Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
first when i saw a leak of the iPhone 5, i hate the bottom (speaker section) of the new iPhone 5, it looked ugly with its speaker grill with so many dots. after the unveiling day, the iPhone 4S bottom now looks uglier lol, it looks ancient and i prefer the bottom of the iPhone 5.

i love the aluminium design on the back, but what scares me is they combined it with a glass instead a plastic for the signal to go through.

with iPhone 4S, when u drop the back of the iPhone, it's either crack or no scratch at all. when it's cracked, you can buy the backplate for cheap and easily can be changed.

with the iPhone 5, when u drop it on the back, i'm sure there will be dent in the alumunium section and the worst thing is when u crack on of those small glass back, how do u change it? u've got to change the whole unibody case :(

this iPhone 5 might looks sturdier, but i prefer the all glass back because u can exchange it for cheap and easy.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Just use a case or a protective film on the back, problem solved.

I'm going with protective film.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
first when i saw a leak of the iPhone 5, i hate the bottom (speaker section) of the new iPhone 5, it looked ugly with its speaker grill with so many dots. after the unveiling day, the iPhone 4S bottom now looks uglier lol, it looks ancient and i prefer the bottom of the iPhone 5.

i love the aluminium design on the back, but what scares me is they combined it with a glass instead a plastic for the signal to go through.

with iPhone 4S, when u drop the back of the iPhone, it's either crack or no scratch at all. when it's cracked, you can buy the backplate for cheap and easily can be changed.

with the iPhone 5, when u drop it on the back, i'm sure there will be dent in the alumunium section and the worst thing is when u crack on of those small glass back, how do u change it? u've got to change the whole unibody case :(

this iPhone 5 might looks sturdier, but i prefer the all glass back because u can exchange it for cheap and easy.

Everyone thinks the aluminum will dent. This isn't a MacBook pro.. there are no small pieces of open space behind that aluminum backing, it's the battery etc. At most a scratch will occur, and if an actual dent happens, the internals are going to be damaged anyway.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Just use a case or a protective film on the back, problem solved.

I'm going with protective film.

We will have to wait at least a month for that if buying on day 1. Films take a long time to develop, whereas cases can be built based off design mockups.

In regards to the OP's question...the glass is going to be a lot less likely to crack on this one, just because it has a smaller surface area, and theres a good chance the metal is going to take at least some of the force of the drop. Unless it falls on a point (like a sharp rock, or a nail sticking out of the ground), the force isn't going to go entirely into the glass like with the 4/4S.

----------

Everyone thinks the aluminum will dent. This isn't a MacBook pro.. there are no small pieces of open space behind that aluminum backing, it's the battery etc. At most a scratch will occur, and if an actual dent happens, the internals are going to be damaged anyway.

the original iPhone dented occasionally. It was more likely to scratch, but it dented sometimes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.