Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:37 PM   #101
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincredible View Post
I activated the phone with Cricket in the US already and I brought it to the UK. That's when it didn't work and kept saying "Searching..." when I put in the Vodafone UK SIM card.

I then restored the phone and went through the setup and activation process. That's when I experienced the same issues.

Will be going to Vodafone and check with them. Will also try other networks here.

Last resort, I will be taking it to my Apple store for them to diagnose it.
Any news?
ouchyoung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:22 AM   #102
kevincredible
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchyoung View Post
Any news?
I've tried an O2 SIM and that doesn't work either. Vodafone don't seem to be very helpful as they recommended that I speak to Cricket or Apple.

I have an appointment with Apple this Friday. Can't get any sooner appointments.
kevincredible is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:04 AM   #103
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:
I've tried an O2 SIM and that doesn't work either. Vodafone don't seem to be very helpful as they recommended that I speak to Cricket or Apple.

I have an appointment with Apple this Friday. Can't get any sooner appointments.
thanks man! Hope s miracle will come that day!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:36 AM   #104
kevincredible
macrumors newbie

Quote:
thanks man! Hope s miracle will come that day!
What is Cricket's stance on this? Can you try calling them and asking what the specific process is in order to use an international GSM network?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:26 AM   #105
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:
What is Cricket's stance on this? Can you try calling them and asking what the specific process is in order to use an international GSM network?
I called them and was told that the iPhone 5 is not supposed to work overseas. I said that I was told I can use it outside US because it's international unlocked, then the representative told me that I need to go to a local carrier for unlocking the device. I was confused with that how can another carrier unlock a device from Cricket... And I asked this question, this time the CSR told me that I need to go to a Cricket store close to me, to see whether they can flash the device to unlock it. Ha... I took this answer as a shifting off manner... Called the local store, they said they don't know how to cope with this. Apparently, the Cricket hasn't trained their representatives yet!

I also called the sells again, pretending to be a new customer for asking whether I can use it internationally, and this time I was told I cannot use it unless they have signed an international roaming agreement with local carrier there, and it means the only country I can roam to is Canada, maybe Mexico!

BTW, where did you activated the device? I know you activated it in the US, I meant was the city the one Cricket is selling iPhone? So that I can figure out whether this phone would roam on other networks inside US, as the representatives also told me that the usage is not guaranteed inside US when it's not working on their own networks.

Update: Wired! I called the sells team again and asked the representative for transferring me to customer service, she asked me what did I want and I told her the problem you encountered, this time this representative told me that this phone is supposed to work outside the US as it's international unlocked...

Last edited by ouchyoung; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:38 PM   #106
narendemon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I activated the phone with Cricket in the US already and I brought it to the UK. That's when it didn't work and kept saying "Searching..." when I put in the Vodafone UK SIM card.

I then restored the phone and went through the setup and activation process. That's when I experienced the same issues.

Will be going to Vodafone and check with them. Will also try other networks here.

Last resort, I will be taking it to my Apple store for them to diagnose it.
Kevincredible.... any luck ??
narendemon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:52 PM   #107
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendemon View Post
Kevincredible.... any luck ??
We have to wait for Friday
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:48 AM   #108
kevincredible
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I called them and was told that the iPhone 5 is not supposed to work overseas. I said that I was told I can use it outside US because it's international unlocked, then the representative told me that I need to go to a local carrier for unlocking the device. I was confused with that how can another carrier unlock a device from Cricket... And I asked this question, this time the CSR told me that I need to go to a Cricket store close to me, to see whether they can flash the device to unlock it. Ha... I took this answer as a shifting off manner... Called the local store, they said they don't know how to cope with this. Apparently, the Cricket hasn't trained their representatives yet!

I also called the sells again, pretending to be a new customer for asking whether I can use it internationally, and this time I was told I cannot use it unless they have signed an international roaming agreement with local carrier there, and it means the only country I can roam to is Canada, maybe Mexico!

BTW, where did you activated the device? I know you activated it in the US, I meant was the city the one Cricket is selling iPhone? So that I can figure out whether this phone would roam on other networks inside US, as the representatives also told me that the usage is not guaranteed inside US when it's not working on their own networks.

Update: Wired! I called the sells team again and asked the representative for transferring me to customer service, she asked me what did I want and I told her the problem you encountered, this time this representative told me that this phone is supposed to work outside the US as it's international unlocked...
Thanks for this. Seems like the Indian call centers for Cricket don't have a clue. Neither do the folks working in the Cricket stores. The inconsistent answers and poor customer service.

I activated my phone in Tennessee. I happened to put in the UK Vodafone SIM at the time and it too said "Searching...". The Cricket support team told me that it would work when I go outside the US. Surely not.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:57 AM   #109
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:
Thanks for this. Seems like the Indian call centers for Cricket don't have a clue. Neither do the folks working in the Cricket stores. The inconsistent answers and poor customer service.

I activated my phone in Tennessee. I happened to put in the UK Vodafone SIM at the time and it too said "Searching...". The Cricket support team told me that it would work when I go outside the US. Surely not.
Hmm... Things go to complicated... No refusing SIM report nor signal connected, and won't get resolved by replacing another SIM...

Thank you for letting me know the activating information. Hope there would be a miracle in the Apple store tomorrow...

Last edited by ouchyoung; Oct 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:33 PM   #110
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:
Bad news for you guys... Another guy took this phone to China for testing and it won't work on Chinamobile network (GSM), same situation as yours, can read information from the card but no signal
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:25 AM   #111
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:

How's your journey to Apple Store?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:10 AM   #112
igor21
macrumors newbie

try this

Try to do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tATp_tbQ4k
igor21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:01 AM   #113
kevincredible
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Bad news for you guys... Another guy took this phone to China for testing and it won't work on Chinamobile network (GSM), same situation as yours, can read information from the card but no signal
I won't be able to make the appointment this evening due to work commitments. I do have another appointment scheduled tomorrow so I'll meet with the Apple guys tomorrow. I did also speak to one of these independent shops that unlock phones and he said they would be able to flash the phone so it would work again. I may try that if Apple tell me to go back to Cricket.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:29 AM   #114
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:
I won't be able to make the appointment this evening due to work commitments. I do have another appointment scheduled tomorrow so I'll meet with the Apple guys tomorrow. I did also speak to one of these independent shops that unlock phones and he said they would be able to flash the phone so it would work again. I may try that if Apple tell me to go back to Cricket.
Hmm...Then I will return this device today. It's not worth of doing a flash
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:24 PM   #115
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:
How does the Apple Guy say?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:15 AM   #116
igor21
macrumors newbie

There is a solution to the problem.
Go to setting - general - cellular
Set all settings to off
Then you can choose your locar carrier manually.
After that, turn back all settings.
Its should work.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:29 PM   #117
kevincredible
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor21 View Post
There is a solution to the problem.
Go to setting - general - cellular
Set all settings to off
Then you can choose your locar carrier manually.
After that, turn back all settings.
Its should work.
Settings > General. There is no option which says "Cellular"?

There is a Carrier option right under Settings. When I try to set the Automatic off it'll search for a bit but then it says "Unable to load network list". Have you got a Cricket iPhone 5 that you tried this on?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:55 PM   #118
RT123
macrumors newbie

Hi,

Do a restore in Itunes after that Try to disable all cellular switching in settiing>network>
and then try to serch manual for provaider

hope it will work for you
RT123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:11 PM   #119
kevincredible
macrumors newbie

Quote:
How does the Apple Guy say?
I spoke to the Apple Store. They checked on the Global system and my phone is not locked to a GSM carrier. I questioned why it kept saying searching in the carrier but all they could recommend was to replace my phone. So they were going through the process but it didn't go through because they did not have replacement CDMA phones. They suggested I speak to Apple Care in the US to have it replaced. So I spoke to Apple Care in the US and they said they would replace the phone but they can only send it to a US address.

So may have to go through the flashing route. Cricket are a bunch of incompetent idiots who offer poor service and no one should ever do business with them.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:41 PM   #120
igor21
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Settings > General. There is no option which says "Cellular"?

There is a Carrier option right under Settings. When I try to set the Automatic off it'll search for a bit but then it says "Unable to load network list". Have you got a Cricket iPhone 5 that you tried this on?
Sorry - cellular is network.

Someone who have it, told me to do it.
He had the same problem.
after restore, and the procedure above, it began to work.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:12 PM   #121
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:
I spoke to the Apple Store. They checked on the Global system and my phone is not locked to a GSM carrier. I questioned why it kept saying searching in the carrier but all they could recommend was to replace my phone. So they were going through the process but it didn't go through because they did not have replacement CDMA phones. They suggested I speak to Apple Care in the US to have it replaced. So I spoke to Apple Care in the US and they said they would replace the phone but they can only send it to a US address.

So may have to go through the flashing route. Cricket are a bunch of incompetent idiots who offer poor service and no one should ever do business with them.
Have you tried the method as the guy below your post mentioned?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:16 AM   #122
kevincredible
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Have you tried the method as the guy below your post mentioned?
Yes with no luck. In fact I don't have this option in my iPhone 5 Settings>general>network. I've been trying to change the network manually but it fails.

Not sure if this is a problem with just my iPhone or everyone elses.

Anyone else having problems where putting in a GSM SIM card results in continuously "Searching..." for the carrier in a Cricket iPhone 5?

Last edited by kevincredible; Oct 17, 2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Typo
kevincredible is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:36 AM   #123
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:
Yes with no luck. In fact I don't have this option in my iPhone 5 Settings>general>network. I've been trying to change the network manually but it fails.

Anyone else having problems where putting in a GSM SIM card results in continuously "Searching..." for the carrier in a Cricket iPhone 5?
Oh... Sorry to hear that...

Another guy tried this iPhone in China and encountered the same problem there... Replacing the card wouldn't work now :-(

But it's weird that since apple can check it out that this phone is gsm unlocked, why wouldn't it work on gsm band?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:33 PM   #124
sirernest
macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with a Cricket iPhone 5 in Warsaw last week. It failed to load the operator list and just searched for service. I was able to see that the phone read the carrier information from the SIM as well as showed the network option. The network option is normally hidden until the iPhone detects it is outside of Cricket's licensed area or alternatively the United States.

I wasn't able to test the iPhone 5 from Cricket exactly. The unit I tested was a warranty replacement from Apple configured for Cricket on the off chance this impacted the test in any way.
sirernest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:22 AM   #125
ouchyoung
macrumors member

Quote:

And I am wondering how can you get it flashed? Since the jailbreak is still such a long way...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion