Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:03 PM   #1
jrlepage
macrumors 6502a

eBay Unlocking Services question

Does anyone have experience using one of the eBay auctions for unlocking an iPhone? My AT&T iPhone 4S is still under contract so I'm not able to unlock through them. The way I understand it you're essentially paying for someone to add your IMEI to a "white list" allowing it to be unlocked... As I understand these are maybe AT&T employees looking to make a little $$ on the side?

Does it actually work? Is there a chance of it being un-unlocked? I'm planning to sell on eBay as "unlocked"...

Anyone use one of these services successfully? Other than that I might try calling AT&T (I submitted the unlock request via their website and was declined) and seeing if I can talk a rep into doing it.

Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:06 PM   #2
j.dstasio
macrumors 6502

I've unlocked 4-5 iPhones this way including 2 4S iPhones that are curently under contract. Check out a seller named "unlock_fusion". Good price, quick service, and no problems so far.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:42 PM   #3
jrlepage
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.dstasio View Post
I've unlocked 4-5 iPhones this way including 2 4S iPhones that are curently under contract. Check out a seller named "unlock_fusion". Good price, quick service, and no problems so far.
Thanks I'll check it out... I guess it would be incorrect to label a phone unlocked this way as "factory unlocked" on eBay right? How would I label it to be honest but still make money? Just plain "unlocked" ? Is there a risk that the buyer will end up having it un-unlocked down the road?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:21 PM   #4
jrlepage
macrumors 6502a

Ended up using that seller you recommended. I will post back here about the experience. Another quick question if you're still around: The instructions for unlocking on that seller's website (where you enter the IMEI) lists three different "methods" for unlocking after they process your info. Which method did you use and was it successful the first try? I don't have a non-AT&T SIM card, so I'm hoping I don't need one to process the unlock (two of the methods appear to require one).

Also trying to decide what to list my 64GB Black 4S for on eBay once it's unlocked. It has AppleCare+ that doesn't expire until Oct 2013 and is in VF+ to NM condition... Was thinking $400 reserve and $575 or $600 buy-it-now. Is that too high/low? Thanks!!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:26 PM   #5
sd13
macrumors regular

I used unlock fusion seller and my phone got unlocked in about 48 hours. I didn't even need to restore mine!
sd13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:40 PM   #6
tys
macrumors regular

Unlocked :-) .........Relocked :-(

I just got my in-contract 4S unlocked with Unlock Fusion on eBay. (after AT&T rejected my official request) Took less than 24 hours! I'm jailbroken, so instead of doing a restore, I de-activated the phone with the SAM utility from Cydia. When I plugged into iTunes, I got the "congratulations you're unlocked" message and everything else was just the way I'd had if before.
I'll be using my iPhone in Japan next month with a B-mobile "visitor" SIM! It will be worth it's weight in gold for navigation alone. The public transport feature of the maps app works flawlessly over there (at least in ios 5)

EDIT: well, about 14 hours after getting my "guaranteed to never get relocked" unlock from Unlock Fusion, my 4S is relocked :-(
Originally showed up as unlocked using iphoneox.com IMEI checker, now showing locked again. I got a prompt reply from Unlock Fusion saying that due to AT&T updating their database for the iPhone 5, some unlocks didn't get processed properly and promised to get back to me in the next 24 hours. I'll report back!
Anyone else have an iPhone get relocked after using one of these services?
Worst case, I'm only out $10, but I was really looking forward to using my 4S on my upcoming trip.

EDIT 2: True to their word, Unlock Fusion got me re-unlocked last night! I'm concerned a bit that it may get locked again, but hopefully it was just a one time glitch.

Last edited by tys; Sep 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
tys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:45 PM   #7
satchow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlepage View Post
Does anyone have experience using one of the eBay auctions for unlocking an iPhone? My AT&T iPhone 4S is still under contract so I'm not able to unlock through them. The way I understand it you're essentially paying for someone to add your IMEI to a "white list" allowing it to be unlocked... As I understand these are maybe AT&T employees looking to make a little $$ on the side?
Give AT&T a try anyways. I bought my iPhone 4s in 11/2011 and they unlocked it for me last week.

