Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_display-150x200.jpg

Back in late August, Reuters reported that Sharp had been experiencing low production yields on the iPhone 5 display, putting the company behind Apple's other two suppliers, Japan Display and LG Display.

MarketWatch now reports that Sharp has apparently ironed out its issues and has now begun shipping iPhone 5 displays into Apple's supply chain.
Mass production of the screens for the iPhone 5, which Apple unveiled Wednesday, began earlier this week at Sharp's factory in central Japan, the person said.

The start of Sharp's delivery of the screens could help ease concerns about whether Apple will have enough components to meet global demand for the new iPhone.
The iPhone 5 will launch in Apple's first round of markets on Friday, September 21, with pre-orders set to begin tomorrow.

Article Link: Sharp Catches Up on iPhone 5 Display Production

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Does this mean some of the pre order iPhones might not have an IGZO display?

We have no reason to believe any of them are IGZO. They are using the same transistors as before with the new in-cell technology incorporated.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Is that enough to give the new wider colour gamut? Or is there also another improvement?

I've only seen anandtech mention that. Apple quotes the same brightness and contrast on their spec page. I imagine that if they were using IGZO they'd be extolling how their new screen is much better on power usage.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
This release may keep Sharp stock from crashing by inferring the prior news to a massive release uptake.

The real useful fact is if Sharp can actually over-produce to take up slack from other vendors' temporary issues and massive initial surge demand worldwide for this product.

Ask yourself this. What if the iPhone 5 has a product life a significant fraction of that of the iPhone 3 GS? Hmmm? (6-2009 to 9-2012 = 3.25 years! iPhone3GS) Given that this unit is compatible with a couple of dozen LTE network countries, and several doxen 3G+ countries, it is likely to be ubiquitous for years.

Rocketman

http://www.google.com/finance?q=PINK:SHCAY&ei=TAZSULDLNeGfiAKYOg

ADR market cap only $3B. Apple could buy them with pocket change.

Last edited:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
IGZO? what is that? excuse my ignorance.

It's a new type of transistor (Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide) that is much lower power than previous transistor types. That means the screen uses less power and you get more battery life. It was rumored for the iPad 3 and is rumored to replace the retina screen to have it updated.

spb3

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
It's a new type of transistor (Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide) that is much lower power than previous transistor types. That means the screen uses less power and you get more battery life. It was rumored for the iPad 3 and is rumored to replace the retina screen to have it updated.
thx. that would be a nice update in the future.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Canada
What about the ipod touch? It's supposed to utilize the same display as the iphone5...
Or will apple cheap out and use a crappie screen with the same resolution as the iphone5?

Mhkobe

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
What about the ipod touch? It's supposed to utilize the same display as the iphone5...
Or will apple cheap out and use a crappie screen with the same resolution as the iphone5?
This time the iPod Touch display is in fact IPS. Who knows if it is exactly the same as the iPhone though (wait until a teardown of each).

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Back in late August, Reuters reported that Sharp had been experiencing low production yields on the iPhone 5 display, putting the company behind Apple's other two suppliers, Japan Display and LG Display.

MarketWatch now reports that Sharp has apparently ironed out its issues and has now begun shipping iPhone 5 displays into Apple's supply chain.The iPhone 5 will launch in Apple's first round of markets on Friday, September 21, with pre-orders set to begin tomorrow.

Article Link: Sharp Catches Up on iPhone 5 Display Production

Really love that photo!

SirDaav

Jun 26, 2010
Sharp does make phones

That's all well and good until Sharp decides to start making phones...

But supposedly Apple inested in a joint venture in Sharp screen production, so I doubt you will have Sharp makeing iPhone clones any time soon.

Sharp, Panasonic and Toshiba all make phones in the JP market with lovely LCD screens, they carry their TV brands on hem, Aquos, Viera, Regza. -- many Japanese watch TV on their phones during commute time.

It's a shame none of those phones make it here :(

bluesamg

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Doubt it. I have an HTC thunderbolt, and had an iPod touch 4(before it was stolen), and the iPod screen was 100x better sharper, and brighter. Now i hog my brothers iPhone 4s until i get an iPhone.

Last edited:

dede901

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Igzo

I think Sharp will come around and prove it can handle it. I was impressed with their IGZO 90" screens I saw in August

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
I was being facetious vis-a-vis Samsung vs Apple lawsuits...

As someone already pointed out, Sharp already makes phones. They have been making phones before the iPhone existed.

There is another Japanese company that is supplying Apple that's a long time phone manufacturer, Sony. Japan Display Inc is partly owned by Sony. They are also the 4S's camera supplier (probably the iPhone 5's camera supplier too).

So far no problems. I guess Japanese companies just have a better sense of "sportsmanship" - you slug it out in the ring but at the end of day you shake hands and try harder next time if you lost; no need for name calling and smear campaigns.

Maso1

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
I guess Japanese companies just have a better sense of "sportsmanship" - you slug it out in the ring but at the end of day you shake hands and try harder next time if you lost; no need for name calling and smear campaigns.

Somehow I am not surprised to read this; Samsung is, after all, an upstart compared to the more established brands and it shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.