Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:00 AM   #1
crdean1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crdean1
How Do You Make Pictures Smaller

Hello,

I am going to post a review of a couple of bags/cases in the "buying advice" forum, and I need to make my pictures smaller for macrumors. Can someone give me some advice as to how to do this. I know this is pretty basic, but I have no idea. I am on my work pc, otherwise I would try to figure it out in iPhoto.

Thanks for your help. FYI - I will be reviewing and providing pics for the crumpler considerable embarrassment, booq viper m, and maccase sleeve.

Thanks,

CRD
crdean1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:02 AM   #2
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdean1
Hello,

I am going to post a review of a couple of bags/cases in the "buying advice" forum, and I need to make my pictures smaller for macrumors. Can someone give me some advice as to how to do this. I know this is pretty basic, but I have no idea. I am on my work pc, otherwise I would try to figure it out in iPhoto.

Thanks for your help. FYI - I will be reviewing and providing pics for the crumpler considerable embarrassment, booq viper m, and maccase sleeve.

Thanks,

CRD
Hey CRD,
Your review sounds great. Anyway you can do it a number of ways depending on what programs you have installed. What image software do you have on your pc?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:12 AM   #3
crdean1
macrumors 6502a

I don't believe there is any on my pc. I just use my CF reader to typically send pics.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 08:14 AM   #4
crdean1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdean1
I don't believe there is any on my pc. I just use my CF reader to typically send pics.

Actually, I think I have Kodak Imaging for windows, but doesn't that create a .tiff file? I have never used it. It's an old pc w/ Windows 98.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:59 AM   #5
spongefran
macrumors newbie

If it's just a few pictures, you can do it by hand with MS Paint. If there's a whole bunch you're best off getting a batch converter.

Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->Paint

Open up the file and go to Image-->Stretch/Skew

Put numbers smaller than 100 in the Horizontal and Vertical percentage boxes. For example, if your image is 2048x1536, and you put 50% for both horizontal and vertical, your new image size will be 1028x768.
spongefran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:09 AM   #6
crdean1
macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'll try that!!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:09 AM   #7
GilGrissom
macrumors 65816

Powertoys

If you're on your PC you can get the XP Powertoys, one of which is a handy image resizer. You simply install it (takes a few seconds) and then you just right click on the picture you want to resize and select the resize option from the drop down menu. This will then bring up a little window for you to decide what size you want, either preset values or a customised one to your exact specs.

You can download from the Microsoft site here and select the "image resizer". Otherwise iPhoto is your best bet.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:20 PM   #8
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_Grissom
If you're on your PC you can get the XP Powertoys, one of which is a handy image resizer. You simply install it (takes a few seconds) and then you just right click on the picture you want to resize and select the resize option from the drop down menu. This will then bring up a little window for you to decide what size you want, either preset values or a customised one to your exact specs.
Is there anything like this for OS X? I'm sick of opening ImageReady just to shrink a picture.
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:28 PM   #9
dubbz
macrumors 68020

In Windows, I use IrfanView for all my resizing needs.

Edit: Heh, ooops. Thread wasn't exactly new

Last edited by dubbz; Oct 2, 2005 at 07:31 PM. Reason: m00
dubbz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 08:52 PM   #10
Nermal

Quote:
Last edited by dubbz : Today at 01:31 PM. Reason: m00
But it's not that old either, occasionally you get replies to 2003 threads!
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 01:39 AM   #11
FFTT
macrumors 68030

I use Graphics Converter, free included in OSX to knock down those big
.tiff files to JPEG for Web readiness.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 02:00 AM   #12
aussie_geek
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
Is there anything like this for OS X? I'm sick of opening ImageReady just to shrink a picture.

Just use an Automator Finder plugin. Preview - scale images - and ensure that show action when run is checked in the Automator workflow.

To use the workflow, just control click on the image you want resized, select Automator and then the name of the workflow you have made -i've called mine resize.

A dialogue box comes up asking you what size you want, preserving the aspect ratio's of the original image.

aussie_geek
aussie_geek is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help