Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ciordia9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Charlotte, NC
My wife and I buy our iPhones on alternating years so we can assure upgradability. She doesn't needed the latest and never minds the hand-me-downs.

The iPhone 5 release with the new nano-sim has us confused. It's her turn to pick up the phone, if she gets it we can no longer just do a sim card swap due to the nano vs micro.

What do we do?

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Assuming a adaptor comes out soon...

Update your current sims to nano format then use an adaptor so the nano works in phones needing micro or full size cards.

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Considering no other phones have nano sim, you wont be able to sim swap anymore.

Consider this: if you use a family plan, add an additional line. Upgrade under the additional line. Next year, your original line will be available to upgrade. The year after that, your additional line, etc. I've done that the last couple of years. As AT&T has modified plans over last couple of years, I have been using less minutes off of plan, (M2M, Free long distance, etc) I have been able to decrease my plan, which makes it cheaper and more justifiable to carry additional lines only to use as upgrade 'insurance'.

jeffm5690

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
At&t

I was told by AT&T today that when I get the new phone in my wife's name (it is her turn to upgrade) to just activate through itunes and I will be asked if I wish to activate it on her # or another. The supervisor told me to choose my current number and it will allow a cross upgrade.

Ciordia9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I was told by AT&T today that when I get the new phone in my wife's name (it is her turn to upgrade) to just activate through itunes and I will be asked if I wish to activate it on her # or another. The supervisor told me to choose my current number and it will allow a cross upgrade.

That's a great start. So how does your wife then get your old phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.