Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups

Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:26 PM   #101
MattBrown485
macrumors newbie

Hi mate, i'm a first timer on launch day too! Happy to share coffee trips! Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterflaps View Post
I'm a launch day virgin too. I was meant to go to the iPad 3 launch and was all set, with a queue buddy and I seem to remember agreeing to be the person who keeps people updated with queues etc, and had to download some app to go with it.

Had to pull out though sadly. Not this time!!

I was intending on setting off from Bradford at about 6am but from the sounds of things I'm going to have to set off earlier.

Black.Slate 32GB sim free for me.

Anyone want to buddy up so we can take toilet breaks, and fetch coffee for one another?
MattBrown485 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:27 PM   #102
roblawton
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by d123 View Post
CPW don't sell unlocked iPhones, it will be locked to the network you buy with it (whether PAYG or contract), and I doubt there will be any PAYG stock at CPW anyway.
There's no PAYG stock at the moment but they're DEFINITELY selling it SIM free for the same price as Apple.

It even shows it online on their website, I spoke to them today!

Even tempted to go there and get it two hours before Apple opens, it wouldn't be the same though!
roblawton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:30 PM   #103
Totalkharnage
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblawton View Post
Got a mini picnic sorted, a stool for the long wait and plenty of coffee!!

See you all when the doors open!!
Ah good reminder for coffee. See you there !
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:32 PM   #104
Codarz360
macrumors newbie

Does anybody have any Idea which car park is nearest to the Apple Store entrance? I'm going to get a 16GB Black - Sim Free. Do you think it will be possible to get a Orange SIM card from the Apple store?
Codarz360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:33 PM   #105
roblawton
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalkharnage View Post
Ah good reminder for coffee. See you there !
A hot one for the journey, couple of cold ones for the queue and hopefully there'll be some freebies too!

Followed you on twitter too sir! @roblawton

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codarz360 View Post
Does anybody have any Idea which car park is nearest to the Apple Store entrance? I'm going to get a 16GB Black - Sim Free. Do you think it will be possible to get a Orange SIM card from the Apple store?
Probably the one to the left that goes up a ramp, that's the nearest entrance I think.

Apple only have PAYG Sims I think. You'll have to get one from Orange but they've held out until tomorrow. You'll be able to get one in the Orange store.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:36 PM   #106
sm9thy
macrumors newbie

any body wanna buddy up lol. mate bailed???? newbie hear plus im queing in the sim free queue
sm9thy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:37 PM   #107
Codarz360
macrumors newbie

Quote:
A hot one for the journey, couple of cold ones for the queue and hopefully there'll be some freebies too!

Followed you on twitter too sir! @roblawton

----------

Probably the one to the left that goes up a ramp, that's the nearest entrance I think.

Apple only have PAYG Sims I think. You'll have to get one from Orange but they've held out until tomorrow. You'll be able to get one in the Orange store.
Ok thanks.

Do you think I'm better going to the Apple Store to buy a sim free iPhone 5 then or the actual orange shop because I've heard that Orange and others are just interested in Contract customers only at the moment?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:38 PM   #108
MattBrown485
macrumors newbie

Yes I need a sim-free coffee buddy!!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:39 PM   #109
roblawton
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ok thanks.

Do you think I'm better going to the Apple Store to buy a sim free iPhone 5 then or the actual orange shop because I've heard that Orange and others are just interested in Contract customers only at the moment?
You're exactly right. Networks want long contracts and upgrades. Apple and Carphone Warehouse are best for SIM free. Apple will sell it PAYG too if you wanted.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:40 PM   #110
sm9thy
macrumors newbie

what time are you getting there for matt. im getting there for around 4.30 at the selfridges entrance
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:41 PM   #111
MattBrown485
macrumors newbie

sounds good to me mate!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:42 PM   #112
Codarz360
macrumors newbie

Quote:
You're exactly right. Networks want long contracts and upgrades. Apple and Carphone Warehouse are best for SIM free. Apple will sell it PAYG too if you wanted.
I thought so off to the Apple Store it is then. I guess I will see you guys in a few hours for a coffee
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:45 PM   #113
DavidWildJnr
macrumors member

Quote:
Upper level car park. Marked 'entrance 3' to the right of self ridges as you face toward the building.
DavidWildJnr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:47 PM   #114
d123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
There's no PAYG stock at the moment but they're DEFINITELY selling it SIM free for the same price as Apple.

It even shows it online on their website, I spoke to them today!

Even tempted to go there and get it two hours before Apple opens, it wouldn't be the same though!
Good luck then mate, I'm only going by what a mate (who happens to be a manager of a CPW) said as well as what their website says.

Quote:
Most of the phones we sell aren't locked to a network

This includes all our SIM free phones. One exception is iPhone, which is initially unlocked, but locked to a network as soon as a SIM is inserted. To find out about a particular model, ask in store or give us a call on 0870 087 0870.
http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.co...20203001e3d%7D

But as I have no personal experience of buying one from CPW I see no other reason to argue with you.

Good luck when you queue .
d123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:47 PM   #115
DavidWildJnr
macrumors member

Quote:
Upper level marked 'entrance 3' near selfredges
DavidWildJnr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:49 PM   #116
Totalkharnage
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWildJnr View Post
Upper level car park. Marked 'entrance 3' to the right of self ridges as you face toward the building.
Isn't it to the left of Selfridges ? the entrance next to Burtons ? #lastminutepanic
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:51 PM   #117
roblawton
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Good luck then mate, I'm only going by what a mate (who happens to be a manager of a CPW) said as well as what their website says.

http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.co...20203001e3d%7D

But as I have no personal experience of buying one from CPW I see no other reason to argue with you.

Good luck when you queue .
Oh sorry, you're right about that bit, I thought you meant just buying it without a contract or forced top-up on PAYG.

Yeah, that's a bummer but the networks (mostly) will let you unlock it again as long as you're out of contract with them.

Still best to go to Apple if you want freedom though, that's what I'm doing too!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:00 PM   #118
d123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Oh sorry, you're right about that bit, I thought you meant just buying it without a contract or forced top-up on PAYG.

Yeah, that's a bummer but the networks (mostly) will let you unlock it again as long as you're out of contract with them.

Still best to go to Apple if you want freedom though, that's what I'm doing too!
Apple is definitely the best bet, and where ill be in the morning

A lot of CPW staff are also a bit pissed off by the "first sim locks the iPhone" policy, you can only imagine the aggro it causes when people buy a "sim free" iPhone only for it to then lock up on them.

My mate told a story of a guy who got one as sim free , was on Orange, but decided to try a 3 sim when he got home (to check how good signal was), imagine how happy he was when the phone then wouldn't accept his Orange sim . Orange won't unlock until after 3 months, 3 don't unlock until after a months use, slight problems there, I think they ended up having to replace the phone before he jumped up and down enough to put a hole in the floor .

The funny part, the Apple Store (that of course sells real sim free) was about 100m away from the CPW, in the same centre.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:06 PM   #119
chesterflaps
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm9thy View Post
any body wanna buddy up lol. mate bailed???? newbie hear plus im queing in the sim free queue
I will buddy. I will be there at about 4am, is that any good.
chesterflaps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:10 PM   #120
sm9thy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
im only getting there at 4.30 pal that make a difference????
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:10 PM   #121
Codarz360
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Apple is definitely the best bet, and where ill be in the morning

A lot of CPW staff are also a bit pissed off by the "first sim locks the iPhone" policy, you can only imagine the aggro it causes when people buy a "sim free" iPhone only for it to then lock up on them.

My mate told a story of a guy who got one as sim free , was on Orange, but decided to try a 3 sim when he got home (to check how good signal was), imagine how happy he was when the phone then wouldn't accept his Orange sim . Orange won't unlock until after 3 months, 3 don't unlock until after a months use, slight problems there, I think they ended up having to replace the phone before he jumped up and down enough to put a hole in the floor .

The funny part, the Apple Store (that of course sells real sim free) was about 100m away from the CPW, in the same centre.
I'm a little confused please can someone explain to me the following...

Apple sell you the iPhone and PAYG sim - I'm presuming that is a PayAsYouGo sim right? if so on what Network?

When I buy my iPhone from the Apple Store I'll get a sim and then I basically want a Pay As You Go sim from Orange to be able to get 4G is this possible?

Thanks in advance to whoever replies and enlightens me on the above questions.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:14 PM   #122
Erratic.
macrumors newbie

Quote:
"I left my cash at home and my mates gone to get it, he'll be back in 30 minutes" - I'm sure you understand what I am trying to say, as long as your buddy below can say it. Heh.

Quote:
Erratic. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:14 PM   #123
chesterflaps
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Not sure how the whole "queue jumping" is viewed because I will be there for 4. Never mind.
chesterflaps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:18 PM   #124
d123
macrumors 65816

Quote:

When I buy my iPhone from the Apple Store I'll get a sim and then I basically want a Pay As You Go sim from Orange to be able to get 4G is this possible?

Thanks in advance to whoever replies and enlightens me on the above questions.
Unfortunately it's not that simple, to try and explain, Orange won't be offering a 4G service (neither will T-Mobile). The 4G service is going to be offered by EE, which is the amalgamation of the the 2.

From communication with T-Mobile (and Orange will be the same), your account will need to be transferred to the new EE network before you will get actually get a 4G service. From what I understand, it's going to be contract customers who will be given the option to transfer first.

PAYG plans for EE don't seem to have been formulated yet (at least not publicly yet).
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:21 PM   #125
Erratic.
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Not sure how the whole "queue jumping" is viewed because I will be there for 4. Never mind.
There are quiet a few scenarios that can apply to queue jumping. But I highly doubt those that won't buy any, and a friend that joins later who will be purchasing, join the queue with his mate ahead, will be considered queue jumping. Seen as X was queuing for Y. That's what I'll be doing myself, I will be queueing on someones behalf and they'll join me later. But I'm not purchasing an iPhone 5 myself.

There's another option, which I stated above. Does it work? I am not sure.
Erratic. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups