Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyLum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Will multitasking on the Verizon iPhone 5 be aloud now that LTE has been introduced? Specifically being on a call and surfing the net/map directions.

Thanks!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Only on LTE... not 3G or EV-DO.

Not true. Apparently the iPhone 5 supports EVDO rev. B which allows simultaneous voice & data. The HTC Thunderbolt and Samsung Galaxy S3 also support this (i have an S3 and simultaneous voice + data on 3G works quite well).

SenseiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Are you talking about voice and data at the same time? Not going to happen. It's a limitation of the CDMA technology.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Not true, LTE supports it and so does EVDO. iPH5 has both

Take a look at the other threads. It now seems as if Apple ON PURPOSE designed the Verizon & Sprint model to be incompatible with ANY simultaneous voice and data (SVD), and all the other models (GSM) are limited to SVD at 3G speeds only.

Apparently, Apple chose to NOT include a 3rd antenna necessary for voice + LTE.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Take a look at the other threads. It now seems as if Apple ON PURPOSE designed the Verizon & Sprint model to be incompatible with ANY simultaneous voice and data (SVD), and all the other models (GSM) are limited to SVD at 3G speeds only.

It's a function of using a single chip. Actually, when Verizon and Sprint adopt Voice over LTE, they will be able to support data and calls simultaneously. It's a curious decision by Apple, but I'm guessing that it's driven by their desire to save battery life and make the phone thinner. It gives me another reason to stay with AT&T, I guess.

----------

Not true, LTE supports it and so does EVDO. iPH5 has both

Are you talking about voice and data at the same time? Not going to happen. It's a limitation of the CDMA technology.

Other phones get around it by using two radios simultaneously. CDMA by itself does not allow it. So the other phones have one radio communicating over CDMA and another over LTE.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

Just read those, would be nice to see conformation from apple and not just Verizon.

I will have to rewatch the event from yesterday but I thought Tim had said that it would support calls and data at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.