Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:56 PM   #51
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret...

iTunes has become a complete joke of a software application. It is an antiquated, bloated mess and was badly in need of updating. iTunes is literally the worst thing Apple is associated with. It's even worse than their earbuds.

Trying to improve the absolute worst thing they provide is a good thing. It was in desperate need of a redesign.
I'm sorry, say again? Your post contradicts itself 100%.

If this is a secret (and it certainly wasn't "known" to me), that means that people weren't aware it needed an update, which means IT WAS WORKING FOR PEOPLE JUST FINE!!!
StephenCampbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:57 PM   #52
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

Oh I see, my mistake.. I'm looking forward to the next version, the upcoming interface looks pretty amazing.. Also really love the small player compared to the current version..
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:59 PM   #53
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

I'm getting really mad. I've had enough of this.

Even though I make money off of helpless victims of this system who call me saying "Help! What happened!? Everything changed! It was just fine as it was!" I still would rather this insanity machine would stop churning out its iCrap.
StephenCampbell is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:03 PM   #54
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiwizard View Post
Same.

Now all they need is iTunes Match for movies so I can get rid of my external HDD full of rips
no kidding! I would love if they did that haha
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:06 PM   #55
mjsanders5uk
macrumors member

All I want is this:

I have all my music on a Mac mini which sit's in our living room and acts a entertainment hub.

I can listen to that music from that computer any one of four laptops, two iphones, an ipad or an ipod.

But my iPhone and ipad are both linked to one of the laptops (a 17" MBP) but I don't want to clog up the hard drive with music so I keep a duplicate of the library on an external drive. This means every time I add an album I have to clone the library.

Why can't the I just access the music on the MM and sync it across to the iPhone via the MBP? It would make my life so much easier.

Or have the music synced from the MM iTunes library.

And whilst they are at it can't I do the same with iPhoto and have a single iphoto/aperture library accessible from many computers.

After all they are all registered for home sharing!!!
mjsanders5uk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:10 PM   #56
scotty588
macrumors 6502

itunes 10.7 jailbreak safe?
scotty588 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:12 PM   #57
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

The GUI gets mad uglified IMO. I'd love to see some screenshots of the Windows version - hopefully they do a widget match for Windows 8, and might I dare to suggest they do a metro version? Perhaps late October launch to match Windows 8 . 64-bit across the board?

Queue next is an at least 10-year overdue feature, but it's going to be hard to take the hit to the GUI - at least it will match the horrible MAS GUI, I really dislike that they move the play, etc. buttons in just to accommodate the widgets that shouldn't even be where they are. What was that one version we got with vertical traffic lights? Who could have known that was the peak time? Like Safari 4 beta with tabs on top ... these things we can't get back .
MartiNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:13 PM   #58
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret...

iTunes has become a complete joke of a software application. It is an antiquated, bloated mess and was badly in need of updating. iTunes is literally the worst thing Apple is associated with. It's even worse than their earbuds.

Trying to improve the absolute worst thing they provide is a good thing. It was in desperate need of a redesign.
No issues with iTunes here. It's my media hub and it's used every day to stream music and movies to AppleTV and third party wifi speakers. It does a lot of different things I would miss if they eliminated so I don't agree with the "it's bloated" comments.
PNutts is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:13 PM   #59
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsanders5uk View Post
All I want is this:

I have all my music on a Mac mini which sit's in our living room and acts a entertainment hub.

I can listen to that music from that computer any one of four laptops, two iphones, an ipad or an ipod.

But my iPhone and ipad are both linked to one of the laptops (a 17" MBP) but I don't want to clog up the hard drive with music so I keep a duplicate of the library on an external drive. This means every time I add an album I have to clone the library.

Why can't the I just access the music on the MM and sync it across to the iPhone via the MBP? It would make my life so much easier.

Or have the music synced from the MM iTunes library.

And whilst they are at it can't I do the same with iPhoto and have a single iphoto/aperture library accessible from many computers.

After all they are all registered for home sharing!!!
Why wouldn't you just sync with the MM? You can even do so via wifi.
BaldiMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:23 PM   #60
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

Think for a second about what it means if people have to be TOLD that their software needs an update!

Think about it!!!

It means the technical side of the software was completely transparent to them, meaning it was functioning perfectly and had no problems!

"Oh, my software is bloated and incoherent? My apologies, I failed to notice.... I must have been too distracted by IT DOING EVERYTHING I WANTED!"

Damn it!
StephenCampbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:31 PM   #61
milo
macrumors 603

Oh, I noticed how bloated it is, along with many other people. One of the least "transparent" pieces of software Apple has shipped.

I wonder if there will be any improvements to iTunes Match along with this update and iOS 6, such as allowing nested smart playlists.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:39 PM   #62
Atlantico
macrumors 6502

I can't even define any more what iTunes is, if I was asked. An mp3 player? Podcast manager? Movie player? Calender sync program? App sync program? Media store? etc.

This confusing and bloated mess of an application just needs to be pick one and do it well, instead of this mess.

I'd settle for a really good music player.
Atlantico is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:55 PM   #63
Medium Rare
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
so glad they added 'up next'/play queue.

Just downloaded 10.7. where exactly do I find this 'up next'/play queue feature ?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:59 PM   #64
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Just downloaded 10.7. where exactly do I find this 'up next'/play queue feature ?
You don't. It's in 11, shipping in October.
milo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:00 PM   #65
idunn
macrumors regular

What exactly was wrong with it?

Call me a stick in the mud, but far from sure I'm all that jazzed or want this new version of iTunes.

At present I have no problems whatsoever navigating to that desired, be it music, movies, what have you. So maybe this new iteration in some ways will be splendidly better, but if having to search around for that currently easy to findócheesed.

I'm fairly certain one feature this new version of iTunes will NOT have is a full and accurate description of any movie one may wish to purchase. That has to do with aspect ratio, and the better subject of a separate post I'll get to later.

Besides, who is paying all that much attention at the moment to anything but the new iPods and iPhone.
idunn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:01 PM   #66
pjarvi
macrumors 65816

All I want to know is if they fixed the problem with iTunes failing to detect 1080P displays? It's very annoying getting a pop-up every time I play a HD movie or TV show reporting that my 1080P plasma TV isn't capable of playing 1080P when it damn well is! No problems with HDCP, cables, or anything else. Blu-rays play perfectly as well as everything from other sources. Only iTunes has issues. After clicking Continue it plays the movie perfectly fine.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:02 PM   #67
Medium Rare
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
You don't. It's in 11, shipping in October.

Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:06 PM   #68
dyrer
macrumors member

Should I download it or wait from updates?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:09 PM   #69
Sven11
macrumors 6502a

No updates show up in the App Store?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:17 PM   #70
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

"Music," "Movies," "TV Shows," "Podcasts," "iTunes U," "Books," "Apps," "Radio."

Neatly sitting one on top the other in the left-hand column. Nothing bloated or disorganized about it.

Seriously... what is wrong with the current iTunes? It's snappy and convenient and organized.
StephenCampbell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:19 PM   #71
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankey View Post
We all have 4gb - 8gb of ram. It doesn't hog memory.
No we don't.

And yes it does hog ram. 150-200mb of ram usage for just an mp3 player? Are you kidding me?
wikus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:26 PM   #72
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCampbell View Post
It's snappy
No, it's not. That's my biggest complaint, performance. That, and iTunes Match is a disaster. But fixing iTunes itself would be a good start.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:29 PM   #73
golf1410
macrumors 6502a

OS X 10.8.2 today?
golf1410 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:31 PM   #74
Variant
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCampbell View Post
"Music," "Movies," "TV Shows," "Podcasts," "iTunes U," "Books," "Apps," "Radio."

Neatly sitting one on top the other in the left-hand column. Nothing bloated or disorganized about it.

Seriously... what is wrong with the current iTunes? It's snappy and convenient and organized.
Don't update it then and stop spamming this thread. No one cares what you have to say.
Variant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:42 PM   #75
nvjusme
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to nvjusme
no update for me yet?

I tried to check for updates and it says my version is current at 10.6.3.

I guess I'll check again later
nvjusme is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion