Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:16 AM   #1
joe8232
macrumors regular

Orange UK: How to get a nano sim

Hi all, so I am half way through my current contract with orange with a Galaxy S3 and have just sold it as I couldn't get on with it.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I have just ordered a sim free iphone 5 from apple. My question is how do I go about changing over from a micro sim to a nano sim, should I just try the cut-and-shave or will there be a method that will let me get one from orange since I didn't buy the phone from them?

Cheers.
joe8232 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:19 AM   #2
randystand
macrumors 6502

That's something i'm waiting for aswell. They will provide customers with a sim, but when i have no idea.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:21 AM   #3
AdamPUK
macrumors newbie

Orange UK Nano SIM Nightmare

I ordered my iPhone 5 at 8AM this morning, SIM free from Apple.

My carrier is Orange UK and I am on a SIM only contract.

Straight after ordering it, I phoned Orange and asked to order a Nano SIM.

The CS guy didn't have a clue what a Nano SIM is and thought I was talking about Micro SIMS. I had to keep explaining that a Nano SIM is for iPhone 4, etc and a Nano SIM is for iPhone 5.

Eventually I got passed to another person who also didn't seem very knowledgeable.

On the basis that Orange market SIM Only deals tailored to the iPhone, I think it's ridiculous that they are so clueless.

Has anyone else in the UK on a SIM Only deal had more luck ordering a Nano SIM? And if so, with which network?

The thing is, if I want LTE/4G, I ideally need to stick with Orange and convert to EE when it's launched.
AdamPUK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:23 AM   #4
domodazzzle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPUK View Post
I ordered my iPhone 5 at 8AM this morning, SIM free from Apple.

My carrier is Orange UK and I am on a SIM only contract.

The CS guy didn't have a clue what a Nano SIM is and thought I was talking about Micro SIMS. I had to keep explaining that a Nano SIM is for iPhone 4, etc and a Nano SIM is for iPhone 5.

Eventually I got passed to another person who also didn't seem very knowledgeable.

On the basis that Orange market SIM Only deals tailored to the iPhone, I think it's ridiculous that they are so clueless.

Has anyone else in the UK on a SIM Only deal had more luck ordering a Nano SIM? And if so, with which network?

The thing is, if I want LTE/4G, I ideally need to stick with Orange and convert to EE when it's launched.
The lady said to me that they don't have any nano sims in atall yet and when they do they'll be going to new and existing customers that have ordered an iPhone 5 through them first. Apparently they won't have nano sims in for people who just want the sim for atleast another month D:
domodazzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:23 AM   #5
joe8232
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPUK View Post

Guess it is still very early days, i'd just like to know that I am going to be able to use the iphone 5 when it gets here - even if not on day one!

I just ordered 4 of the orange free sims just to practice cutting them down to nano size! I know it says they are thicker, but i'm banking on the fact that it is such a small difference that it won't matter!

Last edited by OllyW; Sep 14, 2012 at 03:47 AM. Reason: clean up after thread merge
joe8232 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:34 AM   #6
AdamPUK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodazzzle View Post
The lady said to me that they don't have any nano sims in atall yet and when they do they'll be going to new and existing customers that have ordered an iPhone 5 through them first. Apparently they won't have nano sims in for people who just want the sim for atleast another month D:
Wow, a month is a long time. Surely Orange must have known the iPhone 5 was going to come with a Nano SIM. It seems really poor that they were not prepared, especially when apparently Vodafone have stockpiled them. Frustrating.
AdamPUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:44 AM   #7
randystand
macrumors 6502

If they say that tell them you will cancel your Direct Debit and refuse to pay for your contract. They'll **** themselves then.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:47 AM   #8
domodazzzle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8232 View Post
Guess it is still very early days, i'd just like to know that I am going to be able to use the iphone 5 when it gets here - even if not on day one!

I just ordered 4 of the orange free sims just to practice cutting them down to nano size! I know it says they are thicker, but i'm banking on the fact that it is such a small difference that it won't matter!
I'm doing this too! Aslong as the free sims work after they've been cut down I'll be cutting my own too!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Lyrical
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodazzzle View Post
They dont have a choice. If they dont send me a nano sim then I aint paying for the contract.
Lyrical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:54 AM   #10
randystand
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrical View Post
They dont have a choice. If they dont send me a nano sim then I aint paying for the contract.
Nor am I.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:56 AM   #11
Big Stevie
macrumors 6502a

Im waiting to see if orange can supply a nano sim before ordering my ip5 from apple. Frustrating to say the least.
Big Stevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:57 AM   #12
JamesM
macrumors regular

Been on hold 53 minutes
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:09 AM   #13
Lyrical
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Im waiting to see if orange can supply a nano sim before ordering my ip5 from apple. Frustrating to say the least.
Its a shame aint it. Three has had the nano sims since yesterday. Might move to them, my contract finishes in December.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:11 AM   #14
alflavor
macrumors regular

If this is the case I'll sit tight for a week or two, get an unlocked 5 in Oct and get my nano sim from orange then. iOS6 on the 4S will have to do for now!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:12 AM   #15
JamesM
macrumors regular

Finally spoke to someone after 1:03 and he said he was going email the sales dapartment to sort it out for me but it didn't sound promising at all.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:15 AM   #16
BadBrownBear
macrumors newbie

Just been on the phone to orange. Said there is no nano atm, check website later, call next week. Didn't have a clue.
BadBrownBear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:16 AM   #17
Lyrical
macrumors regular

This is really annoying. How did three do it, yet these other networks havent got a clue
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:28 AM   #18
tombrookes
macrumors newbie

Just emailed orange

Just sent an email and got one back saying they couldnt reply, I am worried that i will get the iphone 5 and wont be able to use it for a month This is a let down from orange
tombrookes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:34 AM   #19
JamesM
macrumors regular

Looks like I'm cutting mine then
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:36 AM   #20
tombrookes
macrumors newbie

apparently the nano sim is 108mm thin and the micro sim is 180mm so it might be harder than we think
tombrookes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:38 AM   #21
JamesM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrookes View Post
apparently the nano sim is 108mm thin and the micro sim is 180mm so it might be harder than we think
I thought about that but can't see the tolerances being that tight, suppose we'll find out
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:38 AM   #22
domodazzzle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Looks like I'm cutting mine then
I'm waiting for someone to confirm that a cut down micro sim will work as a nano sim. There seems to be conflicting information online saying that the gold contacts are different, but surely this isn't the case since networks are providing adapters to make nano sims into micro and regular sims.

If it can be done I'd probably recommend following this guide that I found online!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:38 AM   #23
cosmic68
macrumors regular

I am increasingly hearing that the pre ordered iPhone 5 will have a nano sim in it already-so basically you will only have to enter some details on Oranges website-ie enter the nano sim serial number with your details and everything should transfer.

O2 have a page up already to this, but if you have twitter-search O2 and nano sim and their official response to 100's of enquiries is that the iPhone will already have it inside.
cosmic68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:39 AM   #24
logicpro7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sandpaper the rear! It's only a few 0.mm
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:41 AM   #25
domodazzzle
macrumors member

Quote:
I don't think that's quite right, from what I've read the difference between the micro and nano in terms of thickness is less than 1mm (apparently it's around 0.9 which is close to the width of a human hair). I'll probably just sand the back down a bit with a nail file.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic68 View Post
I am increasingly hearing that the pre ordered iPhone 5 will have a nano sim in it already-so basically you will only have to enter some details on Oranges website-ie enter the nano sim serial number with your details and everything should transfer.

O2 have a page up already to this, but if you have twitter-search O2 and nano sim and their official response to 100's of enquiries is that the iPhone will already have it inside.
but the sim free ones from Apples website won't come with sims because they don't ask which network D:

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone