Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garrett.rb3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Im looking to get a new mac and cant figure this out...

simply, i want a quad i7 and a 500gb solid state drive.
(my thing is audio and i dont care much about the hi res screen :/)

with those 2 components, the retina model is 2800 and the non retina is 3100

any reasoning for this, or suggestions about what i should go for?

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Don't buy MBPr yet. There is a significant problem with display from LG. It is highly chance that you will get defected display 7 to 3 from total out of 10. LG displays have Image retention issue right out of the box or it will be developed later after using it 1-2 months. you will go through buying and returning cycle like most of us do until you get a Sammy display that has 0 IR.
Think about it.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19539972?ac_cid=tw123456#19539972

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
you can always buy a Samsung SSD 830 512 for almost half the price of what Apple charges and as said above the rMBP is rev A so you pay for the privilege of testing the new machine for Apple basically.
go for a the 15" i7 2.6 GHZ. buy 16 gb of Ram and a 512 SSD. and you're god to go

Handsome Bacon

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
$350 for 512GB SSD drives right now. Why on earth would anyone buy Apple's overpriced option?

Give the rMBP another year before jumping in. Read the first 3 or 4 pages of this forum - lots of problems apparently. BTW I swear I saw a video over at OWC showing the SSD being replaceable now. Cool...but give it another year.

I am a music professional. I chose against the rMBP simply because I need something with a ton of memory and a lot of storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.