Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:02 AM   #26
CyBeRino
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanterClaus View Post
Dammit. This is good overall but it means i'm going to have to get a new contract if I get a new iPhone.

Unless mobile carriers somehow come up with a way for you to transfer sim data.
Since a new contract won't actually transfer any SIM data at all, I assume you mean associating the SIM with your account.

This is something every carrier can do within seconds. They just remove the current SIM and add the new one to your account. So far as the network is concerned, it's just associating SIM 124 with the account instead of SIM 123.

So you can just walk into any carrier shop and go 'I'd like a new SIM please, my old one doesn't fit.' and they should set you up if they have nano-sims in stock.
CyBeRino is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:41 AM   #27
jamestada
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjackboy View Post
It looks like a regular or microsim CANNOT be cut down to this new nano sim size.

Also, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to use an adaptor with your new nano sim and use that inside a iPhone 4s or regular sim phone

This is really bad news for travellers.

And terrible for people who need to switch sims between devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenc View Post
You can use an adaptor to change the profile of a nano SIM to its micro and regular counterparts.

Correct...

Sim Adaptor...

You won't be able to use the older sims in the iPhone 5 unless the tolerances are really high and cut down. But you can ask your carrier for a new sim card for the line you want to use your iPhone5 in and then get an adapter to put the iPhone 5's nano sim with the adapter in your old phone.
jamestada is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:17 PM   #28
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestada View Post
Correct...

Sim Adaptor...

You won't be able to use the older sims in the iPhone 5 unless the tolerances are really high and cut down. But you can ask your carrier for a new sim card for the line you want to use your iPhone5 in and then get an adapter to put the iPhone 5's nano sim with the adapter in your old phone.
Better solution:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/27/d...lity-disorder/

If you relocate the sim contacts to the case, then use whatever size sim you can get your hands on.
hchung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:59 AM   #29
wildmannz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjackboy View Post
It looks like a regular or microsim CANNOT be cut down to this new nano sim size.

This is really bad news for travellers.

And terrible for people who need to switch sims between devices
Nah. Certainly not worth the effort of cutting down a SIM. Talk to your carrier. Some even give away free SIM adapters.
Then you can be sure its going to work properly - and swap it as much as you like.

I have ordered a handful of proper nanoSIM adapters already.

More facts here:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsc...dentity_module
See Formats.
Not much info from my carrier yet:
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/nano-sim/

Last edited by wildmannz; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
wildmannz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:57 AM   #30
iMrNiceGuy0023
macrumors 68000

there are nano sim adapters on eBay for micro sims already
iMrNiceGuy0023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:02 AM   #31
Frygon
macrumors newbie

It's possible to cut a Nano sim out of a Micro sim, but you'll need a file to reduce the size even in the thickness and you'll also have to remove a little bit of the metall too. But be carefull not to remove to much

Sent from an iPhone 5 with an ex Micro Sim
Frygon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:59 PM   #32
kittyb86
macrumors newbie

i'm reading that you can simply go get a new nano sim if you need one. it seems the only store here in madrid that has nano sims for sale is movistar is it possible that if i wait, other phone stores will get them eventually? i don't want to have to sign a contract with movistar, i prefer yoigo but the nano sim is unavailable here!!!! this is rather frustrating. i just need a spanish number and would like to keep my current one but the current number is from a regular sized sim card... there is no way to cut it down without it becoming inoperative, correct?
kittyb86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion