'm looking into. The limitation I'm running into is they don't like to backup NAS devices. I typically backup from my PC to my NAS and just wanted to backup the NAS....but that seems like it's not gonna work.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with BackBlaze.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.