Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Will the iPhone 5 support simultaneous voice+data when used on an LTE network?

Will the iPhone 5 support simultaneous voice+data when used on EV-DO, in the absence of LTE? (the iPhone 4S didn't)

I am primarily concerned from what I saw here: http://twitpic.com/au1lob

"Tx1 and Tx2 never transmit simultaneously. At any given time only one technology (GSM/UMTS/LTE/CDMA) can transmit from Tx1 or Tx2".

Does this mean that simultaneous voice+data is impossible on Verizon?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It can do simultaneous on LTE. Simultaneous on non-LTE Verizon is something called SVDO and only a few Android phones can do it. The iPhone 5 cannot.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
It can do simultaneous on LTE. Simultaneous on non-LTE Verizon is something called SVDO and only a few Android phones can do it. The iPhone 5 cannot.

Where did you hear that it can do simultaneous on LTE?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Where did you hear that it can do simultaneous on LTE?

Verizon most certainly supports simultaneous voice and data with LTE. I'm using a VZW LTE phone right now... The data is carried by the LTE network and the voice is carried by the CDMA 1x network.

There are a few phones in Verizon's arsenal which support simultaneous voice & data over CDMA (SVDO), including the HTC Thunderbolt and Samsung Galaxy S3. Apparently, per the chip specs shown from the leaked logic board pictures, the iPhone 5 will also support simultaneous voice & data on Verizon's 3G network.

jroth21

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
Now that you mention that, I'm not sure I read it anywhere. I retract my previous claim of it being able to and change it to possibly able to.

Yes it should be able to use both on LTE. Same as if you have wi-fi on a call you can still surf and talk. But 3G most likely you will not be able to as verizon does not do this except for rare occurrences. But LTE should be good I have had 2 different LTE phones and have been able to do so.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Verizon most certainly supports simultaneous voice and data with LTE. I'm using a VZW LTE phone right now... The data is carried by the LTE network and the voice is carried by the CDMA 1x network.

There are a few phones in Verizon's arsenal which support simultaneous voice & data over CDMA (SVDO), including the HTC Thunderbolt and Samsung Galaxy S3. Apparently, per the chip specs shown from the leaked logic board pictures, the iPhone 5 will also support simultaneous voice & data on Verizon's 3G network.

The question isn't whether Verizon supports it, they most certainly do. The question is whether the iPhone 5 is built for it and whether its antenna(s) can run LTE for data and CDMA for voice simultaneously.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
But 3G most likely you will not be able to as verizon does not do this except for rare occurrences.

Voice + 3G Data has NOTHING to do with Verizon. Their equipment has supported it for years. It is up to the phone manufacturer to support SVDO on their chip. If they do not support SVDO, no 3G+Voice. The iPhone 5 chip is missing SVDO from the specs so most likely it will not work with 3G+Voice. Again, this is NOT the carrier's issue but the phone manufacturer's.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Voice + 3G Data has NOTHING to do with Verizon. Their equipment has supported it for years. It is up to the phone manufacturer to support SVDO on their chip. If they do not support SVDO, no 3G+Voice. The iPhone 5 chip is missing SVDO from the specs so most likely it will not work with 3G+Voice. Again, this is NOT the carrier's issue but the phone manufacturer's.

I don't have the link, but I'm certain I've read in two locations that the iP5 will support SVDO as the Qualcomm chip it uses supports it.

Edit: according to Apple's spec sheet, the iP5 supports EVDO rev. B. All EVDO rev. B chipsets include the SVDO spec IIRC.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

Verizon only recently started supporting the SVDO protocol. They started rolling it out in 2009 and completed the rollout in late 2010. It's mostly a software upgrade to the towers with a few of the older towers needing some updated equipment.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Verizon only recently started supporting the SVDO protocol. They started rolling it out in 2009 and completed the rollout in late 2010. It's mostly a software upgrade to the towers with a few of the older towers needing some updated equipment.

2009 and 2010 were 3 and 2 years ago. Not a Verizon issue for at least 2 years.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
SV-DO (for voice+data on EV-DO) would be great, but LTE+CDMA voice is a necessity until VoLTE is available. Where is the proof that the iPhone 5 supports simultaneous LTE data + CDMA voice? Because the link in my original post seems to suggest otherwise.

If you have SV-DO proof that would be awesome.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I don't have the link, but I'm certain I've read in two locations that the iP5 will support SVDO as the Qualcomm chip it uses supports it.

Edit: according to Apple's spec sheet, the iP5 supports EVDO rev. B. All EVDO rev. B chipsets include the SVDO spec IIRC.

There is another thread about this that links the Qualcomm PDF with the exact specs of the chips they offer. It listed SVLTE but not SVDO.
http://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/gobi-product-specs

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
SV-DO (for voice+data on EV-DO) would be great, but LTE+CDMA voice is a necessity until VoLTE is available. Where is the proof that the iPhone 5 supports simultaneous LTE data + CDMA voice? Because the link in my original post seems to suggest otherwise.

If you have SV-DO proof that would be awesome.

No proof of LTE + voice necessary. It simply is. Every other LTE phone in the world, from the crappiest Chinese Android phone to their flagship models, support simultaneous LTE data & voice. If the iP5 doesn't, Apple is the stupidest tech company on the planet (since the Qualcomm chipset 100% supports it).

If it doesn't do LTE+voice, I'll post my ATM card number and PIN here on this forum.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
No proof of LTE + voice necessary. It simply is. Every other LTE phone in the world, from the crappiest Chinese Android phone to their flagship models, support simultaneous LTE data & voice. If the iP5 doesn't, Apple is the stupidest tech company on the planet (since the Qualcomm chipset 100% supports it).

If it doesn't do LTE+voice, I'll post my ATM card number and PIN here on this forum.

I'm glad you have such confidence. I did, too, until I saw that link I posted in my original post. Hopefully you're right.

SV-DO would be nice. Any confirmation on whether it has it or not?

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011

Your certainly right. EVDO rev. B allows talk and surf over 3G.

"EVDO Rev. B. enables applications such as mobile TV or streaming music with a concurrent voice call, or conducting a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) conversation while simultaneously browsing the Internet or transmitting multimedia content over the network. The flexibility of EV-DO Rev. B technology also enables significant network capacity and performance enhancements while leveraging existing network investments and currently deployed devices. High-performance devices could support forward-link data rates of up to 73.5 Mbps, while lower-cost or pre-existing devices could support 4.9 Mbps. Network operators may reduce their costs by allowing a greater percentage of spectrum to be allocated to IP-based services."

And on the spec sheet for the iPhone 5 it says "CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)".

348SStb

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010

As a huge iPhone supporter, I agree with you about Apple possibly being the stupidest tech company on the planet **if** they gave a big EFF YOU to SVLTE because they didn't feel like making the phone a little bit less small to accommodate extra stuff like a bigger battery.

Elsewhere in the blogosphere, I have read that the FCC documents clearly show that Apple did not file for SVLTE capability. The conclusion by the blogger was given that even in LTE mode, then, there will *not* be simultaneous voice and data.

I would prefer that people do their own research and try to tackle this issue on their own instead of asking me where I read that. All I can say is that someone at the Apple keynote did some digging and saw the FCC filings and pointed out, sadly, that the iPhone 5 **seems** to not be SVLTE capable.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
When you read this [http://aaronmfisher.tumblr.com/post/31478973336/buying-an-iphone-5-dont-go-with-at-t] it's a different story because Verizon Support tweeted and said that it will support voice and data over 4G.

Here is the tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/shellen/status/245943474317312000

I think this sucks. Either Apple and/or Verizon need to confirm this to us customers.

The tweet never specifically mentions the iPhone 5 can do this. So far most things I'm reading are saying it's the iPhone, not Verizon that is causing this.

-Kevin

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
***** what!? That's insane. I can live with the CDMA 3G iPhone not being able to do both since the CDMA spec is old and the iPhone 4 was designed years ago.

But in 2012 - almost 2013 - to not be able to do (Verizon) simultaneous voice & data on a brand-new flagship device is a deal breaker. I'm sorry, Apple, but I can't buy your phone. My preferred carrier is VZW and I won't switch.

Guess I'll stick to my Galaxy S3 - which does simultaneous voice and data over LTE and 3G.

Damn it. Looks like I'll (maybe) wait for the iPhone 5S. If I haven't completely moved on by then.

(And no, I won't post mt ATM card number like I said I would. I didn't plan on Apple engineering being so short-sighted)

Stooopid, stooopid, stoooooopid! Where's that double face palm GIF when you need it?

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008

I'll take that atm card and pin # now :D

http://gizmodo.com/5943152/verizons...et-you-talk-and-surf-the-web-at-the-same-time

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012

want

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.