Edit: I should have read, you already got it unlocked by someone on EBay. But for anybody else, try the form on ATT.com, give them a week and see if they'll unlock your phone for you. It's worth a try and I got my 10 month old, under contract, iPhone 4s unlocked that way.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:45 PM   #8
tys
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks I'll check it out... I guess it would be incorrect to label a phone unlocked this way as "factory unlocked" on eBay right? How would I label it to be honest but still make money? Just plain "unlocked" ? Is there a risk that the buyer will end up having it un-unlocked down the road?
I'm pretty sure the process is identical to having the carrier unlock it. It is supposed to be update-proof, unlike the other jailbreak-based methods, so I'd call it Factory Unlocked. Or maybe "IMEI Unlocked"?
tys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:04 PM   #9
OriginalClone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ended up using that seller you recommended. I will post back here about the experience. Another quick question if you're still around: The instructions for unlocking on that seller's website (where you enter the IMEI) lists three different "methods" for unlocking after they process your info. Which method did you use and was it successful the first try? I don't have a non-AT&T SIM card, so I'm hoping I don't need one to process the unlock (two of the methods appear to require one).

Also trying to decide what to list my 64GB Black 4S for on eBay once it's unlocked. It has AppleCare+ that doesn't expire until Oct 2013 and is in VF+ to NM condition... Was thinking $400 reserve and $575 or $600 buy-it-now. Is that too high/low? Thanks!!
How did it work out for you? I just purchased an unlock from them today.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tys View Post
I just got my in-contract 4S unlocked with Unlock Fusion on eBay. (after AT&T rejected my official request) Took less than 24 hours! I'm jailbroken, so instead of doing a restore, I de-activated the phone with the SAM utility from Cydia. When I plugged into iTunes, I got the "congratulations you're unlocked" message and everything else was just the way I'd had if before.
I'll be using my iPhone in Japan next month with a B-mobile "visitor" SIM! It will be worth it's weight in gold for navigation alone. The public transport feature of the maps app works flawlessly over there (at least in ios 5)

EDIT: well, about 14 hours after getting my "guaranteed to never get relocked" unlock from Unlock Fusion, my 4S is relocked :-(
Originally showed up as unlocked using iphoneox.com IMEI checker, now showing locked again. I got a prompt reply from Unlock Fusion saying that due to AT&T updating their database for the iPhone 5, some unlocks didn't get processed properly and promised to get back to me in the next 24 hours. I'll report back!
Anyone else have an iPhone get relocked after using one of these services?
Worst case, I'm only out $10, but I was really looking forward to using my 4S on my upcoming trip.
Did they reach back out to you yet? I would like to know how this worked out for you.
OriginalClone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:48 PM   #10
jrlepage
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalClone View Post
How did it work out for you? I just purchased an unlock from them today.
Worked out absolutely awesome! Within a couple hours of submitting my IMEIs on their website, I received e-mail confirmation that my phones had been unlocked. Hooked up to my computer, did a full restore (NOT restore from backup - tried that first and didn't get the unlock message) and after that, got the "Congratulations your iPhone has been Unlocked" in iTunes. Then was able to restore from backup. Will probably use them again to unlock my iPhone 5 if they offer that service.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:54 PM   #11
monkeydodo3
macrumors member

Quote:
Worked out absolutely awesome! Within a couple hours of submitting my IMEIs on their website, I received e-mail confirmation that my phones had been unlocked. Hooked up to my computer, did a full restore (NOT restore from backup - tried that first and didn't get the unlock message) and after that, got the "Congratulations your iPhone has been Unlocked" in iTunes. Then was able to restore from backup. Will probably use them again to unlock my iPhone 5 if they offer that service.
Wait so unlock fusion did end up being able to reunlock your phone after AT&T updated their database? Cause I was planning to request an unlock for my iPhone 4.

Last edited by monkeydodo3; Sep 15, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
monkeydodo3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:54 PM   #12
psywzrd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Is it even possible that they'll offer an unlock for the 5?
psywzrd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:55 PM   #13
OriginalClone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Worked out absolutely awesome!
Thanks a lot! Hopefully mine should be complete by Monday.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:35 PM   #14
vitog123
macrumors regular

Does anyone have a link for this? I have a att 4s and want to unlock my phone
vitog123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:08 AM   #15
hope84
macrumors newbie

I just puched that service, still waiting :)

Hi all, I have some questions... I'm new in Iphone, I just buyed one used Iphone 4... This was unlocked through Turbo Sim that worked fine but was kind of messi all the time I tunned off my phone.

So, once I get my code and unblocked my Iphone, how can I do to upgrade mi iS that is currently Version 4.3.3 (8J2) and Modem Firmware 04.10.01 without getting my phone screw?

Do I have to jialbreak it again? how can I do that?

I really will appreciate your support!!! Thanks in davance!!
hope84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:19 AM   #16
monkeydodo3
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitog123 View Post
Does anyone have a link for this? I have a att 4s and want to unlock my phone
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATT-AT-T-UNL...item2ec16ea2d3
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:36 AM   #17
OriginalClone
macrumors regular

I used unlock fusion yesterday and got my unlock email today. Just did a restore and it is unlocked.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:10 PM   #18
monkeydodo3
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalClone View Post
I used unlock fusion yesterday and got my unlock email today. Just did a restore and it is unlocked.
What time did you submit it? And yesterday as in Saturday? How long did it take for you to get the email? They usually don't process them on weekends according to their eBay listing, but hopefully that's not the case since I ordered mine around 8:15 PST last night from unlock fusion.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:44 PM   #19
acarney
macrumors regular

I ordered mine Friday night around 9pm and then was kinda disappointed to notice they don't do unlocks on weekends since I'm selling my phone today... Out of the blue last night around 6pm I got the "Your phone is unlocked email" !!!

Sure beats fighting with AT&T to unlock, after 30 min the rep told me its Apples rule to NEVER unlock a phone in contract & he would get written up and apple would bounce it back anyway. I even had him check what I would pay to end my service with AT&T (after 5 years of $100+/mo bills) and he wouldn't budge. He offered to go ahead and cancel my service but I told him I wanted to do it in store with the manager that told me "Sure! Just call customer service and they'll unlock the phone even if still in contract so you can travel with it" (my story for why I wanted it)

It's so frustrating when you're still in the contract. You're still either going to pay monthly or pay the etf. Just let me sell the phone for extra since its unlocked! Hell, it's not like then you have to give me a new one, AT&T doesn't lose anything. Except pissing me off.

Oh well, buying factory unlocked with the 5 so I can get extra resell value and have the option to travel with it or walk away at any time. I like AT&T, but I wish they were more open if they KNEW you still had contractual obligations to them >.<
acarney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:52 PM   #20
Chopstick217
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Chopstick217
I submitted my info yesterday and got the unlock today for my iPhone 4s!
iPod Nano 8 GB JB Apple TV 2
Chopstick217 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:54 PM   #21
jrlepage
macrumors 6502a

I have one more question regarding this service... So my two 4S's are both unlocked using this method. Does anyone know if you jailbreak whether this unlock still functions properly? What is the best method for jailbreaking a fully updated 4S with 5.1.1 at the moment?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:56 PM   #22
Chopstick217
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Chopstick217
Quote:
I have one more question regarding this service... So my two 4S's are both unlocked using this method. Does anyone know if you jailbreak whether this unlock still functions properly? What is the best method for jailbreaking a fully updated 4S with 5.1.1 at the moment?
The phone is permanently unlocked. You can jailbreak or update to future firmwares. As for jailbreaking, I recommend using redsn0w 0.9.14b
iPod Nano 8 GB JB Apple TV 2
Chopstick217 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:57 PM   #23
monkeydodo3
macrumors member

Quote:
The carrier unlock is tied to your IMEI so even if you jailbreak and/or restore, your phone will still be unlocked.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:00 PM   #24
GraphicsGeek
macrumors 6502a

Wow, I didn't know this even existed if it weren't for this thread. That was an easy $10 to spend. Just sent in my IMEI. I'll update when I get my unlocked email.
GraphicsGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:03 PM   #25
coolweirdo
macrumors regular

does this work with sprint(i know the cdma part of the iphone wont, but wat about the gsm part of the sprint iphone 4s)
coolweirdo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
ebay, iphone 4s, unlock