Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:43 PM   #126
striker33
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjobby View Post
People weren't saying that during 02's massive outage not too long ago.
You mean that 'massive' outage that lasted for a day, which everyone completely overreacted to and started demanding free things because they couldnt use facebook on the train or BBM their friends (lets face it, no one calls eachother anymore).
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:44 PM   #127
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
Unless you need tethering, giffgaff gives you a better deal. The only issue is the Nano SIMs as you say
Will probably switch back to gg when they get their SIMs. But they weren't prepared, so they've lost me for a couple of months at least.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:45 PM   #128
jonney92
macrumors member

orange nano sim

just seen on twitter searched nano sim on orange and it came up with some pictures of some orange nano sim would of got a picture and put it in the comment bit here but dont know how to do it lol only just signed up to here
jonney92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:45 PM   #129
JamesM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveza View Post
Same price as the 4s in dollars but the /$ rate is worse than last year.
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm still in contract with Orange, didn't realise they wouldn't be offering LTE to current customers and you'd have to sign up to EE.

I was going to get it SIM free from Apple, doesn't seem worth it now.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:45 PM   #130
Azzin
macrumors 68000

25 for a Lightning to 30 pin adaptor???

I'll plug the supplied cable into my iMac for overnight charging and maybe get an adaptor to go on my iPad charger in the living room.

[Edit] - Will be cheaper to get a 15 Lightning to USB cable and use the plug that came with my 4S for the living room.

http://store.apple.com/xc/product/MD823ZM/A
Azzin is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:46 PM   #131
bigchrisfgb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
I'm on Orange and due my upgrade, so waiting for pre-order info on orange's site.... hoping that pre-order will be before 9am so i don't have to try and do it at work.

easy, EE is not a new network, it's the parent company of orange/tmobile, so switch
Everything everywhere was the parent company of T-Mobile and Orange since their merger but they renamed themselves yesterday and will be releasing a 3rd brand which is EE which will be the only one of the 3 brands to offer LTE.
bigchrisfgb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:46 PM   #132
Stuipdboy1000
macrumors 6502a

This from the EE website:

"Orange & T-Mobile today announced they will offer iPhone 5, the thinnest and lightest iPhone ever, to customers in UK beginning Friday, September 21. For more information please visit: www.orange.co.uk/iphone5 or www.t-mobile.co.uk/iphone5. For more information on iPhone 5, please visit: www.apple.com/iphone.

Orange and T-Mobile iPhone 5 customers will also be able to move to EE to get superfast 4G when it launches in the coming weeks. They can register their interest at www.ee.co.uk."

Sounds like the EE won't be available at the iPhone launch but if you go with Orange or T-Mobile, they'll make it easy to switch to the 4G network.
Stuipdboy1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:47 PM   #133
randystand
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm still in contract with Orange, didn't realise they wouldn't be offering LTE to current customers and you'd have to sign up to EE.

I was going to get it SIM free from Apple, doesn't seem worth it now.
EE have confirmed they will '' make it easy for current orange and t-mobile customers to switch over''.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:47 PM   #134
striker33
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Unless you need tethering, giffgaff gives you a better deal. The only issue is the Nano SIMs as you say
I dont understand what the problem is? Just cut your sim card down to nanoSIM size, like everyone did with the microSIM which was also unavailable from giffgaff.

Its stupidly easy to do, and if you somehow manage to mess it up, you're in luck, as SIM cards are so magical they're free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgaz26 View Post
Agree, what about 249 for the new touch!! my boy wanted it for xmas, I said no bother, should still be around 150!!!!!!!! even the old one has went up to 169, what a rip off
Again not sure what the problem is. 249 is your bog standard conversion (2/3rds of USD price + 20% VAT). If you are complaining about the actual price of the product in general though, you may as well complain about the price of houses, cars, petrol etc while you're at it.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:48 PM   #135
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Everything everywhere was the parent company of T-Mobile and Orange since their merger but they renamed themselves yesterday and will be releasing a 3rd brand which is EE which will be the only one of the 3 brands to offer LTE.
Will they eventually kill off T-Mobile and Orange and merge it all into EE? That would make sense to me, once consumers get used to the new brand.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:48 PM   #136
Hermes Monster
macrumors 6502a

Meh, I dont know what to do now. I'm with orange, and going to wait and see what EE have to say this week I think.

I wont be buying unlocked that's for sure, somehow 529 seems a hell of a lot more than 499!

Playing the waiting game sucks, let's play hungry hungry hippos instead!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:49 PM   #137
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker33 View Post
I dont understand what the problem is? Just cut your sim card down to nanoSIM size, like everyone did with the microSIM which was also unavailable from giffgaff.

