Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lizard79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
From the iBook users guide (page 53):
"Your computer processes data at the speed of PC2100 DDR 266 Type RAM. You can install PC2400 DDR 333 Type RAM, but your iBook will run at the lower speed."
=> there was no speed bump on the RAM speed

Furthermore:
"The RECOMMENDED maximum amount of memory you can install in your iBook is 1.5GB, using one 1GB DIMM in the memory slot."

=> It seems to be possible to get even larger memsticks running on the machine..

ciao, hans

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
lizard79 said:
"Your computer processes data at the speed of PC2100 DDR 266 Type RAM. You can install PC2400 DDR 333 Type RAM, but your iBook will run at the lower speed."

Furthermore:
"The RECOMMENDED maximum amount of memory you can install in your iBook is 1.5GB, using one 1GB DIMM in the memory slot."

=> It seems to be possible to get even larger memsticks running on the machine..

ciao, hans

Hmm...I wonder why everybody who knows a lot about ram, including Crucial, Data Memory Systems, and our very own CanadaRam, is saying PC2700 DDR 333 is all that's compatible with the new rev. I would have to say the manual is mistaken.

Its credibility can already be questioned due a rather huge mistake about the way the battery fits (claims battery should snap back into place like the PBook battery, but battery has be locked manually into place).

I'm going to call bs until somebody with more expertise weighs in.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I could be wrong, but I think they use the 333 ram because the 14 inch iBook FSB is 142 MHZ. 266 wouldn't take advantage of the faster FSB. They probably just buy 333 in bulk because it's easier or cheaper than buying both.

They do advertise the RAM as being 333, but in the tech specs it clearly states the speed of the FSB.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
lizard79 said:
Furthermore:
There are no 2 Gb DDR PC2700 SODIMMs. In the unlikely event that there will be any produced, it would be very surprising if the hardware memory controller in the iBook could address memory above 1024 Mb on the chips.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
ram in syncronus with the system bus, ddr runs at half it's rated speed but at "double data rate"

the 1.33GHz 12" runs at 133MHz x2 which is pc2100, and the 1.42GHz ibook runs pc2700 ram at 142MHz which is ~pc2400 it's cheaper for apple to buy the same ram in bulk and solder the same stuff to the logic board and the same stuff on the CTO page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.