Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
A Serious alternative to the Classic.

OK, without the fanboys exploding in righteous fury - is there a serious alternative to the iPod Classic?

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Not really in my opinion some people say cowon players but meh Im not bothered if it sounds better im listing to a portable music player (if your that bothered buy a iPod 5G) I think cowon also get better battery life but the classic does me fine. Creative used to make alternatives I had friends who had them but they were always bigger chunkier, broke easier than a iPod and they had weird button layouts which confused me so I stuck with a click wheel.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
I agree, no real alternative to the classic.
I may consider a 64GB Touch when my 80GB classic (2007) eventually bites the dust, but then again, I don't really need the Touch because I have the iPhone. I only need a pure music player to stick into my stereo at home or in the car. So either a new 160 classic or even just a battery replacement on the 80, if that would be enough to keep it going a few more years.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Thanks all.

Really, really annoying that Apple is still flogging 3 year old technology for premium prices, and every year they add features and functionality to which i place very little value.

Aren't al all asking "How difficuly is a 240GB iPod Classic"

:(

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Thanks all.

Really, really annoying that Apple is still flogging 3 year old technology for premium prices, and every year they add features and functionality to which i place very little value.

Aren't al all asking "How difficuly is a 240GB iPod Classic"

:(

I concur, if they are not going to bother upgrading it at least bring the damn price down. :D

Pguerra17

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
I concur, if they are not going to bother upgrading it at least bring the damn price down. :D

Completely agree that is the only thing keeping me from buying one $249 is too high. Now $199 seems just right lol.

x&y

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
West Midlands, England
Only thing Apple is going to do with the Classic is discontinue it. I don't know when, but they're not going to upgrade it in any way.

Why would they discontinue it?

The iPod Classic is still the best selling stand alone portable music player available on the market and they still make money from the sales of it.

Why discontinue such an iconic product that is still very successful? It just won't happen.

I feel they will keep the iPod Classic on the market for as long as possible. I don't understand why so many people seem desperate for Apple to discontinue the iPod?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Why would they discontinue it?

The iPod Classic is still the best selling stand alone portable music player available on the market and they still make money from the sales of it.

Why discontinue such an iconic product that is still very successful? It just won't happen.

I feel they will keep the iPod Classic on the market for as long as possible. I don't understand why so many people seem desperate for Apple to discontinue the iPod?

I think what NewbieCanada means is that Apple might keep it around for a while longer, but they aren't going to *improve* it, for instance by increasing the hard drive size, as someone upthread wanted.

Personally, I think the Classic will be discontinued when they introduce a 128 GB touch. And while the Classic has served me well in its time, a 128 GB touch will be so much better in both functionality and ease of use -- now that I've gotten used to multi-touch, searching for and controlling my music with the click-wheel interface drives me nuts. It's not that I particularly want the Classic to be discontinued, but I do want a 128GB touch, and I don't think those two products have reason to exist at the same time.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
The iPod touch has been stuck at 64Gb for a while now, but i will admit a 128Gb touch would be quite desirable.

Anyone remember the days when every new iPod release heralded an increase in capacity - unfortunately those days seem long gone now.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
201211902624.jpg

PRODUCT_c4.jpg

iBasso DX100 and Colorfly C4, both very affordable at ~800 bucks :D

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I use a classic for my car stereo and never take it out except for sync ups and it would be great for it to have WIFI so I could sync up without even disconnecting it. Apple just being lazy with it.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
My 08 Classic is having issues and will be replaced by the new 64GB Touch sometime early next year. My mobile entertainment wants have changed and I'd now like to have access to more "exotic" formats like OGG, MOD, and sids.

My classic currently spends most of it's days in my car.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
I also hope they never discontinue the Classic. We certainly need an iPod with big storage capacity and a click wheel. My only wish would be that they would concentrate on making the Classic the ultimate in sound quality. Then they could easily justify the current price.

I still use a 5.5G iPod because I think they sound better than both the current iPods and any of the iPhones. I have bought two backups and also retrofitted one of them with an SSD, but would easily buy a new one if they came out with a better one.

Also, I for one does not understand why Apple has abandoned the click wheel in every iPod category except the Classic. The click wheel is still genius! When I jog, I have my iPod in a belt clip, and can easily adjust volume, fast forward or rewind with one hand without removing it or looking at the display. I know you can achieve the same thing with controls on certain headphone cords, but I still prefer to do it on the iPod itself. And great sounding headphones usually don't have those controls. And if you use an adapter, it has to be placed at the other end, making it less accessible.

An interesting alternative however may be this one: http://v-moda.com/vamp/

Machentse

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Serious alternative to iPod Classic

I reluctantly find myself in the position of looking for an alternative to my iPod Classic. I need an mp3 player that will allow bi directional transfer of contents. I made the dreadful mistake of loading all my music tracks to my iPod from my PC.

Then my PC died and had to be replaced, only then did I find out that I cannot retrieve the music from my iPod in a usable format. Apple have this almost fanatical mantra of "lock the customers in" then squeeze them.

Well Apple, this is one customer that you have pushed away, your lock in has pushed me away. What is worst, is that all the music is paid for.

Please Apple purists, no insults, if you cant offer a reasonable alternative, then don;t reply.:)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I reluctantly find myself in the position of looking for an alternative to my iPod Classic. I need an mp3 player that will allow bi directional transfer of contents. I made the dreadful mistake of loading all my music tracks to my iPod from my PC.

Then my PC died and had to be replaced, only then did I find out that I cannot retrieve the music from my iPod in a usable format. Apple have this almost fanatical mantra of "lock the customers in" then squeeze them.

Well Apple, this is one customer that you have pushed away, your lock in has pushed me away. What is worst, is that all the music is paid for.

Please Apple purists, no insults, if you cant offer a reasonable alternative, then don;t reply.:)

There are ways to get your music out of an iPod classic. But first, were all your music purchased from iTunes? If so, I believe they can be redownloaded.

Eric0531

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Seattle

If you have a Windows machine, copy the contents of the iPod to a folder on a computer. install Media Monkey, and scan the folder where you copied the iPod's drive. Then use the auto-organize function to reorganize the files into folders by artist/album or whatever criteria you want.

You could alternatively drag and drop that folder into a new Itunes installation and let it organize the files.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Shoulda gone with iTunes Match ;). $25 and all your music stored away on cloud should you ever need to recover....

Also how could you not retrieve your music, on an iPod and a PC its fairly easy to recover music off an iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.