Its stupidly easy to do, and if you somehow manage to mess it up, you're in luck, as SIM cards are so magical they're free.
Not possible with the Nano SIM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:50 PM   #138
Guacamole
macrumors member

price hike

what's up with the price hike? wasn't supposed to be the same price as before??
Guacamole is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:50 PM   #139
tann
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgaz26 View Post
Agree, what about 249 for the new touch!! my boy wanted it for xmas, I said no bother, should still be around 150!!!!!!!! even the old one has went up to 169, what a rip off
Well, technically the touch hasn't gone up in price, because the 'old' ones were also 250 for a 32gb version. The only difference this time is they dropped the 8gb.

So they just start at 32gb at 250...

When the third gen touch came out they had the 'new' faster touches at 32/64gb and the 16gb was a 2nd gen touch. Similar situation here..
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:50 PM   #140
duction
macrumors 6502a

quote from o2 forumss by o2 'There is just one iPhone 5 model which supports 4G - so when we're given the green light for 4G, iPhone 5 users will be able to use the services.'
duction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:51 PM   #141
Ramsay2011
macrumors member

Vodafone are apparently "Ready" for the iphone 5 nano sim launch
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4744...iphone-5-ready

Picture of a nano sim next to a micro sim dont think you will be able to cut a micro down to nano size
Ramsay2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:51 PM   #142
JellyUK
macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what time the pre-orders might start? Hoping it's midnight, not 8am...
JellyUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:51 PM   #143
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
25 for a Lightning to 30 pin adaptor???

I'll plug the supplied cable into my iMac for overnight charging and maybe get an adaptor to go on my iPad charger in the living room.

[Edit] - Will be cheaper to get a 15 Lightning to USB cable and use the plug that came with my 4S for the living room.

http://store.apple.com/xc/product/MD823ZM/A
The iPhone 5 will come with a new cable you know...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:51 PM   #144
adztaylor
Banned

Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuipdboy1000 View Post
This from the EE website:

"Orange & T-Mobile today announced they will offer iPhone 5, the thinnest and lightest iPhone ever, to customers in UK beginning Friday, September 21. For more information please visit: www.orange.co.uk/iphone5 or www.t-mobile.co.uk/iphone5. For more information on iPhone 5, please visit: www.apple.com/iphone.

Orange and T-Mobile iPhone 5 customers will also be able to move to EE to get superfast 4G when it launches in the coming weeks. They can register their interest at www.ee.co.uk."

Sounds like the EE won't be available at the iPhone launch but if you go with Orange or T-Mobile, they'll make it easy to switch to the 4G network.
Good to know.
adztaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:52 PM   #145
Azzin
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyUK View Post
Does anyone know what time the pre-orders might start? Hoping it's midnight, not 8am...
It will be 8am UK time.
Azzin is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:54 PM   #146
bigchrisfgb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Will they eventually kill off T-Mobile and Orange and merge it all into EE? That would make sense to me, once consumers get used to the new brand.
They said they won't but since all Orange and T-Mobile stores are closing and being replaced by EE stores and phones start to have LTE as standard and the LTE system is fully up and running on their network then yes I guess they will. It may take a couple of years though.
bigchrisfgb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:54 PM   #147
raymondkerr
macrumors regular

Early queing for my at the Glasgow store, opens 8AM, going for the full price 529 and whatever sim I can get hold of, hopefully I can stick with the Three network.

now, stick with White or go back to black ????? decisions ?????
iPad Mini SLATE
raymondkerr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:54 PM   #148
Guitarfreak
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
It will be 8am UK time.
Is that for sure? Im going for a 64GB anyway hopefully others wont be as crazy :P
Guitarfreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:54 PM   #149
Marky
macrumors regular

With apologies from the off if I'm asking something really stupid.......

EE uses/will be using for LTE the frequency band 1800MHz.

The Ofcom auction next year is for two further frequency bands 800Mhz and 2.6Ghz.

We know that iPhone 5 is compatible with lots of bands around the world and certainly is with the 1800Mhz band that EE have.

Will it however be compatible with both of the two other bands up for auction?

I'm currently with O2 and would prefer to stay with them! even if LTE is still 12mths away - but could O2, for example, win the auction for a frequency band not supported by the iPhone 5?

I can't find anything on the Apple site to confirm which bands exactly the iPhone 5 will work with.

Does anyone know or is this a really stupid question?
Marky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:55 PM   #150
Azzin
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The iPhone 5 will come with a new cable you know...
Yes I do know that.

Thats why I said in my post "I will use the *supplied* cable to connect to my iMac for overnight charging".
Azzin is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone