Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Hi all, so I am half way through my current contract with orange with a Galaxy S3 and have just sold it as I couldn't get on with it.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I have just ordered a sim free iphone 5 from apple. My question is how do I go about changing over from a micro sim to a nano sim, should I just try the cut-and-shave or will there be a method that will let me get one from orange since I didn't buy the phone from them?

Cheers.

randystand

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
That's something i'm waiting for aswell. They will provide customers with a sim, but when i have no idea.

AdamPUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Orange UK Nano SIM Nightmare

I ordered my iPhone 5 at 8AM this morning, SIM free from Apple.

My carrier is Orange UK and I am on a SIM only contract.

Straight after ordering it, I phoned Orange and asked to order a Nano SIM.

The CS guy didn't have a clue what a Nano SIM is and thought I was talking about Micro SIMS. I had to keep explaining that a Nano SIM is for iPhone 4, etc and a Nano SIM is for iPhone 5.

Eventually I got passed to another person who also didn't seem very knowledgeable.

On the basis that Orange market SIM Only deals tailored to the iPhone, I think it's ridiculous that they are so clueless.

Has anyone else in the UK on a SIM Only deal had more luck ordering a Nano SIM? And if so, with which network?

The thing is, if I want LTE/4G, I ideally need to stick with Orange and convert to EE when it's launched.

domodazzzle

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I ordered my iPhone 5 at 8AM this morning, SIM free from Apple.

My carrier is Orange UK and I am on a SIM only contract.

The CS guy didn't have a clue what a Nano SIM is and thought I was talking about Micro SIMS. I had to keep explaining that a Nano SIM is for iPhone 4, etc and a Nano SIM is for iPhone 5.

Eventually I got passed to another person who also didn't seem very knowledgeable.

On the basis that Orange market SIM Only deals tailored to the iPhone, I think it's ridiculous that they are so clueless.

Has anyone else in the UK on a SIM Only deal had more luck ordering a Nano SIM? And if so, with which network?

The thing is, if I want LTE/4G, I ideally need to stick with Orange and convert to EE when it's launched.

The lady said to me that they don't have any nano sims in atall yet and when they do they'll be going to new and existing customers that have ordered an iPhone 5 through them first. Apparently they won't have nano sims in for people who just want the sim for atleast another month D:

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005

Guess it is still very early days, i'd just like to know that I am going to be able to use the iphone 5 when it gets here - even if not on day one!

I just ordered 4 of the orange free sims just to practice cutting them down to nano size! I know it says they are thicker, but i'm banking on the fact that it is such a small difference that it won't matter!

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamPUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
The lady said to me that they don't have any nano sims in atall yet and when they do they'll be going to new and existing customers that have ordered an iPhone 5 through them first. Apparently they won't have nano sims in for people who just want the sim for atleast another month D:
Wow, a month is a long time. Surely Orange must have known the iPhone 5 was going to come with a Nano SIM. It seems really poor that they were not prepared, especially when apparently Vodafone have stockpiled them. Frustrating.

randystand

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
If they say that tell them you will cancel your Direct Debit and refuse to pay for your contract. They'll **** themselves then.

domodazzzle

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Guess it is still very early days, i'd just like to know that I am going to be able to use the iphone 5 when it gets here - even if not on day one!

I just ordered 4 of the orange free sims just to practice cutting them down to nano size! I know it says they are thicker, but i'm banking on the fact that it is such a small difference that it won't matter!

I'm doing this too! Aslong as the free sims work after they've been cut down I'll be cutting my own too!

Lyrical

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012

They dont have a choice. If they dont send me a nano sim then I aint paying for the contract.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Im waiting to see if orange can supply a nano sim before ordering my ip5 from apple. Frustrating to say the least.

Lyrical

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Im waiting to see if orange can supply a nano sim before ordering my ip5 from apple. Frustrating to say the least.

Its a shame aint it. Three has had the nano sims since yesterday. Might move to them, my contract finishes in December.

alflavor

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2010
Whittlesey, UK
If this is the case I'll sit tight for a week or two, get an unlocked 5 in Oct and get my nano sim from orange then. iOS6 on the 4S will have to do for now!

JamesM

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2007
Finally spoke to someone after 1:03 and he said he was going email the sales dapartment to sort it out for me but it didn't sound promising at all.

BadBrownBear

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Just been on the phone to orange. Said there is no nano atm, check website later, call next week. Didn't have a clue.

Lyrical

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
This is really annoying. How did three do it, yet these other networks havent got a clue :(

tombrookes

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Just emailed orange

Just sent an email and got one back saying they couldnt reply, I am worried that i will get the iphone 5 and wont be able to use it for a month :eek: This is a let down from orange

tombrookes

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
apparently the nano sim is 108mm thin and the micro sim is 180mm so it might be harder than we think :mad:

domodazzzle

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Looks like I'm cutting mine then

I'm waiting for someone to confirm that a cut down micro sim will work as a nano sim. There seems to be conflicting information online saying that the gold contacts are different, but surely this isn't the case since networks are providing adapters to make nano sims into micro and regular sims.

If it can be done I'd probably recommend following this guide that I found online!

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
I am increasingly hearing that the pre ordered iPhone 5 will have a nano sim in it already-so basically you will only have to enter some details on Oranges website-ie enter the nano sim serial number with your details and everything should transfer.

O2 have a page up already to this, but if you have twitter-search O2 and nano sim and their official response to 100's of enquiries is that the iPhone will already have it inside.

domodazzzle

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
apparently the nano sim is 108mm thin and the micro sim is 180mm so it might be harder than we think :mad:

I don't think that's quite right, from what I've read the difference between the micro and nano in terms of thickness is less than 1mm (apparently it's around 0.9 which is close to the width of a human hair). I'll probably just sand the back down a bit with a nail file.

----------

I am increasingly hearing that the pre ordered iPhone 5 will have a nano sim in it already-so basically you will only have to enter some details on Oranges website-ie enter the nano sim serial number with your details and everything should transfer.

O2 have a page up already to this, but if you have twitter-search O2 and nano sim and their official response to 100's of enquiries is that the iPhone will already have it inside.

but the sim free ones from Apples website won't come with sims because they don't ask which network D:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.