Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daftpuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
13'' MacbookPro mid 2009

There's some corrosion on the mobo around the display cable... everything else is fine, it seems. I took out the HDD and put it in an enclosure, also took out the RAM. Is it worth replacing the Logicboard? So far it seems it'll cost me at least $450 to do it myself, around $800 through Apple.

I was thinking of many utilizing the parts for something else? Maybe make something cool with the display... dunno, like attaching it to my PS3 somehow (yeah haha probably impossible).

Some other devices I have are: Desktop computer (Win7, i7 2600k sandy, gtx 560 ti, 8gb ram) and another mid tower that's missing ram and drives (the Macbook's ram won't fit). Also got a PS3, GCN, DSi and a Wii. None of the MacbookPro parts are compatible with these... but who knows?

Help me think of some cool ideas!

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Simply hang on to the parts, never know what you may need. Extra RAM and a HDD are always useable hardware. They don't take up much space - store them in a bin or something and put them away, I would do so at least.

As far as your Logicboard it's really up to you as to whether or not you feel that it's worth it to replace. Personally I feel like $800 is far enough to just save a bit more and go for a new laptop in the near future. If however, you feel comfortable doing it yourself - perhaps go for the $400 repair range if you feel that price is worth it.

Fatt

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Miami/Gainesville, FL
If the board still functions, you can clean up the corrosion with a toothbrush and CRC electronic cleaner, or something similar. Will clean the corrosion right up, just be careful with the toothbrush, the cleaner is very volatile and evaporates quickly and won't hurt the board. I've used this cleaner to clean marine components that were exposed to salt water, and were REALLY corroded.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Quick-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000BXOGNI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.