Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups

Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:47 PM   #1
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

iPhone 5 Meetup at Apple Store, The Gateway [Salt Lake City, Utah]

The iPhone 5 launches on September 21 at the Apple Store, The Gateway in Salt Lake City, Utah. This may be the last product launch at this location.

I'll be there most likely Thursday night, I know we have had a great setup in the past with others. Lets do the same thing and have some fun.

Last edited by benhollberg; Sep 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
benhollberg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:08 PM   #2
falcora
macrumors 6502

I'll be there again this year for sure. I was there for the 4S and new iPad. It should be a good time. I think we all have a pretty good setup going on there.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Gib
macrumors member

Launch advice wanted

I'm thinking of joining this year, but won't be able to go overnight... How many people would you guys say come to the Gateway for a launch? If I were to show up in the morning, when do you think I'd still be alright to pick up a iPhone?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:19 PM   #4
falcora
macrumors 6502

Last year they didn't sell out of iPhones until the afternoon I think. But this year the demand seems to be a bit higher based on the preorder status. If you got there by 6am you would pretty much be guaranteed to get the size and color you want.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:10 PM   #5
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcora View Post
I'll be there again this year for sure. I was there for the 4S and new iPad. It should be a good time. I think we all have a pretty good setup going on there.
Going for overnight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
I'm thinking of joining this year, but won't be able to go overnight... How many people would you guys say come to the Gateway for a launch? If I were to show up in the morning, when do you think I'd still be alright to pick up a iPhone?
I think the demand for the iPhone 5 is much greater than it was for the iPhone 4S although I still think more and more people are preordering online. No guarantees but I would say if you got there very early morning you should be fine. We keep this thread updated about the line also so if it gets crazy you'll know to come right away.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:38 AM   #6
falcora
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhollberg View Post
Going for overnight?
Yeah, not sure what time though. Maybe 8 or 9.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:32 PM   #7
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yeah, not sure what time though. Maybe 8 or 9.
Cool, I plan on around the same time for me.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Gib
macrumors member

Sorry I keep jacking the thread, but another question...

Any insights on Gateway compared to Fashion Place (store inventory, cool people in line, mall accommodating buyers, etc.)? I will go wherever will be the better option, but just curious how having two stores in the valley affected the 4S or iPad 3 launches...
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:19 PM   #9
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
Any insights on Gateway compared to Fashion Place (store inventory, cool people in line, mall accommodating buyers, etc.)?
Gateway is way better. There are more people (cool people) who always go to the Gateway, we have electricity and loud trains to keep us awake all night (as opposed to State Street). Also Gateway we can just wait out on the lawn and sidewalk behind the store, for Fashion Place you have to be off the Fashion Place property, which also means you can't be in the parking lot.

I'd say that more people go to Gateway also, so maybe you might want to arrive earlier. Have no idea on store inventory but I can't imagine that Fashion Place gets more stock than Gateway.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:41 PM   #10
Gib
macrumors member

Quote:
Gateway is way better. There are more people (cool people) who always go to the Gateway, we have electricity and loud trains to keep us awake all night (as opposed to State Street). Also Gateway we can just wait out on the lawn and sidewalk behind the store, for Fashion Place you have to be off the Fashion Place property, which also means you can't be in the parking lot.

I'd say that more people go to Gateway also, so maybe you might want to arrive earlier. Have no idea on store inventory but I can't imagine that Fashion Place gets more stock than Gateway.
Thanks Ben... Great insight. Sounds like the Gateway is the way to go! I'm still considering a preorder through Sprint (32gb not sold out yet), but otherwise I'll see you guys there.

