Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:15 AM   #26
tmoney468
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBradG View Post
This only works for existing lines. Any new lines of service will force a change to a shared plan.
Ah, I see, stupid me. thanks for the clarification!
tmoney468 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:17 AM   #27
Mortalias
macrumors 6502

Awesome, this is what I was looking to do.

We've got 2 dumb phones on our plan and mine is the one with unlimited data (iPhone 4). Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, I will upgrade one of the dumb phone lines (it's eligible) to iPhone 5, then switch it over to my line, and then reactivate the previous dumb phone BACK on the dumb phone line?

My real question is, how will this work with preordering? I am increasingly impatient over this Will I just have to head back into a Verizon store on Friday the 21st and do the switching? Is it that easy?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:19 AM   #28
myworld2008
macrumors regular

MY Chat with VZW support.

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with 'Shelly'
Shelly: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: hi i have some question about upgrading the lines on my account
Shelly: I'd be happy to assist you.
You: question one: if i order iPhone 5 on line 1 and 2
(which are non smartphone right now) then once i get the iphones can i change those iphone to other two lines (which has unlimited data rightnow)?
Shelly: Yes you can activate the phones on other lines.
You: so i upgrade line 1 and line 2(non smartphone) to iphone 5 and when i get phone i will put those new iphone on line 3 and 4 lines (current smartphone with unlimited data).
You: so the unlimited plan which i have on line 3 and 4 .. can i still keep that on new iphone 5s?
Shelly: Yes
Shelly: Long as you not upgrading the lines with the unlimited data on it, you will keep the plan on the account.
You: and can i remove the data plans after i activate non smart phone on upgraded lines
Shelly: Correct, long as you placing basic phones on that line.
You: ok so here is what i CAN do: just to make sure: I will order upgrade on line 1 and 2 lines with data plan 2gb each. then i will change new phone to other two lines with unlimited data right now and i will activate non smart phone again on line 1 and 2 and than i will remove the 2 gb data from this two upgraded line. All this is possible and i will keep unlimted data on NON upgraded line with iphone 5?
Shelly: Correct
You: ok thanks for your help.
myworld2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:20 AM   #29
SipperyPete
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalias View Post
Awesome, this is what I was looking to do.

We've got 2 dumb phones on our plan and mine is the one with unlimited data (iPhone 4). Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, I will upgrade one of the dumb phone lines (it's eligible) to iPhone 5, then switch it over to my line, and then reactivate the previous dumb phone BACK on the dumb phone line?

My real question is, how will this work with preordering? I am increasingly impatient over this Will I just have to head back into a Verizon store on Friday the 21st and do the switching? Is it that easy?
This should all work in theory and I confirmed with Apple support that you can order the new 5 using the dumb phone's number and then call VZW when you receive the phone to activate it on your line. My only question is whether or not you'll be STUCK with a data plan on the dumb phone since you just renewed the contract for 2 years....anyone know??

Cheers!
SipperyPete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:23 AM   #30
myworld2008
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipperyPete View Post
This should all work in theory and I confirmed with Apple support that you can order the new 5 using the dumb phone's number and then call VZW when you receive the phone to activate it on your line. My only question is whether or not you'll be STUCK with a data plan on the dumb phone since you just renewed the contract for 2 years....anyone know??

Cheers!
you can just remove the data plan once you reactive dumb phones. read my above phone with VZW chat support
myworld2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:23 AM   #31
Mortalias
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Cheers!
That's what I'm afraid of as well! However, I'm sure on that same phone call you can tell them to drop the data plan, which they will not fight since it's not necessary on the dumb phone.

It's a hard life for us Apple fans (Not too hard, though )
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:23 AM   #32
infinity12402
macrumors member

Quote:

Cheers!
you just tell them to cancel the data plan on the dumb phone line. not like it can use it anyway
infinity12402 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:23 AM   #33
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

Quote:

Cheers!
No, as long as you place a dumb phone back on that line you're free to cancel the data at anytime.
CoolBradG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:32 AM   #34
SipperyPete
macrumors member

Quote:
No, as long as you place a dumb phone back on that line you're free to cancel the data at anytime.
Good enough! Even if they give me any trouble, I'm always up for a good fight with a carrier!

Cheers!
SipperyPete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:38 AM   #35
doubleaa
macrumors regular

So let me get this straight... I currently have two iPhone 4s with unlimited data plans. Both are eligible for upgrades. If I order two new iPhone 5s I automatically get converted to a 2 GB per month data plan and lose the unlimited?
doubleaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:40 AM   #36
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleaa View Post
So let me get this straight... I currently have two iPhone 4s with unlimited data plans. Both are eligible for upgrades. If I order two new iPhone 5s I automatically get converted to a 2 GB per month data plan and lose the unlimited?
Yes unfortunately.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:40 AM   #37
ROLLTIDE1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleaa View Post
correct unless you pay $650
+ each
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:48 AM   #38
doubleaa
macrumors regular

That sucks. I do have a dumb phone on my account right now but it's not eligible for upgrade for another month. If I transfer an upgrade to that dumb phone I'll be stuck with it for another two years because the contract renews. I'm planning to drop the dumb phone off my account when the contract is up in a few months. It's not worth $240 + taxes the dumb phone costs to keep the unlimited plan in my opinion.

Last edited by doubleaa; Sep 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
doubleaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:55 AM   #39
halfmonkey
macrumors regular

So if I follow through with this loophole, do I get all of the benefits of the iphone 5?

In other words, do I get 4g/LTE or will the iphone be operating on 3g? Also, will I get the free hotspot? I ask these questions because on the new data plans 4g/LTE and free hot spot are part of the plans. Under VZ's old system, if you wanted 4g/LTE or a hotspot, you had to pay for it and so since this loophole allows you to get a 4g/LTE capable phone, will it operate with 4g/LTE and a hotspot since you're basically tricking the system or will it still be using 3g with no hotspot?
halfmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:00 AM   #40
HeyGreggie
macrumors 6502a

Quick Notes I took on a call from a rep.

They will try to move you over to a FAMILY SHARE plan. Which the basic phone will be $40.00 a month just for a dumb phone.

So with an iphone and an extra line would be $150 + 30 + 10 (iphone insurance) totalling $190

WTF?
HeyGreggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:05 AM   #41
DaveHuck
macrumors newbie

OK, so if someone can help me, that would be super.

Currently have iPhone 4 with grandfathered unlimited data (upgrade eligible 10/10/12). 4 other lines for family are dumb phones (all eligible for upgrade). 2 daughters want iPhone 4 (on two of the dumb phone lines), while I want iPhone 5 (wife and son will keep dumb phones). Would need to upgrade daughters lines to smartphones (sounds like iPhone 4's would be free with contract) with data and keep mine on unlimited (purchase one additional iPhone 4, with other daughter getting my current iPhone 4). Verizon is pushing me to Shared Family Plan (4GB shared) at $250/month with those upgrades (currently $135/month before taxes). Too many freakin' options. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!
DaveHuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:07 AM   #42
KeanBurke
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
So if I follow through with this loophole, do I get all of the benefits of the iphone 5?

In other words, do I get 4g/LTE or will the iphone be operating on 3g? Also, will I get the free hotspot? I ask these questions because on the new data plans 4g/LTE and free hot spot are part of the plans. Under VZ's old system, if you wanted 4g/LTE or a hotspot, you had to pay for it and so since this loophole allows you to get a 4g/LTE capable phone, will it operate with 4g/LTE and a hotspot since you're basically tricking the system or will it still be using 3g with no hotspot?
Good question. Does anybody have the answer for this?
KeanBurke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:21 AM   #43
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyGreggie View Post
Quick Notes I took on a call from a rep.

They will try to move you over to a FAMILY SHARE plan. Which the basic phone will be $40.00 a month just for a dumb phone.

So with an iphone and an extra line would be $150 + 30 + 10 (iphone insurance) totalling $190

WTF?
I've said this repeatedly already. If you add a line, your whole plan will be forced over to a shared data plan. This loophole is only for grandfathered plans with multiple lines.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:31 AM   #44
tigerfan41
macrumors regular

OK, I have a question (and forgive me if it's already been answered):

I currently have unlimited data on my line and an upgrade available on that same line. Unless I'm understanding things wrong, couldn't I transfer this upgrade to another line on my account, get the 5 on that line, then bring the 5 over to my line and keep unlimited data? Also, is this going to trigger a bunch of line upgrade fees?
tigerfan41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:37 AM   #45
jmo1116
macrumors regular

So what you're telling me is this: I have a family plan with 4 smartphones and 1 dumb phone. I have one upgrade available (a smartphone). I can transfer the available upgrade to the dumb phone, upgrade to iPhone 5, and then add a data plan to that line, then transfer the iPhone 5 to one of the smartphone lines and keep unlimited data that I had before?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:37 AM   #46
HeyGreggie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I've said this repeatedly already. If you add a line, your whole plan will be forced over to a shared data plan. This loophole is only for grandfathered plans with multiple lines.
Ah... THATS what it is... I have my own line on this account so pretty much at this point it's pay the phone full price, or add a $40 line to my current account. That BLOWWWWWS

What happened to the Nationwide Talk & Text plans?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:40 AM   #47
aeronauticsrock
macrumors member

Quote:
This is a major bummer. I thought I would be able to add lines for the 5 (at 2GB/$30) switch them to dumb phones, and move the 5s over to my unlimited lines.

Dang. Looks like you're screwed if you don't already have dummy lines.
aeronauticsrock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:41 AM   #48
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyGreggie View Post
Ah... THATS what it is... I have my own line on this account so pretty much at this point it's pay the phone full price, or add a $40 line to my current account. That BLOWWWWWS

What happened to the Nationwide Talk & Text plans?
So HeyGreggie it sounds like we are left out of this loophole.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:46 AM   #49
HeyGreggie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
So HeyGreggie it sounds like we are left out of this loophole.
I would have to agree. Because only phone plans outside of prepaid is the share everything, and you'll lose unlimited data that way. Gotta come out of pocket with $449 AND stand in line [charge $400 to Verizon account].

I was thinking.. cool. I can add a line, but keep my data. Verizon are crooks
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:55 AM   #50
gman3042
macrumors newbie

how would this work if its a family plan with 5 smartphones on it that has unlimited data? could i switch the smartphone out for a dumbphone, and then do this activation that way?
gman3042 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone