Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Hello,

I am going to post a review of a couple of bags/cases in the "buying advice" forum, and I need to make my pictures smaller for macrumors. Can someone give me some advice as to how to do this. :confused: I know this is pretty basic, but I have no idea. I am on my work pc, otherwise I would try to figure it out in iPhoto.

Thanks for your help. FYI - I will be reviewing and providing pics for the crumpler considerable embarrassment, booq viper m, and maccase sleeve.

Thanks,

CRD

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
crdean1 said:
Hello,

I am going to post a review of a couple of bags/cases in the "buying advice" forum, and I need to make my pictures smaller for macrumors. Can someone give me some advice as to how to do this. :confused: I know this is pretty basic, but I have no idea. I am on my work pc, otherwise I would try to figure it out in iPhoto.

Thanks for your help. FYI - I will be reviewing and providing pics for the crumpler considerable embarrassment, booq viper m, and maccase sleeve.

Thanks,

CRD

Hey CRD,
Your review sounds great. Anyway you can do it a number of ways depending on what programs you have installed. What image software do you have on your pc?

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
I don't believe there is any on my pc. I just use my CF reader to typically send pics.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
crdean1 said:
I don't believe there is any on my pc. I just use my CF reader to typically send pics.

Actually, I think I have Kodak Imaging for windows, but doesn't that create a .tiff file? I have never used it. It's an old pc w/ Windows 98.

spongefran

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2005
If it's just a few pictures, you can do it by hand with MS Paint. If there's a whole bunch you're best off getting a batch converter.

Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->Paint

Open up the file and go to Image-->Stretch/Skew

Put numbers smaller than 100 in the Horizontal and Vertical percentage boxes. For example, if your image is 2048x1536, and you put 50% for both horizontal and vertical, your new image size will be 1028x768.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Powertoys

If you're on your PC you can get the XP Powertoys, one of which is a handy image resizer. You simply install it (takes a few seconds) and then you just right click on the picture you want to resize and select the resize option from the drop down menu. This will then bring up a little window for you to decide what size you want, either preset values or a customised one to your exact specs.

You can download from the Microsoft site here and select the "image resizer". Otherwise iPhoto is your best bet.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Gil_Grissom said:
If you're on your PC you can get the XP Powertoys, one of which is a handy image resizer. You simply install it (takes a few seconds) and then you just right click on the picture you want to resize and select the resize option from the drop down menu. This will then bring up a little window for you to decide what size you want, either preset values or a customised one to your exact specs.

Is there anything like this for OS X? I'm sick of opening ImageReady just to shrink a picture.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Nermal said:
Is there anything like this for OS X? I'm sick of opening ImageReady just to shrink a picture.

Just use an Automator Finder plugin. Preview - scale images - and ensure that show action when run is checked in the Automator workflow.

To use the workflow, just control click on the image you want resized, select Automator and then the name of the workflow you have made -i've called mine resize.

A dialogue box comes up asking you what size you want, preserving the aspect ratio's of the original image.

aussie_geek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.