Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: iPhone5 Verizon or AT&T?
Verizon 157 40.99%
AT&T 226 59.01%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:06 AM   #26
i-John
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Help me here. AT&T is limiting FaceTime to only those on family plans. Their LTE coverage is not available here in Portland yet so I'm considering switching my wife and I to Verizon and to a family plane even though I'd lose my unlimited contract. I don't use enough data to justify it - maybe together we use 2-3gb if you include an iPad.

If we switch to Verizon what happens if we want to FaceTime with someone on AT&T that isn't on wifi or on a family plan? FaceTime is really important now that we have kids so it's a consideration and frankly I'm tired of AT&T.

Also, will Verizon be able to do voice and data now at the same time on the new phone?

Anyone?

G
FaceTime over cellular requires a plan change on AT&T, to one of the mobile sharing plans. FaceTime over WiFi can still be used.

I don't see the big deal with FaceTime being a deal breaker, seeing as there are numerous apps out there that do the same thing (Skype).

Verizon will not be able to do voice and data at the same time, which will always be a deal breaker for me. I guess you can get an app for that too (Skype).

I just guess what's most important to you. Me, it's cost, my unlimited plan and voice and data together.
i-John is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:21 AM   #27
unethical
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyn View Post
Been on AT&T forever, but moved out of state last yr and the coverage is not great here, so going with Verizon.

Really think the answer to this question highly depends on where you live as I don't really feel like one is better than the other overall..
Thanks. I'm in Los Angeles. I guess I'm going to stick with AT&T for tonight's order. I can get the verizon as well and just sell it and dump the account, or decide in a month or two.

I'll likely stick with AT&T. I'm sure 4G LTE will hit LA eventually.
unethical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:34 AM   #28
christyn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by unethical View Post
Thanks. I'm in Los Angeles. I guess I'm going to stick with AT&T for tonight's order. I can get the verizon as well and just sell it and dump the account, or decide in a month or two.

I'll likely stick with AT&T. I'm sure 4G LTE will hit LA eventually.
I know it's supposed to hit here in salt lake by the end of the year, I would guess LA is likely getting it before 2013 as well.
christyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:47 AM   #29
Dkorda
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Help me here. AT&T is limiting FaceTime to only those on family plans. Their LTE coverage is not available here in Portland yet so I'm considering switching my wife and I to Verizon and to a family plane even though I'd lose my unlimited contract. I don't use enough data to justify it - maybe together we use 2-3gb if you include an iPad.

If we switch to Verizon what happens if we want to FaceTime with someone on AT&T that isn't on wifi or on a family plan? FaceTime is really important now that we have kids so it's a consideration and frankly I'm tired of AT&T.

Also, will Verizon be able to do voice and data now at the same time on the new phone?

Anyone?
G
The greater Portland area has awesome Verizon LTE coverage. My VZN LTE Air card works killer in that area. AT&T will have LTE in PDX by the end of 2012, so they say. I still get a lot of Edge in OR outside the major cities with my iPad. At the same time Verizon is solid 3G or LTE. If your only using 2-4 gigs a month, VZN is the choice for you.

Good luck.
Dkorda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:04 AM   #30
BFizzzle
Banned

switched from ATT to VZW. Tired of ATTs bs. Even if it costs me more.
I still have my LTE ipad with ATT so itll be nice to have bother services.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:00 AM   #31
sakurama
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkorda View Post
The greater Portland area has awesome Verizon LTE coverage. My VZN LTE Air card works killer in that area. AT&T will have LTE in PDX by the end of 2012, so they say. I still get a lot of Edge in OR outside the major cities with my iPad. At the same time Verizon is solid 3G or LTE. If your only using 2-4 gigs a month, VZN is the choice for you.

Good luck.
Thanks - I think that sealed it for me. Unfortunately Apple won't let me order the phone. I get to the final page and it says that Verizon won't let me set up an account unless I pay a deposit. Behind that I can see the options for shipping which mention having to go to an Apple store to pay the deposit but when I click okay my cart empties and kicks me back to the start. Frustrating.

It's also not clear how you can preorder if you want to change two separate accounts on AT&T over to one shared account on Verizon. It will be a drag to have to wait if I have to do this in person but I think it will be worth it to change from AT&T over to Verizon. It's time for a change.

Thanks,

Gregor
sakurama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:04 AM   #32
Resist
macrumors 68030

I think the main reason I'm staying it AT&T is for roll over minutes. It's a huge plus.

As I'm trying to pre-order my iPhone 5 from AT&T I noticed that it's not giving me the option to keep my $5 a month 200 text plan. Yet I can keep my unlimited data plan for $30 a month. Is the 200 text plan not grandfathered in anymore?
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:06 AM   #33
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

At&t because it works for me. Plus i'm on a family plan
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:08 AM   #34
wicker21
macrumors member

Went with AT&T for the following reasons:

1 - Lowest service cost. 450/min, 300mb no text. Use Google Voice and have WiFi at 99% of the places where I spend my time.

2 - FAN Discount

3 - Best coverage for where I live

4 - Can talk and use data at the same time
wicker21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:11 AM   #35
MacChinoNyc
macrumors 6502

At&t versions have higher resale value. Check gazelle dot com
MacChinoNyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:16 AM   #36
nyjets
macrumors member

I have a question...I'm on verizon and have a 2GB data plan and was wondering if using LTE rather than 3G will make my data go up more. If so, I won't be able to use it too much.
nyjets is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:26 AM   #37
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
With the rollout of the iPhone 5 there are a lot of people who are undecided wether to stay with ATT or switch to Verizon. Please feel free to voice your opinions on which carrier is more reliable given the specs of the new iPhone.

(I'm aware that everyone's situation/area is different for coverage but this will give people a solid feel on who they think is better overall)

Edit: Sorry Sprint is not included because verizon and att are more comparable price wise.
Staying with AT&T -
  • Voice&Data at the same time
    Can keep unlimited data for $30
    lower overall plan cost
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:28 AM   #38
Spyharpy
macrumors member

I renewed with AT&T as my coverage area is great and most importantly that I can use my phone while I'm talking. You can't do that with Verizon or Sprint and that's a deal breaker for me.
Spyharpy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:50 AM   #39
Resist
macrumors 68030

It seems like I'm the only AT&T user that thinks roll over minutes are a good reason to stay with AT&T.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:42 PM   #40
sakurama
macrumors newbie

So does anyone know for sure about the Verizon issue with voice and data at the same time? The GPS for instance - if you take a call does navigation stop? That could be a real problem. I've heard that the Verizon LTE doesn't have the voice data issue and I've heard it does.
sakurama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:14 PM   #41
Oakmhcky21
macrumors member

I switched from Sprint to Verizon due to this. Nothing the 5 has to help out that...lol

By the way, those are from my house where i have to go out side to answer the phone, or just randomly get new voicemails....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1350.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	357476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1351.PNG
Views:	9
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	357477  
Oakmhcky21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:17 PM   #42
iapplelove
Banned

AT&T since iPhone 3G,and i will take my 5GB of grandfathered in data thank you.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
It seems like I'm the only AT&T user that thinks roll over minutes are a good reason to stay with AT&T.
i have over 3K in rollover minutes, nice to have but i don't use em
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:19 PM   #43
CoolBradG
macrumors regular

Verizon. I have unlimited data and their coverage is far superior to AT&T's.

Only drawback for me is no voice + data over LTE.
CoolBradG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:48 PM   #44
juliebee
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkorda View Post

Good luck.
thanks for sharing your experience with Verizon in the PDX area. I'm getting my first iphone, moving from a very basic phone, and this is reassuring since I just preordered through Verizon! I'm in east county and I've heard that Verizon has better coverage on the fringe of the eastside going towards Sandy or out towards Hood River. I'm hoping it's true.
juliebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:09 PM   #45
Zepaw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Zepaw
I have had great experiences with AT&T and Verizon. I have had awful experiences with both. It comes down to your area. In mine the Verizon coverage is more reliable thus Verizon is the reasonably easy choice.
-
AT&T is winning the poll. They always do well yet I rarely hear a nice word about them. Must be a damn vocal minority.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:41 PM   #46
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
I'm aware that everyone's situation/area is different for coverage but this will give people a solid feel on who they think is better overall
Coverage is the most important factor for most in determining which carrier is better. You're confusing "popular" and "better".
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:09 AM   #47
Dkorda
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebee View Post
thanks for sharing your experience with Verizon in the PDX area. I'm getting my first iphone, moving from a very basic phone, and this is reassuring since I just preordered through Verizon! I'm in east county and I've heard that Verizon has better coverage on the fringe of the eastside going towards Sandy or out towards Hood River. I'm hoping it's true.
That drive from PDX to Hood River would be so annoying on AT&T. I promise you would drop calls left and right on AT&T. My iPad stays in EDGE outside of Troutdale all the way to Hood River. It's so annoying.

Now on the Other hand, my VZN iPhone has never dropped a call on that route, stays in 3G the entire time.

When Verizon says '3G in more areas' vs AT&T, you have no idea how true that is. This is just another classic example. Generally marketing statements are BS, but this one is actual fact.

Having solid 3G outside major metro areas is far more important that HSPA+ (fake 4G) and talk and surf functions.
Dkorda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:11 AM   #48
maflynn

I was with ATT but with the iPhone 5, I'm switching to VZW, due to coverage and a better more robust LTE network
maflynn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:12 AM   #49
rsoxtim

Was tempted to go to Verizon but kept AT&T for the following reasons:

1) Although VZ has better LTE, AT&T keeps expanding/improving it in my area so for the majority of my use, I'm covered.
2) No need to move to a more expensive share data plan with AT&T. I was able to keep my existing plan.
3) No upgrade fee charged to me by AT&T. My partner, on Verizon, had to pay one.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:13 AM   #50
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
So does anyone know for sure about the Verizon issue with voice and data at the same time? The GPS for instance - if you take a call does navigation stop? That could be a real problem. I've heard that the Verizon LTE doesn't have the voice data issue and I've heard it does.
verizon released a stated saying voice and data will not work.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone