Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
zioxide
macrumors 603

Deals on old Nano

Hello there. I'm looking to get an old model (6th generation) clip-on Nano. Obviously, I wanted to wait to see what Apple had up their sleeves today before buying, but that new Nano, while really nice, is just too big for me. I really want the clip on one for biking and working out.

Anyone seen any websites offering discounts on the old model now that the new ones have been released?
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:31 PM   #2
ftaok
macrumors 601

I'd suggest buying a 6G nano now. Refurbished nanos go for $99 at the Apple Store. I'm betting brick/mortar stores will drop their prices pretty soon.

Then, when the battery runs out, send it in to Apple for a replacement for $59.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:05 PM   #3
riverfreak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Hello there. I'm looking to get an old model (6th generation) clip-on Nano. Obviously, I wanted to wait to see what Apple had up their sleeves today before buying, but that new Nano, while really nice, is just too big for me. I really want the clip on one for biking and working out.

Anyone seen any websites offering discounts on the old model now that the new ones have been released?
Agreed. The previous nano was darn near perfect: tiny with a built in clip perfect for workouts or even just walking around with some background music.

I dont care if it was running a pseudo iOS.

I'm stocking up on old ones. Two should do it. I'm no Luddite but new tech is not always better tech.
riverfreak is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfreak View Post
Agreed. The previous nano was darn near perfect: tiny with a built in clip perfect for workouts or even just walking around with some background music.

I dont care if it was running a pseudo iOS.

I'm stocking up on old ones. Two should do it. I'm no Luddite but new tech is not always better tech.
same here. they did another classic nano-phat blunder
Yr Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:40 PM   #5
iLLUMI
macrumors 6502

Stocking Up

I was hunting around for a 6th gen Nano too because I feared that if my current one dies then I'll never be able to replace it.
I was holding out for a price drop however it never happened. A lot of stores here in Australia stopped ordering them some time ago and just let the old stock deplete over time. They have been really difficult to get a hold of. I was lucky enough to find a 8gb version in the color I wanted for AUD $122.
No one seems to have the 16gb versions however there is still the odd 8gb around.
So anyway I now have 2 x 6th gen Nano's which should hopefully give me a few years of usage. Who knows, maybe in a couple of years the Nano will be back to the 6th gen form factor.
iLLUMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Built
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLUMI View Post
I was hunting around for a 6th gen Nano too because I feared that if my current one dies then I'll never be able to replace it.
I was holding out for a price drop however it never happened. A lot of stores here in Australia stopped ordering them some time ago and just let the old stock deplete over time. They have been really difficult to get a hold of. I was lucky enough to find a 8gb version in the color I wanted for AUD $122.
No one seems to have the 16gb versions however there is still the odd 8gb around.
So anyway I now have 2 x 6th gen Nano's which should hopefully give me a few years of usage. Who knows, maybe in a couple of years the Nano will be back to the 6th gen form factor.
I hear you. I actually bought several myself over the last week. I found a single Target store (I'm in California) which still had the 6th Gen in Silver (8GB). I am keeping two on watches...and one for the gym. The others I will likely sell off when the supplies run out. The form factor and the fact that you can wear it as watch is likely to make this particular Nano sought-after by a specific audience for some time.
Built is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:44 AM   #7
JonnyIreland
macrumors 6502a

I agree, the 6th gen Nano is going to become a real collector's item. I was actually more a fan of the older 4th/5th gen and was never really wowed by the 6th gen... Then I saw someone wearing it with the LunaTik watch strap one day!

I was hoping to find one on clearance somewhere but they are definitely in short supply, even at full retail price. I managed to pick up an 8gb silver at a Toys'R'Us yesterday, now can't wait for that LunaTik to arrive!

Anyway, the point of my post is to say that if you are thinking about trying to grab a 6th gen before it 'dies' for good -you better do it now, especially if you are looking for one of the 'popular' colours.
JonnyIreland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Built
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyIreland View Post
I agree, the 6th gen Nano is going to become a real collector's item. I was actually more a fan of the older 4th/5th gen and was never really wowed by the 6th gen... Then I saw someone wearing it with the LunaTik watch strap one day!

I was hoping to find one on clearance somewhere but they are definitely in short supply, even at full retail price. I managed to pick up an 8gb silver at a Toys'R'Us yesterday, now can't wait for that LunaTik to arrive!

Anyway, the point of my post is to say that if you are thinking about trying to grab a 6th gen before it 'dies' for good -you better do it now, especially if you are looking for one of the 'popular' colours.
Amen. I managed to get 7 of them...4 silver, 3 graphite...I will use 3 of them...and keep the others sealed in their boxes for when I decide to sell them off.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:48 PM   #9
kavabuggy
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to kavabuggy Send a message via Yahoo to kavabuggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyIreland View Post

personally, i prefer the 5th generation nanos, and i have three of them (red one from ebay, pink one a co-worker sold to me last weekend for $25, and then a green one i got at best buy back in 2008 for traveling. two are used at my parents' home for their game room stereo and an ihome in the room i sleep in, and one at my place for an ihome.), but i'd always wanted to wear a 6th gen one as a watch.

i trust the "rumors" here, so i snapped up a red 6th gen nano at an apple store a few weeks before the sept 12 event. the following week, i purchased some screen protectors (walmart) and a brown leather iwatch strap (fry's), and have been wearing my nano watch since. it's weird...i'm a petite girl, and i always wear a giant watch, and no one ever admires or notices my watch unless i'm wearing the nano.
13.3" MacBook, Green 8GB 5th Gen iPod Nano, Red 8GB 6th Gen iPod Nano, 120GB iPod Classic, 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle, 32GB 4th Gen iPod Touch, Black 16GB iPhone 3G, Black 32GB iPhone 4, Black 64GB iPhone 5

Last edited by kavabuggy; Sep 27, 2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: clarification
kavabuggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:42 PM   #10
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built View Post
Amen. I managed to get 7 of them...4 silver, 3 graphite...I will use 3 of them...and keep the others sealed in their boxes for when I decide to sell them off.
Scalper!

J/k

Anyways the Apple Store is still selling them. I spoke to a Genius today and he said they will take them off the shelves when the 7g nano's come n. so if you want more, better hurry up.

Afro what it's worth, he said that they'll continue to make more 6g nano's to use as replacements and repair units. If your battery dies, the replacement is $59. Otherwise a flat fee of $65 covers a repair out of warranty.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:08 AM   #11
TC400
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to TC400
Other than getting a refinished one for $99 which is great. No I have not.
TC400 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Built
macrumors 68020

I just ordered one from megamacs.com for $89...OEM, no cable, headphones. It's on its way. We'll see if it really is a good deal once it arrives I've never purchased from that site before but they have decent reviews, and they shipped quickly.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 02:32 PM   #13
TC400
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I just ordered one from megamacs.com for $89...OEM, no cable, headphones. It's on its way. We'll see if it really is a good deal once it arrives I've never purchased from that site before but they have decent reviews, and they shipped quickly.
Why no cable and headphones?

Is it even new?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Built
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC400 View Post
Why no cable and headphones?

Is it even new?
It's supposed to be new, according to the website. They have good reviews and a return policy? If it's not as described, it's going back. My hunch is that they bought a stock of replacement Nanos (the ones that they would use at Apple Stores for replacements...those don't come with cable or headphones because they instruct you to keep your originals).

I have plenty of cables and headphones already. The Apple Refurb store is out of the Nano in Silver which is the only one that interests me.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 07:08 PM   #15
na1577
macrumors 6502a

I got a great deal on the 6th gen nano last year, got a refurbished one for $50. I had always opposed the touch nano because it lost so many features in comparison to the 5th gen, but after using it I realized that it was a solid music player in its own right.

Sadly, I lost mine a few months ago. I'm hoping I'll stumble across another good deal, because I miss having it in my collection.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:58 PM   #16
TC400
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's supposed to be new, according to the website. They have good reviews and a return policy? If it's not as described, it's going back. My hunch is that they bought a stock of replacement Nanos (the ones that they would use at Apple Stores for replacements...those don't come with cable or headphones because they instruct you to keep your originals).

I have plenty of cables and headphones already. The Apple Refurb store is out of the Nano in Silver which is the only one that interests me.
Thats makes perfect sense lol. I'm not the brightest star in the sky sometimes.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:55 AM   #17
iLLUMI
macrumors 6502

Nano 16GB for $125

Just bought another Nano. Over the phone the store told me it was an 8GB demo model but it turned out to be a 16GB demo. It had already been reduced down to AUD $155. After a bit of haggling and the fact that the guy damaged the clip slightly in the process of removing it from it's stand, he dropped the price down to AUD $125. Sweeeeet! 16GB for $125.
All I need to do now is track down some protective cases and screen protectors.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:59 AM   #18
broboore
macrumors regular

The graphite version is available in the Apple refurb section right now in both 8GB and 16GB. (Sunday morning 10/21/12)
broboore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:04 AM   #19
Built
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Update on megamacs.com. My order came very quickly. A brand new iPod Nano (OEM, no cable or headphones). It was packed beautifully...a big box with LOTS of padding for one tiny little Nano.

I just ordered two more from them. Silver 89.99 each
Built is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:24 PM   #20
racoop
macrumors newbie

Brand new 6th gen replacements for the battery-issue nanos are all over Ebay. Got one shipped for $90.

Last edited by racoop; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:56 AM.
racoop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:59 PM   #21
iLLUMI
macrumors 6502

If you're on the east coast of Australia then this may interest you. Good prices: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/calou...ew-/1006226848

Basically it's Dwyers Electrical getting rid of surplus stock via GumTree.
8gb $99
16gb $119

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Tags
ipod nano