Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RidgeRacerType4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2005
San Antonio. TX
So I still have my first gen nano and it definitely qualifies for a replacement. So that begs the question: How long do you think it will be before they replace first gen nanos with the recently released ones?

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Like 10 years, and the reason is because they wont. They have loads of refurbs and are giving the 6th gen refurbs out for the 1st Gen. Only when they run out will they give you a 7th Gen, and I'm pretty sure that will be in a long time. In fact, it will be in such a long time, that they are likely to have stopped the programme by then.

What I'd advise you is; get the 6th gen refurb, sell it on eBay, and now you only have to pay $70 to get the new one :)

Herrow

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Food for thought:

Last year we sent a MINT 4gb 1st gen in for replacement. We received the replacement and my wife used it periodically (battery kept topped off).

Suddenly it bricked, and gets really REALLY hot when charged. Called Apple and described the situation and how we had faith in Apple and sent in a perfectly good unit...I know they only gave a 90 day warranty with them, but they should have taken a moment to look at our account. We have a few thousand dollars of purchases in the last 5 years. Throw us a bone!

Think twice, before you roll the dice!

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Food for thought:

Last year we sent a MINT 4gb 1st gen in for replacement. We received the replacement and my wife used it periodically (battery kept topped off).

Suddenly it bricked, and gets really REALLY hot when charged. Called Apple and described the situation and how we had faith in Apple and sent in a perfectly good unit...I know they only gave a 90 day warranty with them, but they should have taken a moment to look at our account. We have a few thousand dollars of purchases in the last 5 years. Throw us a bone!

Think twice, before you roll the dice!

They should give you a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!!!!!!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The iPods were old, and of course, there were a lot of refurbished parts left over that even made this del possible. They were some of the best selling devices at the time, and they needed those parts for warranty reasons.

The whole point of the program was to give people devices with non-exploding batteries that could one day cause your drawer, closet, or wherever you leave your old devices to rot to catch fire. Not to give you a working device that could be used on a daily basis again.

They're going to give you a 6th, but just to be kind because they know you've moved on from that device, and it's to meet the demands of a lawsuit, nothing more.

And yes, those old iPods had issues eventually. But honestly, they are 7 year-old devices, what did you expect? If you think they aren't going to die on you, like they did for some people in the first year, then you're very mistaken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.