Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:45 PM   #76
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf1410 View Post
OS X 10.8.2 today?
Doubtful since they just sent out a beta of it last night, and not labeled GM. Almost certainly by next wednesday though.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:49 PM   #77
efktd
macrumors regular

um.. i'm more of a playlists kind of organizer
efktd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:56 PM   #78
wankey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
No we don't.

And yes it does hog ram. 150-200mb of ram usage for just an mp3 player? Are you kidding me?
You don't? Time to upgrade buddy.
wankey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:59 PM   #79
urbanslaughter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarjoe View Post
I actually kind of agree with you, but I wanted to point out that you CAN sync wirelessly with iTunes just like a normal sync, no cable required, no icloud required. Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync. Needs to be enabled in iTunes first.
Don't really agree with this being called "wireless sync" since you need to be plugged into power and connected to Wi-Fi. It's not exactly wireless, but it get's the job done. I honestly don't find it any easier to just plug in my phone than to plug it into the computer. I mean, really, what's the difference?
urbanslaughter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:03 PM   #80
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
No, it's not. That's my biggest complaint, performance. That, and iTunes Match is a disaster. But fixing iTunes itself would be a good start.
Don't use iTunes Match. It's stupid and unnecessary. Like every other "feature" that Apple has introduced since 2005.
StephenCampbell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:07 PM   #81
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanslaughter View Post
Don't really agree with this being called "wireless sync" since you need to be plugged into power and connected to Wi-Fi. It's not exactly wireless, but it get's the job done.
It's exactly wireless. It doesn't need to be plugged in to sync wirelessly. It just only does so automatically when it's plugged in.

Quote:
I honestly don't find it any easier to just plug in my phone than to plug it into the computer. I mean, really, what's the difference?
The difference is that you don't need to be near your computer. I charge my iPhone at night on my nightstand. It syncs with my computer in another room.
BaldiMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:07 PM   #82
liquidsuns
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanslaughter View Post
Don't really agree with this being called "wireless sync" since you need to be plugged into power and connected to Wi-Fi. It's not exactly wireless, but it get's the job done. I honestly don't find it any easier to just plug in my phone than to plug it into the computer. I mean, really, what's the difference?

You only to have it plugged in to auto-sync. You can manually wireless sync whenever you want to.
liquidsuns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:08 PM   #83
urbanslaughter
macrumors regular

I love the fact that they describe the new iTunes as making your music more fun. I don't get on iTunes to make my music more fun . . . My music is plenty fun. I get on iTunes because my music collection is enormous and I want to be able to navigate it more easily. Make it easier for me to find things. Make it easier for me to discover things in my collection. Don't make it hard for me to shuffle a playlist (I'm talking to you iPad music player - which has made listening to music so un-fun that I no longer listen to music on there). Simplify it so searching and discovering are easier. That's all I want.
urbanslaughter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:09 PM   #84
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankey View Post
You don't? Time to upgrade buddy.
Time to stop believing apple fluff.

Just because some or many dont have 4gb is no reason to let iTunes become the disgusting bloated mess it is today. For the record, I have 4gb, but I multitask a lot and use a lot of ram within the Adobe Creative Suite. Theres *NO EXCUSE* for iTunes to take up more than 50mb of RAM and it reaches 200mb sometimes.
wikus is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:10 PM   #85
urbanslaughter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsuns View Post
You only to have it plugged in to auto-sync. You can manually wireless sync whenever you want to.
True, that's a fair point. I guess I just want to be able to put my phone down, forget about it and have it freshly-synced the next time I pick it up. I may be asking too much. But that's why we all get on here.
urbanslaughter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:32 PM   #86
nvbrit
macrumors 6502

iCloud Streaming?

The new iTunes page seems to confirm that we'll be able to download or stream from iCloud now, however it's not completely clear if this is just the desktop version of iTunes or the iOS versions too, but seems to be iOS too as it mentions "all your devices"

it says: "With iCloud, you can access your content on all your devices. And now, when you buy an album, song, movie, or TV show on any device, it’s instantly accessible in your iTunes library on your Mac or PC. Just double-click to play. Or if you’re going offline — say, taking your notebook on a plane — click the new Download button and bring a copy with you."

http://www.apple.com/itunes/new-itunes/

Last edited by nvbrit; Sep 12, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
nvbrit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:46 PM   #87
ThunderRoad
macrumors member

Does anyone have an image of how iTunes 11 looks in list mode? Apparently they showed it briefly today...
ThunderRoad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:57 PM   #88
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a

Anybody installed this? Can anyone help me out with podcasts in iTunes 10.7 ?

I mostly use iTunes for podcasts, and since the Podcasts app on iPhone is a disaster, iTunes is still my go-to for Podcasts library/sync.

