Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:29 PM   #1
therealseebs
macrumors 6502

Remove video from a music video?

Yes, I'm aware of ways to remove DRM. They are uninteresting to me.

I got an album off iTunes. One of the songs in it is a music video -- a .m4v, which contains the audio, plus the video for the music video. I like the music, but iTunes CANNOT play the sound without switching from my playlist display to a large and disruptive animation.

So I want to obtain a file which contains the audio from this video. I don't care about DRM either way; I don't even know whether it's got DRM. I just want to be able to convert this to a substantially smaller file which does not produce distracting visuals whenever iTunes encounters it.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to construct search terms which yield anything on this, rather than information about removing DRM.
therealseebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:30 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealseebs View Post
So I want to obtain a file which contains the audio from this video.
Try All2MP3
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Sergeant Pepper
macrumors member

Or Max. Works with videos and any audio format you're likely to come across.

Late 2011 MacBook Pro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD + 750 GB HDD | Mac OS X 10.9 | Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
iPhone 5 | 32 GB | iOS 6.1.2 | Jailbroken | Verizon
Sergeant Pepper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Peace
macrumors P6

You could just use Quicktime to export the audio only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audioonly.png
Views:	4
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	389091  
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:47 PM   #5
therealseebs
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Pepper View Post
Or Max. Works with videos and any audio format you're likely to come across.
Doesn't work with this file; it's a .m4v, and Max can't even try to open it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
You could just use Quicktime to export the audio only.
... That's surprisingly simple and easy. Thank you!

New problem: I deleted the video from iTunes. Now I can't add the audio to iTunes, possibly because it thinks the file with that name, artist, album, etc., is supposed to be deleted or something. *sigh*

EDIT: No, it's just that it gets added to the "videos" list. Because it used to be a video. So it's tagged in iTunes as "a video" even though it has no video components. Well, I can live with it showing the wrong icon and not being in the "Songs" list, as long as it works.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Garageband. When you load the movie, it should display video and audio as separate tracks. Just delete the video and Share back to iTunes.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:01 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
New problem: I deleted the video from iTunes. Now I can't add the audio to iTunes, possibly because it thinks the file with that name, artist, album, etc., is supposed to be deleted or something. *sigh*

EDIT: No, it's just that it gets added to the "videos" list. Because it used to be a video. So it's tagged in iTunes as "a video" even though it has no video components. Well, I can live with it showing the wrong icon and not being in the "Songs" list, as long as it works.
Did you try All2MP3, as suggested? It creates an MP3 file and you won't have the problems you're having. There's no need to use Max, Quicktime or Garageband. There's no need to open the file at all. Just drag and drop from Finder to the All2MP3 window. Done.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Did you try All2MP3, as suggested? It creates an MP3 file and you won't have the problems you're having. There's no need to use Max, Quicktime or Garageband. There's no need to open the file at all. Just drag and drop from Finder to the All2MP3 window. Done.
What's the bit rate in that app. Which actually uses AppleScript .
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:21 PM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
What's the bit rate in that app. Which is actually AppleScript .
I just scanned a .m4v file and the .mp3 is 320kbps.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
I just scanned a .m4v file and the .mp3 is 320kbps.
Ya I just tested it too. I change my vote.

Go with the mp3 one. QT exports as 256Kbps while ALL2MP3 does 320 Kbps without the metadata.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:34 PM   #11
therealseebs
macrumors 6502

Okay. And no, I hadn't tried All2MP3 yet, because the Quicktime Player suggestion wouldn't require a separate download, and the exported audio appears to be identical to the original. So in terms of my actual original problem, QuickTime solves the original issue; it produces a thing which plays the sound and appears to be substantively identical, rather than a reconversion to a new format. (And a data point: Running either of them through All2MP3 produces a bit-for-bit identical file, so the quicktime player export is necessarily of superior quality -- it's a bit-for-bit copy.)

Not at all sure that any force on Earth will be able to convince iTunes to reconsider whether that file is a song or a video, though. It's utterly convinced that this file, which contains no video data whatsoever, is "a video".

Last edited by therealseebs; Jan 9, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:35 PM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Okay. And no, I hadn't tried that yet, because the Quicktime Player suggestion wouldn't require a separate download, and the exported audio appears to be identical to the original.

Not at all sure that any force on Earth will be able to convince iTunes to reconsider whether that file is a song or a video, though. It's utterly convinced that this file, which contains no video data whatsoever, is "a video".
If you use the app I recommended, iTunes will recognize it as a song.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:29 PM   #13
therealseebs
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you use the app I recommended, iTunes will recognize it as a song.
So it appears. But now I have to choose between "re-encoding with the associated loss in quality", and "just extract the raw audio channel, don't change it, and have it look like a song". Annoying that I can't use the smaller-and-higher-quality file.

(Yes, it is by definition higher quality; it hasn't been re-encoded. Any decode-and-reencode is going to have at least some effect on quality.)
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:30 PM   #14
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
So it appears. But now I have to choose between "re-encoding with the associated loss in quality", and "just extract the raw audio channel, don't change it, and have it look like a song". Annoying that I can't use the smaller-and-higher-quality file.

(Yes, it is by definition higher quality; it hasn't been re-encoded. Any decode-and-reencode is going to have at least some effect on quality.)
No human ears would be able to discern the difference.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store