Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanMacUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
i have a macbook pro I got in 2009. 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 and 500GB drive. When I first got it, everything ran incredibly smooth and efficient. It has been seriously lagging lately, especially when I am in safari. I like using safari but sometimes it will just load forever and i have to open firefox. I took screen shots of my activity monitor and will upload them, can anyone tell me if anything is abnormal or any other advice? I have mackeeper and run that regularly and try to not run too many programs at once. Thanks.

Attachments

• activity1.jpg
    activity1.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 84
  • activity2.jpg
    activity2.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 79
  • activity3.jpg
    activity3.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 67
  • activity4.jpg
    activity4.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 60

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i have a macbook pro I got in 2009. 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 and 500GB drive. When I first got it, everything ran incredibly smooth and efficient. It has been seriously lagging lately, especially when I am in safari. I like using safari but sometimes it will just load forever and i have to open firefox. I took screen shots of my activity monitor and will upload them, can anyone tell me if anything is abnormal or any other advice? I have mackeeper and run that regularly and try to not run too many programs at once. Thanks.
FIRST, uninstall MacKeeper. You don't need it and it can do more harm than good. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

SECOND, reset Safari, clearing your cookies and cache.
THIRD, disable all your Safari extensions and ad-blockers.
FOURTH, if you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?
FIFTH, Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.
SIXTH, restart your Mac.

Now try visiting sites and see what performance you get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.