Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Per this CNet article, Toshiba announced 10gig and 20gig versions of it's 1.8" drives... the 5gig version being used in the current Apple iPod:Toshiba said it would begin shipping the 10GB drive, dubbed the MK1003GAL, in February and the 20GB unit, known as the MK2003GAH, in March. The company did not announce pricing for the new drives.

U

Unregistered

I'm not buying one until it's at least 20gig. 5 is not enough for anyone but the casual iTunes user - there's a lot of people with at least 10gigs of music, not to mention files they'd like to store on it (for backup in case of SME (sudden Mac Explosion)), and the fact that there are tons of mp3 players on the PC side that are 20gig, and one that's now 40. Without enough space, iPod's usless no matter how small, easy, cute.

U

Unregistered

useless with 5 gigs?

People will always feel more is better. But 5 gigs useless?
40 gigs is sweet: But remember the tradeoff:

* Big dang form factor (stick THAT in your pocket!)
* Still USB (watch the clock as you grow old waiting on transfer).

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
so who's gonna be the first to get a new drive and hack it into their iPod?

-Pete

20gb insane!

20 GB is just insane! If iPod comes out with a 20GB HD then all other players would be useless. If Apple can make 20GB work in the iPod then they should do it, I can see the selling point. iPod 4000 songs in your pocket. They could say it holds more data than wintel laptops ohhh ya! After we put 40Gb in iBook and TI book! Go APPLE!

700mhz Snow
100mhz Performa

jtrascap

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2001
Sign *me* up!

I will agree with the crowd here - I've been holding off on an iPod simply because 5GB isn't enough these days. I have a new iBook (well, the October edition...) and I'm looking at buying an external FireWire drive - it would be nice to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I could keep my DiVX media and MP3s in one place (well, until I get enough green to buy a new iMac with DVD-R)

20 GB is just where the sweetspot begins...

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
i just got my ipod and i have alot of songs but i only put ones i want to lisen to on the road on the ipod, so im fine with 5 gigs, i mean most mp3 players are alot smaller, but still, its small and has alot of space, but new ipods will come out, low model will be 5gigs at about $200,10gigs will be medium model at $400, and 20gigs will be $600. So thats what i think, but still ill just switch the hard drives around and save money, or wait for a better ipod

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
New iPodsibilities..

20 GB iPod by March? That'd be sweet!.. Hopefully they will upgrade the bus and Firewire on both the new Macs and a new version of the iPod to handle FireWire II by then.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
hacking iPods

Originally posted by ptrauber
so who's gonna be the first to get a new drive and hack it into their iPod?

-Pete

actually I think someone already has hacked their iPod....wasn't it on that iPod hack site....does someone have the address?

Tomasz

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
Berkeley, California
I hope these new drives are actually used....

Now if the price is kept reasonably the same, and a 10 or even the 20GB version is put in the iPod.... those people that think the jukebox is better will have nothing left to say. This would stop all the talk of how the amount of money people spend on the iPod is unreasonable.

Now if only it came free with every tower purchase:)

Tomasz

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
dang it :( i just placed a bid on an ipod on ebay and now i'm hoping someone out bids me does anyone really think they would update the ipod so soon after introduction? what is their usual timeframe for updates on new products?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by davidc2182
dang it :( i just placed a bid on an ipod on ebay and now i'm hoping someone out bids me does anyone really think they would update the ipod so soon after introduction? what is their usual timeframe for updates on new products?

I doubt Apple will update it so soon... besides the pricing for the 10gig and 20gig drives will likely be greater than the 5 gig ( which retails for $399 itself )

arn

JoeCanadian

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2002
Additional iPod feature

Am I the only one who wishes the iPod had an FM tuner? No matter how many mp3's I have, sometimes I wish I could tune in a local FM station when I travel for news or local events. An iPod with FM tuner and 20gig drive would rock!

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Yeah sure you would

Give me a break. Right now I'm in a hotel room in New Orleans, with my trusty iPod plugged into an outlet and a pair of Advent computer speakers plugged into the headphone jack and let me tell you all that 5GB of hard disk space is plenty. I'm on the road on average 2 - 3 weeks a month and my iPod has been a God send. Normally I would pack about 10 cds (from my collection of well over 1,000)and rely on my laptops (not a Mac) crappy sound. Before I left to leave on Tuesday, I ripped about twenty new cd's on to my G4, created a new song list for my iPod (I have to do this because I have well over 5GB of songs on my Mac) and then sync'd it up with my iPod. End result I have 1250 songs on my iPod for this trip. I've been listening to it on shuffle since I left and I haven't heard the same song twice. Do I need a bigger hard drive. No. Do you? I doubt it. Sure if down the road I could swap in a new hard drive for like $100.00 I would, but 5GB is more than enough.

Anyway I'm willing to be that most people who claim that they would buy an iPod if it had a larger disk drive are going to be the same people who say that the iPod needs a cache larger than twenty minutes. In other words these are the people who will never buy one.

One thing to note: I've discovered that iPod is a babe magnet. No ****. This is my second trip I've taking the trusty iPod and I've had more woman walk up to me and ask me all about it. I would like to think that I'm the draw in, but it's really the iPod. How weird is that.

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
its too soon also. its nice to think up products taht are amazing but then you have to relize that with this economy and tech stock problems, the updating an mp3 player so soon is not a good idea, also would apple like to piss of 125,000+ people, i think not, they cant make a slip up cause it could screw them over, also it just came out like 3 months ago, it would be atleast next christmas before 10 gigs is the top model. Also, the price on the 5 gig hard drive is as much as the ipod, so the 10 and 20 gig would be the price as the drive or more, with the updated hd size more ram and more battery and more everything and it would cost a whole lot of money, not a good idea for money.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
MW Tokyo is in March...

Sounds like a good time and plac eto update the iPod.

I say upgrading the HD capacity is a given. Maybe the 5 gigger will be $300??? Nahhhh, it's probably too much to ask. How much is Toshiba expecting to sell the 10GB and 20GB?

I'm also curious to see if they add any more functionality to the iPod. There's plenty of processor power in there...

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I think I'll get an iPod when they have 30gig HD/color screen and the ability to play avi and mpg video. I have a feeling we may see this in 3 years or so.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
:mad:
1.Look the ipod may be good for most of us mac users, but how many people have 40 gig's of music??? REaly I thought they went over the top with 1000 songs...
:mad:
2. iPod is not yet selling to most of the population cause... They are all PCEE users.
3. Price maybe all of you can buy gulf stream V jets... but I can't... I ipod has a great amount of space for wat it is, a mac part.

M

Moby 1

I'd buy one - again!

I was one of those who thought the iPod was way to expensive.

Then I bought one (OK, I got a discount) and I think it's just great!

I use it for quick (very!) backups of essential data from my PowerBook*. I also use it to set up any new Macs I bring home.

5 GB it very usefull but if they made a 10 or 20 GB drive I'd pay extra for it. I could set up everything I need on a new Mac on my lunch hour! Firewire is THE way to go folks!

* I also use it to listen to my MP3's at home or in the car (plugs right in!)

M1

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
most people cant/wont be able to afford a 30 gig music player with firewire, the parts are expensive and everything, so it would be at least 6-700 dollars for the new ipod, not a good idea in todays world. Also apple released airport for windows so i think itunes for windows isnt to far away, but really just pick ans choose your songs, i have an ipod and it only has around 200 songs on the 600 i have. This is because i choose what i like out of my cd and put that on my ipod, not the whole cd cause it would overfill the ipod. So the ipod is good only for the songs you will lisen to, not for the ones with dust on them. The best would be an ipod with 10 gigs in the end of '02 or the begining of '03, at best. So i would recomend that you get an ipod over auctions or one right from the store and buy the additional hard drive and put the new hard drive in the ipod and use the old hd (after you clear it) as an additional hd, 5 gigs extra cant hurt, but go to ipodhacks.com or ipodlounge.com or ipoding.com, and see what they have done before anything so you dont buy an extra hard drive for no reason. an alternative is get a cheapo 200 dollar mp3 player with lots of space but with a cheap hard drive, bigger, usb, and more difficult controls. I say the ipod is better for looks and works. Also not many mp3 players are that big, only about 4-7 are as big as the ipod hd is so dont go around complaining. Get the pod now and update it till it cant be updated anymore, thats what im doing. Also, asurace what you speak of should be a really good pda so get that when a great one comes out cause thats really not an mp3 player after all those changes. but for the me, 5 gigs is more than enough to keep me happy, also just think how much easier it is to use the ipod then all those cds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.