By the way, I don't want to know what would keep you awake all night on state street!
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:20 PM   #11
falcora
macrumors 6502

Gateway is also where all the press comes, and people like Zagg give out free stuff. Got a free invisible shield for my ipad last time, as well as some new headphones.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:37 PM   #12
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Gateway is also where all the press comes, and people like Zagg give out free stuff. Got a free invisible shield for my ipad last time, as well as some new headphones.
Oh ya got free camping chairs last time, perfect gift. Also one year a free Zagg charger for USB. Not to mention all the local icons like falcora and benhollberg go.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:55 PM   #13
biomorph
macrumors newbie

I ordered the iPhone through att Friday morning. Doesn't look like I will get it on the 21st though. I am inclined just to cancel my preorder and camp out at gateway. It would be my first time camping out for an apple product. How many people usually line up? Is it worth spending the night there?
biomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:48 PM   #14
falcora
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomorph View Post
I ordered the iPhone through att Friday morning. Doesn't look like I will get it on the 21st though. I am inclined just to cancel my preorder and camp out at gateway. It would be my first time camping out for an apple product. How many people usually line up? Is it worth spending the night there?
I would cancel your order. By the time the doors open, there are usually a few hundred people in line. Possibly more since there seems to be much higher demand for the iPhone 5. It is quite a bit of fun to camp out anyways. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you have never done it before.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:45 PM   #15
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomorph View Post
How many people usually line up? Is it worth spending the night there?
Cancel your order and have some fun in line. As far as people, demand for this iPhone 5 seems to be bigger than last year and getting into iPhone 4 territory. For the iPhone 4 I remember we did a count at about 4:00 a.m. and there was 396 people in line. The question really is, how long do you want to wait on Friday after the store opens? If you just want to get out of there within an hour after opening I suggest staying the night.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:51 PM   #16
dialed1
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to dialed1
Quote:
The iPhone 5 launches on September 21 at the Apple Store, The Gateway in Salt Lake City, Utah. This may be the last product launch at this location.
Why last product launch?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:53 PM   #17
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialed1 View Post
Why last product launch?
Moving to City Creek Center.
http://cl.ly/JYBK
http://cl.ly/JXvb
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:11 PM   #18
falcora
macrumors 6502

Looks like I'll be coming with a bunch of coworkers now. Should have five of us there around 6 or 7 pm.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:23 PM   #19
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Looks like I'll be coming with a bunch of coworkers now. Should have five of us there around 6 or 7 pm.
Great, I moved some things around and I'll be there about 5:00 p.m. Weather is looking good. Packed most things tonight, food, drink, bed, blankets, power extension cord, power strip. Having second thoughts about the TV. Am I missing anything?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:40 PM   #20
falcora
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Great, I moved some things around and I'll be there about 5:00 p.m. Weather is looking good. Packed most things tonight, food, drink, bed, blankets, power extension cord, power strip. Having second thoughts about the TV. Am I missing anything?
That sounds good. As long as you are bringing those coolers as well. I bought a ton of soda cans today. I'll bring some power strips as well, and then we can just daisy chain them up the line like we did for the iPad.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:46 PM   #21
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That sounds good. As long as you are bringing those coolers as well. I bought a ton of soda cans today. I'll bring some power strips as well, and then we can just daisy chain them up the line like we did for the iPad.
Ya I got at least one big cooler for sure. I went to Costco today and bought a lot of snacks and stuff, few drinks also. I only have one power strip to bring though.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:50 AM   #22
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Just dropped by the Apple Store, three people in line not including me.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:25 PM   #23
falcora
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Just dropped by the Apple Store, three people in line not including me.
Sheesh, at 11am? I hope we aren't too far back by 6pm
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:09 PM   #24
spicydonuts
macrumors newbie

Does anyone have an idea of when the various sellers will get restocked, assuming they sell out tomorrow? From previous events I mean- I won't get out of work till tomorrow afternoon : [
spicydonuts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:22 PM   #25
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Just arrived. About fourteen people in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydonuts View Post
Does anyone have an idea of when the various sellers will get restocked, assuming they sell out tomorrow? From previous events I mean- I won't get out of work till tomorrow afternoon : [
Apple will probably get restocked every business day. Can't say anything about others.

Last edited by benhollberg; Sep 20, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
benhollberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups