Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newitunes.jpg

Apple announced a new version of iTunes at today's media event featuring a "dramatically simpler" interface with an edge-to-edge design.
We created iTunes because we love music and we're going back to our roots with an incredibly clean design that keeps your music at the forefront," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "The new iTunes works seamlessly with iCloud, always keeping your entire library at your fingertips, and we're adding great new features that make listening to your music more fun.
The updated media application will show albums in a grid interface with song listings unfolding below the album cover art when clicked. Searching is improved, showing inline results as you type and the MiniPlayer has been redesigned to show a miniature version of the album cover art and album and song information and playback controls.

The updated iTunes will also get iCloud integration to show all your media content saved in Apple's cloud storage service and save your position in movies or TV shows automatically so that you can pick up where you left off on another device.

The new version of iTunes will be available in late October.

Update: A new version of iTunes, version 10.7, has been released. It "adds support for iOS 6 running on compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models. This update also adds support for the latest iPod nano and iPod shuffle models."

Article Link: Apple Announces Major iTunes Update Coming Next Month [Update: Version 10.7 Released Today]

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I wish they made a separate application for JUST music that isnt a memory hogging piece of crap

I among many others don't need support for movies, ebooks, an online app store, iphone, ipad, ipod, integration and all that other crap.

Just give us a nice, simple and quick application for managing and playing back MP3s! The only viable option is Enqueue but its not getting much updates and while Vox is an awesome small mp3 player, it lacks a proper library.

lmddawson

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Hated the update at first, but glad we can still get back to the list option. Finally, there's a play next feature! Awesome! Was expecting a download available straight away, though. Late October :eek:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I hope they kept Home Sharing so that my wife and I can continue sharing apps, books, movies, and music without having to share an iTunes account on our computers or devices.

Since in iOS6, we don't even need to enter passwords for updates, Home Sharing is hands down the best way to do it. The old way of sharing by using the same iTunes Store apple id is now officially dead.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
The first screenshot I saw scared me a lot, because it looked like the terrible iPad music app. Hopefully they buried features rather than threw them out altogether.

I might be in the minority, but iTunes has always worked fine for me most of the time…

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
Ughhh...... noo!!! Why!??? I like the classic iTunes layout just fine thank you very much. Apple is digging themselves into a grave through their obsession with constantly changing things.

We'll be able to have the list view for now, but down the road it won't be an option anymore.

muthuka

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
Andover, MA
iTunes 10.7 available now!

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple announced a new version of iTunes at today's media event featuring a "dramatically simpler" interface with an edge-to-edge design.

The updated media application will show albums in a grid interface with song listings unfolding below the album cover art when clicked. Searching is improved, showing inline results as you type and the mini-player has been redesigned to show a miniature version of the album cover art and album and song information and playback controls.

The updated iTunes will also get iCloud integration to show all your media content saved in Apple's cloud storage service and save your position in movies automatically so that you can pick up where you left off on another device.

The new version of iTunes will be available in late October.

Article Link: Apple Announces Major iTunes Update

No idea what Apple is saying on its iTunes pages. iTunes landing page says, 10.7 will be available in October. But it's now available at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/. It's not what they showed on the demo or the site!

Steve........

----------

Hated the update at first, but glad we can still get back to the list option. Finally, there's a play next feature! Awesome! Was expecting a download available straight away, though. Late October :eek:

10.7 is available now at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
Thankfully it isnt skeumorphed. I half expected it to be a large vinyl that you span with the mouse.

I hope it is rebuilt from the ground up and not just a reskin. Also hope iOS/iPod management has been divorced out of it into its own management app, but thats probably wishful logical thinking.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
still hoping naively that there will an option for increased itunes match...

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Not happy at all with the way they've made iTunes like the iPad app, where browsing by artist is done by a grid of album art squares. It's so clumsy compared to a nice list where you can just scroll down by name. I really hope the standard column browser is still included otherwise I'll just hold on to the current version.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Here's what you get from the install...

What's new in iTunes*10.7

iTunes 10.7 adds support for iOS 6 running on compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models. This update also adds support for the latest iPod nano and iPod shuffle models.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
10.7 is available for download now if you go to apple.com/itunes/download.
It's seems to be something of an interim release to support new products, until the new iTunes is available in late October.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.