Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andresorozco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
i have a macbook pro early 2011, and a dell u2412m attached via mini display port to display port. monitor works fine, but, the monitor's all 4 usb don't work at all, no idea why. monitor comes with a cd for drivers but that's just for windows, seems there's no osx drivers, or apps, nothing. so i wonder, maybe is the display port? should i use dvi? or all usb are dead.. any ideas? help?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Have you plugged an A-B USB cable from your laptop into the monitor?

I have the same monitor and USB works perfectly fine with both an MBA and MBP so I am guessing this could be the place to start troubleshooting.

andresorozco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Have you plugged an A-B USB cable from your laptop into the monitor?

no, i didn't even know i had to plug an extra cable. but isn't that cable purpose for printers and similar devices? my macbook only has 3 usb ports, 1 firewire and 1 display port so.. what am i missing?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
no, i didn't even know i had to plug an extra cable. but isn't that cable purpose for printers and similar devices? my macbook only has 3 usb ports, 1 firewire and 1 display port so.. what am i missing?

Display port is just for the video. The USB ports are like any other hub and need to be plugged into your Mac's USB.

Huh?

Get a cable like this. The one on the left goes into your PC, the one on the right goes into the monitor.

It should have come with that cable.

jimmy83

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Ive just got one of these monitors second hand which runs off my Mac Mini but USB ports arent working. Do I need to connect a USB lead from the Mini to the monitor to enable the USB ports to work? Do I need a cable like the one below?

Huh?

Get a cable like this. The one on the left goes into your PC, the one on the right goes into the monitor.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.