Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splendidham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Hi guys, long time lurker here.

Was just thinking about how YouTube will be getting the flick as an iOS native app in iOS6. Do you think that apple will do the same with the YouTube app on ATV? The native ATV youtube app seems to have the same limitations as the native app running on iOS. As in less videos etc

Since YouTube added their own improved version to iOS, I'm kind of hoping the same happens for ATV. Hopefully apple potentially allowing apps for ATV will bring this to fruition.

What do you think?

TooFastForLove

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Canada
I've been wondering the same thing since the iOS app came out a few days ago. If they do go ahead and update the ATV with an OEM YouTube app then I imagine we can expect better search results and more music videos (albeit from Vevo...) though I imagine we'll finally see a lot more ads as a result.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I really hope Apple doesn't get rid of the YouTube app on ATV, as its the main reason why I even use my ATV. Google making their own YouTube app for the ATV makes no sense, since there isn't an App Store for the ATV.

Apple, just keep it how it is, or at least please add the "Watch Later" list. Then the app would be really awesome.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's still in the current beta. I feel like they'll keep YouTube on the Apple TV.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Hope not..

This would destroy the reason to "watch YouTube conveniently" from the couch.

I'm guessing Apple would be pushing Airplay then,,, as if you have the Youtube app (that is now out on the App Store), Airplay would be the only way to do this. :apple: assuming Apple did kill of the Apple TV version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.