Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Many Suits Do You Own and Wear Regularly?

Votes: 11 24.4%

Votes: 9 20.0%

Votes: 7 15.6%

Votes: 3 6.7%

Votes: 4 8.9%

Votes: 1 2.2%

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 10+

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Assuming they're worn regularly?

Details. Such as, do you prefer one, or is there one solely for nighttime or dates? Or are you Barney Stinson'ing it up wearing them daily and everywhere? Though would imagine would be tough considering this hot weather, at least here in Los Angeles..

Plus, would imagine some of us are students, work in a place where suits aren't required, etc.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I only have about 6, but I don't wear them often. However the Apple section where I work has started playing tricks with suits. The CEO/boss/overpaid cheese likes to make rounds of all the peons a few times a year. We are required by the IT VP to all wear suits on these days. The Apple bunch of us, being us, have found out how to play this. We'll randomly pick a day to all wear our suits and act all ultra-professional as if the cheese is walking through. If 7 out of 21 people in the whole IT department show up in suits on a particular, it puts the non-suited people in a state of panic as they think they all missed the memo about the CEO coming around. Of course only us 7 in the Apple sub-department know of the in and don't get flustered.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I have one suit, and don't wear it very often. The last time I wore it was when I took my wife to see Jersey Boys in Denver in July. That was the first time I wore it this year.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
i wear them less and less. the world has gone casual... kinda sad really

MikeT

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
Work as a lawyer, and the legal field is one of the last bastions of suit-wearing.

I wear suits if I'm (1) meeting with clients; or (2) in court.

If neither (1) nor (2) apply, I dress like everyone else these days... as a total slob. :D

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
You don't have an option for zero? I used to have half a dozen when I worked in finance. Heavy wool ones for winter, light wool or linen for summer. I sort of enjoyed dressing up but was never really that comfortable in them. Since 1998, I started shedding them as casual became the norm for 90% of the time. 6 years later I retired and I kept 1 suit, just in case, but I never used it so I gave it to charity last year.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The number was zero because I never wore one, then I had a Bar Mitzvah and wedding to attend this year, so I had to buy one. Wasn't cheap either. And I don't know when I'll wear it again.

I hate wearing suits and getting dressed up. I am so thankful jeans and a collared shirt are acceptable dress code at my job.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I own one suit, and have worn it approximately 6 times. I'm more of a jeans-and-a-tshirt kinda guy

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Work as a lawyer, and the legal field is one of the last bastions of suit-wearing.

So, right. I work within a rather balanced - just about to be gentrified - area but recently there moved some huge consultans, lawyer firms in some blocks away. They infiltrade the whole area like an army within lunchtime. Always approaching in packs - and very well suited. :D
It's funny to observe them.

re topic: I've one suit which I wear every once in a while. Just bought it this summer as I now have to attend to more important meetings and because friends seem to get into the marrying thing. I like wearing a nice suit, so for sure I'l get some more. I already own a lot more suit-trousers which I wear with formal shirts though.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I own two... but plan on getting more once my new job starts this fall. It feels nice to look nice.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I don't have one.

I don't see them as being as classy as some people do. I think that's because I see them as uniforms for most of the people who wear them. When I see someone of some note or importance who is wearing just pants with a tucked in casual, collared shirt, top button open, I feel more of a connection to that person in a way. It seems to me like that person had control over what they wanted to wear that day, and it seems more "human" like to me. For example, I find Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's style (he does wear a jacket, but never buttons the top button, never wears a tie) more honest in some way than someone who is wearing a tie and a typical suit. I associate that with car salesmen or young children who were forced to dress that way for Easter. Although Rick Santorum in his sweater vests was intriguing. It felt warm. And it didn't feel forced. In fact, I imagine some people probably tried to talk him out of those.

I don't think I would particularly like a suit, mostly because of the jacket/blazer (not sure of the difference). To me the jacket is unlike most other forms of clothing. It doesn't really mimic the shape of any part of the body; it doesn't really seem to have much purpose other than ornateness. And in terms of ornateness (ornation really should be a word), it's not one I particularly care for. There's too much structure to it. Too much going on with those big angle flaps at the top and the big buttons. To me, it reminds me of one of those boxy curtain valances. And I guess the other part is that I don't get its function. Is it really to keep people warm? That can't be it because men wear them with suits in the middle of summer on the East coast. It must be part of the formality. And I would most likely want to take it off as soon as I could. It's odd that I've noticed in Mad Men, it seems like around the office, the men take off their jackets but seem to put them on and button them up if they're meeting someone important. This idea of formalizing and deformalizing throughout the course of a day is interesting, but does not sound fun. And the inverse of wearing one in the summer when it's too hot is: what does one wear in the winter? Is the jacket your "jacket"? Maybe that's why people in New York wear trench coats with over their suits. It all just seems crazy to me, but I guess that's the East coast for you.

And I don't know how to explain this last part, but it's just a feeling I have: To me the jacket looks feminine. And I have nothing against feminine. I love all sorts of feminine things. But it's jarringly ironic when it comes to a suit.

Don't get me started on ties . . .

Anyhow, that's just me. The most formal I ever am is a casual, collared shirt, tucked into pants, with a belt. But that's rare.

There was a time in my life where I really wanted to look good. I wanted to feel better by looking good. Now the haughtiness of some of the young men's clothing brands (Bonobos, I'm looking at you) just make me feel ill. So that's part of it too. I'm sure in my younger years I would have wanted to try out a suit for the sake of having what now feels like vapid cachet. Not that I'm agains it. I wanted it at one time. It just makes me ill now thinking about it. Again, hard to explain. I'm just most comfortable in whatever is practical now. And to me that looks less cheap than a suit.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I have six suits and wear them all.

I wear a suit every day. Always have, since I started in practice. I've found it has a positive halo effect with my patients, and part of why I wear a suit (aside from my liking to look well dressed), is as a sign of respect for my patients.

When not working...jeans and T shirts.:cool:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
suit-up-barney-stinson.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Currently, I own 2 suits, but I have only worn one of them. :D

I could wear a suit to work if I really wanted to, but it's not necessary, so I don't. When I started my job, all the men wore a tie. I wore a tie for my first 2 months. Then I stopped wearing them, and nobody said anything. Then, one by one, the other guys stopped wearing them as well. :p

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I have 4 suits. Usually wear them twice a month for work, only when I have to. Most wear suits to work but I hate wearing a tie so I just go in with dress shirt and dress pants.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I like suits, but I have absolutely no need for them in my profession. I will wear a tie with a button-down sport shirt to work occasionally, and am the only person in the office to ever do so.

So I currently only have two suits: a black wool suit for formal occasions, and a bluish-white cotton suit for summer weddings. The latter has gotten much more use lately, though I'm starting to feel a bit like Tom Wolfe whenever I wear it. :cool:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have two suits right now which I wear on a regular basis, not everyday though. I plan on getting a couple more later this year.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I bought a suit in spring 2000 when I graduated university.

I still wear it. I pull it out a couple of times a year for weddings, formal parties, etc.

Of course I have switched the shirt and tie around a few times so I have a few combinations but the pants and jacket have been unchanged in 12 years.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Zero. I have no need for a suit.

Whadda you mean? Every guy needs a suit.

I've got one suit, wore it once already (wedding) and plan on wearing it only one more time (funeral).

4. spades, hearts, diamonds, and clubs.

don't wear them much, but when i do i look like a regular card...

Ack! That just reminded me of a marriage joke...

Marriage is like a game of cards, you starts with 2 hearts and ends with a full house.

Marriage is like a game of cards, it starts with 2 hearts and ends with a club and a spade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.