Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
Hello everyone.

Apple launched Mac OS X 10.7 USB thumb drive, a bit after the download option from Mac App Store. I bought it and it has been quite handful in emergency situations.

I really wish that Apple would do the same with Mac OS X 10.8. I would by it as well.

Does anyone have a clue regarding what Apple might do in this case?

Thank you for your time.

mjcharlton71

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
They're likely going to do nothing to be honest.

Your best bet is to grab an 8GB USB stick of reasonable quality, the InstallESD.dmg file for ML and build your own thumb drive.

It's fairly simple to do yourself, or you could use the trial version of Carbon Copy Cloner to build it for you.

You'll end up with a key that's exactly the same as what Apple themselves would have sold you, only you'll not be paying anywhere near as much and you can easily update it to the latest version of ML whenever Apple update it.

It cost me about £6ish for a thumb drive and I'd already bought ML, so that's a considerable saving above the old Apple thumb drive.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Like MJ said, I don't think they are going to sell the USB key this time.

Just redownload from the app store and use this free app to make your own USB key. It is pretty easy.

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
Money is money!

Like MJ said, I don't think they are going to sell the USB key this time.

Just redownload from the app store and use this free app to make your own USB key. It is pretty easy.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Weaselboy, I've checked the app it sounds great. I didn't know it would do the same with 10.6. Also interesting are all the possibilities, including FW drives. If it worked supported 10.5 would be awesome, since I'm no longer interested in optical drives.

Does anyone know an app that supports 10.5?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.