Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:59 PM   #1
doc shivers
macrumors member

Anyone else put off by Tim Cook's forced enthusiasm during keynote?

His enthusiasm was horribly forced and it seemed like he trying desperately to convince people just how excited we all should be about the new features of the phone, and to me he came off sounding phony as hell. The thing that people like about Apple is that the product sells itself. Jobs would never have made such an ass of himself at a keynote, he would have been like, "yea this is the new product, here are it's features, and we know you are going to buy it."
doc shivers is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
greytmom
macrumors 68000

I don't think he came across that way at all.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3
DeaconGraves
macrumors 65816

Didn't seem forced to me.

Sounds like a new spin on the argument that Jobs is a better speaker/salesman than Cook is. But I don't think anyone would argue with that.
DeaconGraves is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

Apart from Phil and Scott, I thought they all were uncomfortable to watch. The guys who showed off iTunes and the dude who talked about iPods were the worst though.
Frankied22 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:02 PM   #5
supervelous
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc shivers View Post
His enthusiasm was horribly forced and it seemed like he trying desperately to convince people just how excited we all should be about the new features of the phone, and to me he came off sounding phony as hell. The thing that people like about Apple is that the product sells itself. Jobs would never have made such an ass of himself at a keynote, he would have been like, "yea this is the new product, here are it's features, and we know you are going to buy it."
I didn't watch, but the great thing about Steve is he would not have been like you described....he had the attitude "check this out, it's so cool, I love it and I think you will too, this is my baby"

You just felt like he truly loved the device and was excited to show it off to you, not like a product pitchman who was just making a presentation.
supervelous is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

I noticed his forcefulness, but felt that is was more related to nervousness and a desire to be an engaging speaker.

Not everyone can hop up on stage in front of hundreds of people and sound like they're having a typical chat like Jobs. In the biography, Isaacson revealed that Jobs spent a ridiculous amount of time preparing for each keynote - saying each line hundreds of times until he felt the tone and delivery sounded as if he was "saying it for the first time".

They don't throw these things together in a couple of days. They are probably preparing for the next keynote as we speak. I think Tim just needs more time to get comfortable.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:03 PM   #7
nlkccom
macrumors 6502

Unlike Steve Jobs, Tim Cook was never a good public speaker. He always seem stiff and boring to me.
nlkccom is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:04 PM   #8
ixodes
macrumors 601

I believe you may be a bit biased towards Steve Jobs, and are evaluating Cook a bit harshly.

He's a different man with his own style and characteristics.

If that's too much for you, if he puts you off, as your post indicates, then perhaps it's best you do not watch his presentations.

I thought that he did a fine job.

But then again I've been attending every one of these events for many years and have been to workshops he hosted long before he became CEO.

I am used to and understand his particular style. Calmer, and more matter of fact that Steve Jobs, I prefer his style. Less Hype, more reality.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:06 PM   #9
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervelous View Post
I didn't watch, but the great thing about Steve is he would not have been like you described....he had the attitude "check this out, it's so cool, I love it and I think you will too, this is my baby"

You just felt like he truly loved the device and was excited to show it off to you, not like a product pitchman who was just making a presentation.
This.

He seemed so genuine.

"get a camera up here and look around the back, it's so cool, it's amazing!"

He just came across as is he wanted to show these cool things they had made.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Tim Cook strikes me as an operations guy who now is the face of a company, if the Apple keynotes were not a staple I doubt he would do them, rather just release products. I'm not turned off by his presentations (I mean I hate doing them myself). Just give him time. Mark Zuckerberg used to be horrible at presentations, but he's slowly bettered his skill over the years.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:16 PM   #11
doc shivers
macrumors member

Hell, Zuck sounds like Kermit the Frog, and Cook makes him look like JFK in comparison.
doc shivers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:23 PM   #12
magnificent me
macrumors member

I logged in just to say yes I felt the same. It felt like he rather be some where else. Ahh well it could just be me. I feel that spark was missing in this keynote but all this rather subjective.
magnificent me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:28 PM   #13
webworks415
macrumors regular

I agree that he lacks the charisma of Steve Jobs....when he puts emphasis on things it just sounds forced...luckily there are others part of the keynote that sound more natural. I don't like when he says "Only Apple could do this...." I will give him a chance and see if he improves, but I doubt it.
webworks415 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:30 PM   #14
Oracle1729
macrumors 6502

He's not a showman like Jobs was; not a big deal since few CEO's can give a presentation. The real problem is he's a complete idiot who doesn't know how to run a company and doesn't know enough to hire someone else to give a keynote.
Oracle1729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:32 PM   #15
brando123b
macrumors regular

He is not a great public speaker...he lacks the ability to engage. Steve was mesmerizing, because his passion was for the products themselves. Cook is more operational.
brando123b is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:34 PM   #16
mytakeontech
macrumors 6502a

I felt Tim Cook was definitely trying his best but it looked all fake and forced to me too.

After watching the keynote I felt that Apple may trademark "revolutionary", "Amazing", "Phenomenal" words really soon.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:37 PM   #17
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Its also his southern accent. When he talks really slow, it seems stretched/weird/phony. His words do not match his enthusiasm because he probably is nervous or just not that type of guy.

ps: the iPod guy was dressed weird. Hello 70s!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:37 PM   #18
webworks415
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle1729 View Post
He's not a showman like Jobs was; not a big deal since few CEO's can give a presentation. The real problem is he's a complete idiot who doesn't know how to run a company and doesn't know enough to hire someone else to give a keynote.
I think the point is to have THE CEO giving the presentation. If he was a complete idiot, I don't think Steve Jobs would have trusted to leave the company in his hands. I'm sure he knew Tim had certain strengths and weaknesses. The others like Phill Schiller, Eddy Cue, Scott Forstall, etc make up for it anyway.
webworks415 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:38 PM   #19
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

People can rationalize whatever they want and "perceive" someone as being one way or another if it suits their feelings. In the OP's case, he's not excited about the iPhone 5 so Tim Cook's enthusiasm must be "forced."

Nothing but a bunch of silly rationalizing.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:40 PM   #20
Omacc
macrumors member

Get USED TO IT
Omacc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:43 PM   #21
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

Deal with it :sunglasses:
Frankied22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:46 PM   #22
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I've watched nearly every interview Tim Cook has given.

He's more laid back and low key than Steve Jobs. Not a showman by any means. It's clear he's not big on being a public figure in the way Jobs was.

I think he's likeable, but he isn't Steve Jobs, and if someone expects him to be, then it's their problem, not Tim's.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:46 PM   #23
doc shivers
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
People can rationalize whatever they want and "perceive" someone as being one way or another if it suits their feelings. In the OP's case, he's not excited about the iPhone 5 so Tim Cook's enthusiasm must be "forced."

Nothing but a bunch of silly rationalizing.
Naw, I am stoked for the iPhone 5, not because of the keynote, but because of it's features and its look. But having it hammered into my head just exactly how excited I should be is a huge turn off for me.
doc shivers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:50 PM   #24
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a

cant fill the shoes, Steve Job made you excited he would sell you the iPhone 5 even if it was the same exact copy of iPhone 4, Cook lacks stage presence , can't blame him someone has to do it.. RIP Steve

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc shivers View Post
hell, zuck sounds like kermit the frog, and cook makes him look like jfk in comparison.
Dead LOL
whoknows87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:52 PM   #25
Oracle1729
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by webworks415 View Post
I think the point is to have THE CEO giving the presentation. If he was a complete idiot, I don't think Steve Jobs would have trusted to leave the company in his hands. I'm sure he knew Tim had certain strengths and weaknesses. The others like Phill Schiller, Eddy Cue, Scott Forstall, etc make up for it anyway.
Most companies don't have THE CEO give these presentations, and by insisting on doing it, Timmy just comes off as a pale imitation of Jobs.

As far as complete idiot who doesn't know how to run a company, Jobs was known as a control freak and it's quite possible Timmy never had enough rope to hang himself while Jobs was alive.

Let's recap though, since Jobs death, Apple has not released a single desktop computer, the only update to the laptop line is a cpu change and adding a feature that Intel gives them in the new chipset. There could have been innovation in the rMBP, except it's an underpowered piece of crap that feels laggy because it can't handle its own screen. On the iToy front, iPhone is the only so-called high end smartphone that doesn't have a 720p screen. 4" is small for 2011 and tiny for 2012. Apple is the only company that doesn't give a screen size choice.

So there's been 0 technology innovation under Timmy, but he's turned apple into a 1998 Microsoft. Release garbage in the market but sue everyone else so they can't innovate either. Apple's $100 billion is terrifying because Timmy is going to blow it keeping the world in 2011 as long as he can until Apple implodes.

He has no idea what he's doing, he's like a cat chasing his tail. One month he increases pay for retail workers, next month he cuts back their hours and fires a bunch of them.

It's hilarious that he said they're doubling down on secrecy and then it's been the worst round of leaks Apple has ever experienced. He's so incompetent he's a joke.
Oracle1729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion