iPod Nano 7th Gen looks like the Lumia 900

Apple sues Samsung over a copied design. Then does this to Nokia:

Thoughts?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Also looks a lot like the previous nanos and minis:

Thumb resize.

Last edited by Stetrain; Sep 12, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Stetrain is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:12 PM   #3
ftaok
macrumors 601

I agree with stetrain. When the Lumia 900 came out, I thought it looked a lot like a nano2G. Unfortuately, the Lumia is made of plastic, not anodized aluminum.

The nano7G is just design iteration of the nano2G, nano6G and the iPod mini.

ADDED - also, the nano and the Lumia are not similar devices. One is an mp3 player and the other is a smartphone.

ADDED 2 - there was a prototype iPhone that had the ipod mini type shell with a full length touchscreen and a home button. That prototype would be what the nano7G most looks like.

Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Oohara
macrumors 6502a

Lol ok I'll go ahead and repost mine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohara View Post
Sigh. Ok, which one of these was released in 2010 and which one in 2011?

Oohara is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:50 PM   #5
MyDesktopBroke
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetrain View Post
Thumb resize.
Two things I dislike about the new Nano:

1) the colors are strangely muted. Compare them to above and hopefully you'll see what I mean. The old color pallet just seems to pop out and catches the eye. These off-pastels just don't do it.

2) the off-brand circular UI - why? What was the point of differentiating from the full iOS? Even the old nanos had an approximation of the iOS chicklet icons.
MyDesktopBroke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDesktopBroke View Post

1) the colors are strangely muted. Compare them to above and hopefully you'll see what I mean. The old color pallet just seems to pop out and catches the eye. These off-pastels just don't do it.

2) the off-brand circular UI - why? What was the point of differentiating from the full iOS? Even the old nanos had an approximation of the iOS chicklet icons.
I think that with the taller screen and home button it would be much more likely for consumers to think that it really was a full iOS device, so they tried to make it obvious that it was distinct from iOS despite the other similarities.

I agree though that it looks kind of weird.
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:41 PM   #7
Hexiii
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the new nano looks terrible... and the colors are even worse...
Hexiii is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:12 AM   #8
matrix07
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnow View Post
Apple sues Samsung over a copied design. Then does this to Nokia:

Thoughts?
You meant to say Lumia looks a lot like previous iPod nano?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDesktopBroke View Post

Agree. I would buy the old nano instead. Color is bad. White bezel looks bad. And the circular icon looks bad.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:44 AM   #9
MH01
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetrain View Post
Also looks a lot like the previous nanos and minis:
Sure, but it looks a hell of a lot more similar to the Lumina 900 then any previous ipod.

Even if you put two previous nanos together it does not look as similar as it does to the Lumia 900.

And given the legal battle with the Ipad and samsung recently, for Apple to release something that looks so similar to the Lumia facepalm!

Had it just been the shape of two nanos on top of each other, cool I can handle that, with the hope button there, looks like a Lumina.

We just won a victory against samsung around design, for people to claim the nano and lumia are not very similar is just hypocritical!
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post
Sure, but it looks a hell of a lot more similar to the Lumina 900 then any previous ipod.

Even if you put two previous nanos together it does not look as similar as it does to the Lumia 900.
The flat top and bottom and rounded sides with a brushed texture dates back to the iPod Mini and second gen iPod Nano. The iPhone prototype above shows the same basic design applied to a phone, which looks a whole lot like a Lumia.

The specific design of the new nano, with the inlaid screen on that extruded body shape, is exactly the same as the previous nano, just longer:

The thing that seems really unique to me about the lumias is the way they do the curved glass and how the front of the body is contoured to meet the glass instead of being flat. The new nanos don't really do that.
Stetrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:02 AM   #11
Hexiii
macrumors 6502a

I would never think of saying that before, but the Nokia actually does look better :/
Hexiii is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:16 PM   #12
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnow View Post
Apple sues Samsung over a copied design. Then does this to Nokia
Thoughts?
If anything Nokia took equal parts of the 5th and 6th generation Nano designs to create the Lumia and as pointed out the new Nano is just a longer version of the previous one. Lumia does look nicer though.

MacBook Pro Retina 13" iPhone 5s iPad mini Retina Chromebook Pixel Nexus 7
1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:43 PM   #13
hayden1250
macrumors member

The Nano looks like a cheap plastic music player you get from the clearance bin. It reminds me of something Sanyo would make. Yuck.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:54 PM   #14
Junaid96
macrumors newbie

Junaid96 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:56 PM   #15
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:

And given the legal battle with the Ipad and samsung recently, for Apple to release something that looks so similar to the Lumia facepalm!

Had it just been the shape of two nanos on top of each other, cool I can handle that, with the hope button there, looks like a Lumina.

We just won a victory against samsung around design, for people to claim the nano and lumia are not very similar is just hypocritical!
Come on, we all have eyes. This is silly. The new nano looks like the old nanos and minis. So does the lumina. This is sesame street stuff.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:18 AM   #16
MoonlightSonata
macrumors newbie

I think the new nano looks pretty nice
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:45 AM   #17
MH01
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSee View Post
Come on, we all have eyes. This is silly. The new nano looks like the old nanos and minis. So does the lumina. This is sesame street stuff.
Are you saying that apple invented the rectangular shape?

Yes we all have eyes, but some of use choose to have selective vision.

And yes spot on sesame street stuff, you looking at if from the point of view that apple invented and patented the rectangle..... To me the current lumina and nano look very similar, and I have owned every generation of nanos, and fail to see the resemblance to the lumina.

If anything both the lumina and nano look closer to the Zune HD.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junaid96 View Post
Lol.... Someone needs to photoshop that image to make the white plastic on the nano black to illustrate how much of a blatant lazy ripoff it is.

After the whole Samsung legal battle, why on earth would you go and launch this nano, is apple really that arrogant???
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:47 AM   #18
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Lol.... Someone needs to photoshop that image to make the white plastic on the nano black to illustrate how much of a blatant lazy ripoff it is.

After the whole Samsung legal battle, why on earth would you go and launch this nano, is apple really that arrogant???
It's not a copy though. Both companies approached that design through a clear evolution of their products. Nokia would have no case against Apple (just as Apple would have no case against Nokia, should they try to sue).
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:46 AM   #19
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

But surely.....

So the Nano looks like a Lumia 900, but surely the Lumia 900 looked like a Lumia 800, which even more surely looked like a Nokia N9 ?????

L 900 a copy of L 800 a copy of Nokia N9

all of which surely are being recycled in 2012 into

So Nokia N9 released 2011, yet surely Nano's with similar look back to 2009.....

Mmmm i'm surely not convinced, surely i'm not........

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Sep 17, 2012 at 05:52 AM.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod