Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brown3218

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
If I order the iPhone 5 tonight through the apple store, will I be given the option to keep my unlimited data?

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Only if you purchase the iPhone at full price.

that is only true for Verizon. Att is allowing grandfathered plans to use their upgrade.

Op: I ordered last year from apple and kept my plan. If something happens just call them and they should put it back on.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
that is only true for Verizon. Att is allowing grandfathered plans to use their upgrade.

Op: I ordered last year from apple and kept my plan. If something happens just call them and they should put it back on.

The policy has changed from last year. I believe you have to purchase the phone at full price to keep unlimited data for AT&T and Verizon.

Edit: Nevermind you are correct.

Ben C.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New England
"AT&T confirmed today that you can keep your old as balls $30 data plan. While it's not technically unlimited (it comes down to 5GB, after which your data is throttled), it's a pretty good deal.

But according to CNET, Verizon is going to present you with the Sophie's Choice of smartphones—unlimited data or a subsidized phone, but you can't have both. Verizon is going to transition everyone to its tiered model, unless of course you want to pay full price for your phone. Meanwhile, Sprint's over in the corner saying hey guys I have unlimited data! Can it, Sprint, no one cares. [CNET, AT&T via @mattbuchanan]"

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I'm planning on keeping Unlimited Data with AT&T. As long as you do nothing to change your plan itself, buying a new iPhone when you're eligible for upgrade (not early upgrade) will cause no ill effects. Grandfathered Unlimited Data will remain intact.

YAY! :D

Ben C.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New England
I'm planning on keeping Unlimited Data with AT&T. As long as you do nothing to change your plan itself, buying a new iPhone when you're eligible for upgrade (not early upgrade) will cause no ill effects. Grandfathered Unlimited Data will remain intact.

Are you going through Apple or AT&T's site tomorrow AM for your pre-order?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Are you going through Apple or AT&T's site tomorrow AM for your pre-order?

Apple. It's faster and more reliable.

I'm grandfathered with AT&T, all is as easy as ordering the phone and turning it on when it arrives.

BJ

zencowboy

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I have the 'ole' grandfather unlimited plan at 10 for texting and 10 for data, so $20 and total bill at 67.98 a month. However, I called att late night and to get tethering(hotspot) I would have to drop grandfather unlimited and go with the 5GB data plan and pay for texting too, a total of 89+ taxes a month.

So, IF you want a to use iphone for a hotspot and not jailbreak, cannot have the grandfather plan.

Ben C.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
New England
Apple. It's faster and more reliable.

I'm grandfathered with AT&T, all is as easy as ordering the phone and turning it on when it arrives.

BJ

Me too... finally upgrading from my original 3GS :eek:

I'd never upgraded an iPhone in the past (I did originally pre-order the 3GS through the Apple site- no problems), and didn't know if there were issues ordering through Apple as it adds another layer of complexity beyond pre-ordering direct from the carrier.

Thanks!

lelisa13p - I'll probably be waiting until 5AM when I usually get up... let the site crashes have their opportunity to run their courses for a couple hours :)

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005

Good to hear. Are there radio buttons or the like that are needed to click to make sure I don't change my unlimited data plan with AT&T when pre-ordering through Apple? This will be my first time upgrading online instead of in-store.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I don't think so. You're just purchasing a new iPhone and while Apple will check your eligibility during the order process they have no reason to touch any of your other account details. Contract renewal goes into effect when iPhone is activated after delivery. You're renewing your contract with the purchase and making no other changes. :)

dylanlive

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
San Francisco, Calif.
Be careful. Gizmodo posted a warning today.

http://gizmodo.com/5943061/how-to-buy-an-iphone-5-without-losing-your-unlimited-data-plan

AT&T and Verizon are both notorious for having opaque online tools for carrying over grandfathered plans. That's a bad thing, since if you accidentally ditch your plan, you probably won't get it back. Reps at both stores said that you've really got to be careful, since recovering your unlimited plan is pretty much a lost cause—not totally impossible, just effectively so.

I'm going to be camping out on release day due to this.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia

I did a test order via the AT&T website upgrading a 4S to a Nitro. I wasn't given the option to keep or choose my unlimited data.

I called support and the rep was on what he called System X which he saw the unlimited data option. He said the regular AT&T site you can't see it.

He said it might be a way to encourage you to go on a tiered plan. He suggested if there isn't an option to choose or keep unlimited not to order unless you want to lose your unlimited.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I did a test order via the AT&T website upgrading a 4S to a Nitro. I wasn't given the option to keep or choose my unlimited data.

I called support and the rep was on what he called System X which he saw the unlimited data option. He said the regular AT&T site you can't see it.

He said it might be a way to encourage you to go on a tiered plan. He suggested if there isn't an option to choose or keep unlimited not to order unless you want to lose your unlimited.

I did a test order on Apple's website of the 4s. I put in my number and social and AT&T confirmed that I was eligible for an upgrade. It listed my plan, which included unlimited data, so apparently it works.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I did a test order on Apple's website of the 4s. I put in my number and social and AT&T confirmed that I was eligible for an upgrade. It listed my plan, which included unlimited data, so apparently it works.

It listed my unlimited data however it didn't give me a choice to keep or choose it as an option. Apple is hooked into AT&T system.

LyricalMenace

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Was wondering this myself.

I have an "early iPhone upgrade" and unlimited data. I plan on waking up at 3:00 AM to preorder.

Scared to lose my unlimited data though... Last year I camped out at AT&T for the 4S and they tried switching me out of unlimited in store. Argued with them and said don't change any data I want my unlimited.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Be careful. Gizmodo posted a warning today.

http://gizmodo.com/5943061/how-to-buy-an-iphone-5-without-losing-your-unlimited-data-plan

I'm going to be camping out on release day due to this.

It's easy peasy. To the far left when you get to the data plans is the "Unlimited" option. I did a dry run yesterday on the 4S and it's right there. Of course, at 3AM it's a different story. Launch days are when you wish Apple were based on the East Coast instead of the West Coast.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Was wondering this myself.

I have an "early iPhone upgrade" and unlimited data. I plan on waking up at 3:00 AM to preorder.

Scared to lose my unlimited data though... Last year I camped out at AT&T for the 4S and they tried switching me out of unlimited in store. Argued with them and said don't change any data I want my unlimited.

As I said the rep told me on the system he was using which wasn't the consumer site showed option to choose and keep your uimited data. I wasn't able to see that option via AT&T site. He was able to see it on the AT&T site either.

He suggested if there isn't an option for unlimited data DON'T order the iPhone 5. You'll lose your unlimited data forever if you choose a tiered plan.

My plan on both AT&T and Apple shows I have an unlimited plan but doesn't give me the option to keep and choose unlimited. The only options are tiered/mobile share.

Anyone else experience this?

----------

It's easy peasy. To the far left when you get to the data plans is the "Unlimited" option. I did a dry run yesterday on the 4S and it's right there. Of course, at 3AM it's a different story. Launch days are when you wish Apple were based on the East Coast instead of the West Coast.

There isn't that option for me.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
It listed my unlimited data however it didn't give me a choice to keep or choose it as an option. Apple is hooked into AT&T system.

Well if you're just replacing a phone, I would assume that the information is just confirming what you have. It would be worse if it didn't list unlimited data. To be safe, I'd take a screen shot of the order befor completing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.