Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
Many have said here that your data plan will be grandfathered to the new phone. However I read this on Market watch.

Upgrading can also come at a price, including upgrade fees of roughly $30 and the elimination of old unlimited-data plans. Plus, as The Wall Street Journal recently reported, consumers using a 4G LTE connection tend to consume more data—1.2GB per month, versus 500MB for those on slower connections. “Not everybody needs all of those different small bumps up to iPhone 5,” Satyavolu says. “It comes down to personal choice.”

There will also be a $30 extra charge for the plan??

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Many have said here that your data plan will be grandfathered to the new phone. However I read this on Market watch.

Upgrading can also come at a price, including upgrade fees of roughly $30 and the elimination of old unlimited-data plans. Plus, as The Wall Street Journal recently reported, consumers using a 4G LTE connection tend to consume more data—1.2GB per month, versus 500MB for those on slower connections. “Not everybody needs all of those different small bumps up to iPhone 5,” Satyavolu says. “It comes down to personal choice.”

There will also be a $30 extra charge for the plan??

I'm missing your point.... First off, if one is grandfathered in on the unlimited data, then what does it matter if you use 500MB or 1.2GB? Secondly, the $30 upgrade fee is true for all phones, so again not sure what your point is. It is a one time cost. Does it suck? Sure, but whether you get a dumb phone or an iPhone, it's all the same....

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
My point is that they said there will be an elimination of unlimited data plans

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
My point is that they said there will be an elimination of unlimited data plans

I hope this is true. This is from there terms and conditions:

If you are an AT&T unlimited data plan customer, AT&T may migrate you from the unlimited data plan to a tiered data plan and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. We will provide you with notice of this change at least one billing cycle in advance either by a bill insert, email, text message, or

Has anyone seen an official announcement from them in regards to the iphone 5?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If you are an AT&T unlimited data plan customer, AT&T may migrate you from the unlimited data plan to a tiered data plan and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. We will provide you with notice of this change at least one billing cycle in advance either by a bill insert, email, text message, or

Has anyone seen an official announcement from them in regards to the iphone 5?

Nope so grandfathered at&t customers should be fine for the time being.

----------

Buy the phone full price

Avoid losing Unlimited Data. Just that simple.

Full Price
649, 749, 849.

That's only for Verizon customers.

Steve~Jobs

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
I am grandfathered into the Unlimited data and just contacted AT&T via online chat and here is a direct quote from the customer service agent:

"Your current unlimited data plan will continue to be grandfathered in when you upgrade to the iPhone 5"

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Not sure this makes sense if you're going to get throttled after 3GB/mo.

Throlled? I'm with Verizon, i don't know that word, and I average 15gbs of data a month, and proud of it.

Phone smart. phone gets used. Wifi or no wifi.

I have unlimited Data and will continue to have unlimited data until the data cap prices for 4g change.

imagine how fast 2gs of data will be consumed on a 4g network.
I dont have that problem.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
I am grandfathered into the Unlimited data and just contacted AT&T via online chat and here is a direct quote from the customer service agent:

"Your current unlimited data plan will continue to be grandfathered in when you upgrade to the iPhone 5"

awesome! Thanks for sharing!

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Throlled? I'm with Verizon, i don't know that word, and I average 15gbs of data a month, and proud of it.

Phone smart. phone gets used. Wifi or no wifi.

I have unlimited Data and will continue to have unlimited data until the data cap prices for 4g change.

imagine how fast 2gs of data will be consumed on a 4g network.
I dont have that problem.

Same story here.... Seriously considering paying the 700 to keep the unlimited plan on 4G.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
I would feel a little better if when you go on the apple site to buy it would show this. They any show the unlimited plans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.