Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
Since I'm still in contract with AT&T and don't particularly care to extend my contract, I plan to buy an unlocked iPhone 5. I remember with the 4S that the unlocked one was released a few weeks after the carrier-locked version, but haven't seen anything yet regarding the unlocked version of the iPhone 5. Any information on this?

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
yes i wanna know this too... last time it was around a month after they released the locked one's ... by the way buying AT&T at full price would most likely be unlocked just like last time!

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
With the 4S, it was 1 month. October 19 is 4 weeks after the 5's launch so probably somewhere around there.

= bluntman =

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I was looking for that information too, but thankfully buying it through the Canadian Apple Store will give you an unlocked phone.

From the FAQ on the Canadian Apple Store:

Can I use my iPhone outside my home country?
Yes. iPhone is enabled to work on carrier networks using GSM around the world. Because the iPhone sold by the Apple Online Store is SIM-free, you can purchase a SIM card and service from a local carrier at your destination. Or check with your home carrier regarding international roaming charges.

Last edited:

loopingkuma

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
But iPhone 5 in Canada is $699, possibly $50 more expensive than US.

Canada 4S - 599 , US 4S - 549. $50 cheaper for 4S. Hopefully it is the case for 5 as well.

btw, unlocked 4S came out 6 weeks after, slightly longer than a month. It came out end of November.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.