I can wait to update, if this is more of the same Podcasts app madness. Deleted that thing as quickly as I installed it. I still have a library of podcasts, and Apple seems to be coming to treat them as disposable items, that don't need organisation beyond the simplest use-case. If this is happening on the Mac, I'm $crewed.
albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:59 PM   #89
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Getting error -1100 when trying to check for updates in 10.8.1.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1100.)
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:04 PM   #90
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

I take it we have to dl this?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:21 PM   #91
skinEman23
macrumors member

no more powerpc support... looks like i may finally have to retire the ibook i've been using as an itunes server for my apple tv.
skinEman23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:01 PM   #92
turtlez
Banned

Looks so sweet!! can't wait. Get it for my birthday!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinEman23 View Post
no more powerpc support... looks like i may finally have to retire the ibook i've been using as an itunes server for my apple tv.
it's not a forced upgrade mate. No need to be so somber about pushing forward.
turtlez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:05 PM   #93
wankey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
Time to stop believing apple fluff.

Just because some or many dont have 4gb is no reason to let iTunes become the disgusting bloated mess it is today. For the record, I have 4gb, but I multitask a lot and use a lot of ram within the Adobe Creative Suite. Theres *NO EXCUSE* for iTunes to take up more than 50mb of RAM and it reaches 200mb sometimes.
Look, every single computer in the PC industry has more ram than you. Every PC sold has at least 6gb of ram now, hell 8gb of ram isn't even an upgrade option for most laptop PCs, 16gb is just standard.

You're just being a whiny guy, none of this is gonna change any time soon. Software always gets bloatier and bigger, are you still going to complain when you have 2gb of ram and OS X 10.9 requires at least 4gb?

They're not going to waste countless hours of engineering time, that's about easly 100 bucks an hour for 1 engineer to work on this "memory" issue when every computer they're selling has well over 4gb of ram.
wankey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:05 PM   #94
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

“The new iTunes works seamlessly with iCloud"

I hope it does not require iCloud because iCloud is not available to everyone. Our network speed is too slow. Many rural folk won't have connections fast enough for iCloud. It is an urban thing. Quite frankly I don't want my data stored in iCloud for many reasons including security. Store Local.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:09 PM   #95
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Nowhere have I read that states or even implies that iCloud is required. It even talks about being offline:

Quote:
Or if you’re going offline — say, taking your notebook on a plane — click the new Download button and bring a copy with you.
When they say iCloud, they talk about "can" not "must"
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:21 PM   #96
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankey View Post
Look, every single computer in the PC industry has more ram than you. Every PC sold has at least 6gb of ram now, hell 8gb of ram isn't even an upgrade option for most laptop PCs, 16gb is just standard.

You're just being a whiny guy, none of this is gonna change any time soon. Software always gets bloatier and bigger, are you still going to complain when you have 2gb of ram and OS X 10.9 requires at least 4gb?

They're not going to waste countless hours of engineering time, that's about easly 100 bucks an hour for 1 engineer to work on this "memory" issue when every computer they're selling has well over 4gb of ram.
If there were more software developers that had your mindset we'd still be tolerating dodgy microsoft products and other third rate engineering. Its funny to read this kind of passive reply considering were on an apple forum where the vast majority of apple fanboys here take pride in their purchases because its typically meant having a superior product, and for the most part, its true because apple does excel in the OS platform compared to microsoft.

But your excuses are ridiculous, basically what your doing is condoning lazy developers for not ironing out their products.

I shouldnt have to fork out extra cash on a piece of software that i already payed good money on just to get it to run well knowing it needs a bit of optimization. But hey, OS X 10.6 according to your logic was a waste of development especially with its low price point even if that means its Apple best release of OS X to date.

wikus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:30 PM   #97
rossip
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
Getting error -1100 when trying to check for updates in 10.8.1.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1100.)
Same here, servers must be swamped.
rossip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:30 PM   #98
penajmz
macrumors 6502a

Are developers getting this any time soon?
penajmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:49 PM   #99
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by albusseverus View Post
Anybody installed this? Can anyone help me out with podcasts in iTunes 10.7 ?

I mostly use iTunes for podcasts, and since the Podcasts app on iPhone is a disaster, iTunes is still my go-to for Podcasts library/sync.

I can wait to update, if this is more of the same Podcasts app madness. Deleted that thing as quickly as I installed it. I still have a library of podcasts, and Apple seems to be coming to treat them as disposable items, that don't need organisation beyond the simplest use-case. If this is happening on the Mac, I'm $crewed.
The graphic on the downloads page does not inspire. Podcasts are listed in the text beside the graphic, but I can't remember if you have to have podcasts before you see the category in the library.

albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:20 PM   #100
jwdsail
macrumors regular

System requirements?

I was hoping this update would run 10.6 and newer, but the heavy ties to iCloud leave me concerned.. Still a 10.6 holdout due to needing Frontrow.. grrr..

Anyone track down the iTunes 11 systems requirements yet?
jwdsail is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion